September 8: Day of the Week
September 8, 2019 is the 251st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 114 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the September calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Sapphire is the modern birthstone for this month. Agate is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
September 8 Historical Event(s)
- 70Roman forces under Titus sack Jerusalem.
- 1331Stephen Uroš IV Dušan declares himself king of Serbia
- 1504Michelangelo’s David is unveiled in Florence.
- 1565The Knights of Malta lift the Turkish siege of Malta that began on May 18.
- 1888In London, the body of Jack the Ripper’s second murder victim, Annie Chapman, is found.
- 1935US Senator from Louisiana, Huey Long, nicknamed “Kingfish”, is fatally shot in the Louisiana capitol building.
- 1945Cold War: United States troops arrive to partition the southern part of Korea in response to Soviet troops occupying the northern part of the peninsula a month earlier.
- 1965Pakistan Navy raids Indian coasts without any resistance in Operation Dwarka, Pakistan celebrates Victory Day annually.
- 1975Gays in the military: US Air Force Tech Sergeant Leonard Matlovich, a decorated veteran of the Vietnam War, appears in his Air Force uniform on the cover of Time magazine with the headline “I Am A Homosexual”. He is given a general discharge, which was later upgraded to honorable.
- 2004NASA’s unmanned spacecraft Genesis crash-lands when its parachute fails to open.
Who were born on September 8?
- 1919Gianni Brera, Italian journalist and writer (d. 1992)
- 1930Mario Adorf, Swiss-born German actor
- 1937Barbara Frum, Canadian news anchor (d. 1992)
- 1939Guitar Shorty, American musician
- 1962Christopher Klim, American novelist
- 1974Marios Agathokleous, Greek-Cypriot footballer
- 1984Vitaly Petrov, Russian racing driver
- 1986Matt Grothe, American football player
- 1987Alexandre Bilodeau, Canadian freestyle skier
- 1990Matt Barkley, American football player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.