September 4: Day of the Week
September 4, 2023 was the 247th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 118 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters BDOENEOHIPPTC? Check your answers here: Unscramble words BDOENEOHIPPTC. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the September calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Sapphire is the modern birthstone for this month. Agate is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
September 4 Historical Event(s)
- 626Li Shimin, posthumously known as Emperor Taizong of Tang, assumes the throne over the Tang Dynasty of China.
- 1774New Caledonia is first sighted by Europeans, during the second voyage of Captain James Cook.
- 1862Civil War Maryland Campaign: General Robert E. Lee takes the Army of Northern Virginia, and the war, into the North.
- 1919Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, who founded the Republic of Turkey, gathers a congress in Sivas to make decisions as to the future of Anatolia and Thrace.
- 1944World War II: Finland exits from the war with Soviet Union.
- 1948Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands abdicates for health reasons.
- 1956The IBM RAMAC 305 is introduced, the first commercial computer to use magnetic disk storage.
- 1963Swissair Flight 306 crashes near Dürrenäsch, Switzerland, killing all 80 people on board.
- 1996War on Drugs: Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) attack a military base in Guaviare, starting three weeks of guerrilla warfare in which at least 130 Colombians are killed.
- 2010Canterbury earthquake: a 7.1 magnitude earthquake which struck the South Island of New Zealand at 4:35 am causing widespread damage and several power outages.
Who were born on September 4?
- 1913Stanford Moore, American chemist, Nobel laureate (d. 1982)
- 1927Ferenc Sánta, Hungarian writer (d. 2008)
- 1928Dick York, American actor (d. 1992)
- 1937Gene Ludwig, American jazz organist (d. 2010)
- 1945Danny Gatton, American musician (d. 1994)
- 1951Martin Chambers, English drummer (The Pretenders)
- 1955Garth Le Roux, former South African cricketer
- 1959Kevin Harrington, Australian actor
- 1963John Vanbiesbrouck, American hockey player
- 1974Carmit Bachar, American musician (Pussycat Dolls)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.