September 9: Day of the Week
September 9, 2019 was the 252nd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 113 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the September calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Sapphire is the modern birthstone for this month. Agate is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Georgia’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
September 9 Historical Event(s)
- 9Arminius’ alliance of six Germanic tribes ambushes and annihilates three Roman legions of Publius Quinctilius Varus in the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest.
- 1493Battle of Krbava field, a decisive defeat of Croats in Croatian struggle against the invasion by the Ottoman Empire.
- 1914World War I: The creation of the Canadian Automobile Machine Gun Brigade, the first fully mechanized unit in the British Army.
- 1922The Greco-Turkish War of 1919-1922 effectively ends with Turkish victory over the Greeks in Smyrna.
- 1926The U.S. National Broadcasting Company is formed.
- 1940George Stibitz pioneers the first remote operation of a computer.
- 1945Second Sino-Japanese War: Japan formally surrenders to China.
- 1947First actual case of a computer bug being found: a moth lodges in a relay of a Harvard Mark II computer at Harvard University.
- 2001Ahmed Shah Massoud, leader of the Northern Alliance, is assassinated in Afghanistan by two al Qaeda assassins who claimed to be Arab journalists wanting an interview.
- 20042004 Australian embassy bombing: A bomb explodes outside the Australian embassy in Jakarta, killing 10 people.
Who were born on September 9?
- 1466Ashikaga Yoshitane, Japanese shogun (d. 1523)
- 1878Sergio Osmeña, 4th President of the Philippines (d. 1961)
- 1922Warwick Kerr, Brazilian geneticist
- 1923Cliff Robertson, American actor (d. 2011)
- 1946Doug Ingle, American musician (Iron Butterfly)
- 1948Pamela Des Barres, American groupie and author
- 1951Alexander Downer, Australian politician
- 1965Dan Majerle, American basketball player
- 1968Clive Mendonca, English footballer
- 1987Afrojack, Dutch music producer and DJ
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.