September 8: Day of the Week
September 8, 2019 was the 251st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 114 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the September calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Sapphire is the modern birthstone for this month. Agate is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Suzanne’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
September 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1796French Revolutionary Wars: Battle of Bassano – French forces defeat Austrian troops at Bassano del Grappa.
- 1831William IV and Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen are crowned King and Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.
- 1888In London, the body of Jack the Ripper’s second murder victim, Annie Chapman, is found.
- 1934Off the New Jersey coast, a fire aboard the passenger liner SS Morro Castle kills 135 people.
- 1935US Senator from Louisiana, Huey Long, nicknamed “Kingfish”, is fatally shot in the Louisiana capitol building.
- 1960In Huntsville, Alabama, US President Dwight D. Eisenhower formally dedicates the Marshall Space Flight Center (NASA had already activated the facility on July 1).
- 1966The Severn Bridge is officially opened by Queen Elizabeth II.
- 1967The formal end of steam traction in the North East of England by British Railways.
- 1971In Washington, D.C., the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts is inaugurated, with the opening feature being the premiere of Leonard Bernstein’s Mass.
- 1991The Republic of Macedonia becomes independent.
Who were born on September 8?
- 1588Marin Mersenne, French mathematician (d. 1648)
- 1895Sara García, Mexican actress (d. 1980)
- 1905Henry Wilcoxon, British film actor (d. 1984)
- 1917Jan Sedivka, Czech-Australian violinist (d. 2009)
- 1923Rasul Gamzatov, Avar poet (d. 2003)
- 1933Eric Salzman, American composer
- 1969Chris Powell, English footballer
- 1974Tanaz Eshaghian, Iranian-born American documentarian
- 1980Teruyuki Moniwa, Japanese footballer
- 1987Wiz Khalifa, American hip-hop artist
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.