Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1497 Historical Event(s)
- February 7, 1497 – The bonfire of the vanities occurs in which supporters of Girolamo Savonarola burn thousands of objects like cosmetics, art, and books in Florence, Italy.
- May 10, 1497 – Amerigo Vespucci allegedly leaves Cádiz for his first voyage to the New World.
- May 13, 1497 – Pope Alexander VI excommunicates Girolamo Savonarola.
- May 20, 1497 – John Cabot sets sail from Bristol, England, on his ship Ship looking for a route to the west (other documents give a May 2 date).
- June 17, 1497 – Battle of Deptford Bridge – forces under King Henry VII defeat troops led by Michael An Gof.
- June 24, 1497 – John Cabot lands in North America at Newfoundland leading the first European exploration of the region since the Vikings.
- June 27, 1497 – Cornish rebels Michael An Gof and Thomas Flamank are executed at Tyburn, London, England.
- July 8, 1497 – Vasco da Gama sets sail on the first direct European voyage to India.
- December 16, 1497 – Vasco da Gama rounds the Cape of Good Hope, the point where Bartolomeu Dias had previously turned back to Portugal.
Who Were Born On 1497?
- January 26, 1497 – Emperor Go-Nara of Japan (d. 1557)
- February 16, 1497 – Philipp Melanchthon, German humanist and reformer (d. 1560)