Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1799 Historical Event(s)
- January 17, 1799 – Maltese patriot Dun Mikiel Xerri, along with a number of other patriots, is executed.
- April 16, 1799 – Napoleonic Wars: The Battle of Mount Tabor – Napoleon drives Ottoman Turks across the River Jordan near Acre.
- May 4, 1799 – Fourth Anglo-Mysore War: The Battle of Seringapatam: The siege of Seringapatam ends when the city is invaded and Tipu Sultan killed by the besieging British army, under the command of General George Harris.
- May 27, 1799 – War of the Second Coalition: Austrian forces defeats the French at Winterthur, Switzerland, securing control of the northeastern Swiss Plateau because of the town’s location at the junction of seven cross-roads.
- July 25, 1799 – At Aboukir in Egypt, Napoleon I of France defeats 10,000 Ottomans under Mustafa Pasha.
- August 23, 1799 – Napoleon leaves Egypt for France en route to seize power.
- August 30, 1799 – The entire Dutch fleet is captured by British forces under the command of Sir Ralph Abercromby and Admiral Sir Charles Mitchell during the Second Coalition of the French Revolutionary Wars.
- September 19, 1799 – French Revolutionary Wars: French-Dutch victory against the Russians and British in the Battle of Bergen.
- December 3, 1799 – War of the Second Coalition: Battle of Wiesloch, Austrian Lieutenant Field Marshal Sztáray de Nagy-Mihaly defeats the French at Wiesloch.
- December 26, 1799 – Four thousand people attend George Washington’s funeral where Henry Lee declares him as “first in war, first in peace and first in the hearts of his countrymen.”
Who Were Born On 1799?
- January 6, 1799 – Jedediah Strong Smith, American hunter and explorer (d. 1831)
- February 4, 1799 – Almeida Garrett, Portuguese writer (d. 1854)
- February 11, 1799 – The Blessed Father Basil Anthony Marie Patrice Moreau, Founder of the Congregation of Holy Cross (d. 1873)
- February 26, 1799 – Émile Clapeyron, French engineer and physicist (d. 1864)
- May 20, 1799 – Honoré de Balzac, French novelist (d. 1850)
- June 6, 1799 – Alexander Pushkin, Russian poet (d. 1837)
- June 23, 1799 – John Milton Bernhisel, American physician (d. 1881)
- November 17, 1799 – Titian Peale, American artist (d. 1885)
- November 29, 1799 – Amos Bronson Alcott, American writer, Transcendentalist philosopher, 1st superintendent for a school district (d. 1888)
- December 12, 1799 – Karl Briullov, Russian painter (d. 1852)