Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters XOXOYO? Check your answers here: Word finder XOXOYO. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
1498 Historical Event(s)
- May 18, 1498 – Vasco da Gama reaches the port of Calicut, India.
- May 20, 1498 – Portuguese explorer Vasco da Gama arrives at Kozhikode (previously known as Calicut), India.
- May 23, 1498 – Girolamo Savonarola is burned at the stake in Florence, Italy, on the orders of Pope Alexander VI.
- July 31, 1498 – On his third voyage to the Western Hemisphere, Christopher Columbus becomes the first European to discover the island of Trinidad.
- August 1, 1498 – Christopher Columbus becomes the first European to visit what is now Venezuela.
- August 26, 1498 – Michelangelo is commissioned to carve the Pietà.
- August 29, 1498 – Vasco da Gama decides to depart Calicut and return to Portugal.
- September 20, 1498 – The 1498 Meiō Nankaidō earthquake generates a tsunami that washes away the building housing the statue of the Great Buddha at Kōtoku-in in Kamakura, Kanagawa, Japan; since then the Buddha has sat in the open air.
Who Were Born On 1498?
- April 9, 1498 – John, Cardinal of Lorraine, French churchman (d. 1550)
- November 15, 1498 – Eleanor of Austria, Queen of Portugal and France (d. 1558)
- November 30, 1498 – Andrés de Urdaneta, Spanish Augustinian friar, sail-captain and explorer (d. 1568)