September 9: Day of the Week
September 9, 2020 is the 253rd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 113 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the September calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Sapphire is the modern birthstone for this month. Agate is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Hugh’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
September 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1776The Continental Congress officially names its new union of sovereign states the United States.
- 1855Crimean War: The Siege of Sevastopol comes to an end when Russian forces abandon the city.
- 1886The Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works is finalized.
- 1923Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, the founder of the Republic of Turkey, founds the Republican People’s Party.
- 1939Burmese national hero U Ottama dies in prison after a hunger strike to protest Britain’s colonial government.
- 1942World War II: A Japanese floatplane drops incendiary bombs on Oregon.
- 1944World War II: The Fatherland Front takes power in Bulgaria through a military coup in the capital and armed rebellion in the country. A new pro-Soviet government is established.
- 1966The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act is signed into law by U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson.
- 1970A British airliner is hijacked by the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine and flown to Dawson’s Field in Jordan.
- 1971The four-day Attica Prison riot begins, which eventually results in 39 dead, most killed by state troopers retaking the prison.
Who were born on September 9?
- 1349Duke Albert III of Austria (d. 1395)
- 1558Philippe Emmanuel, Duke of Mercoeur, French soldier (d. 1602)
- 1878Sergio Osmeña, 4th President of the Philippines (d. 1961)
- 1960Bob Hartley, Canadian ice hockey head coach
- 1972Goran Višnjić, Croatian actor
- 1976Juan A. Baptista, Venezuelan actor
- 1982Graham Onions, English cricketer
- 1983Katy Steele, Australian guitarist, singer and songwriter for Little Birdy
- 1983Vitolo, Spanish footballer
- 1988Manuela Arbeláez, Colombian model
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.