Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters HOAWBOEEQJY? Check your answers here: Word scramble HOAWBOEEQJY. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
1808 Historical Event(s)
- January 12, 1808 – The organizational meeting that led to the creation of the Wernerian Natural History Society, a former Scottish learned society, is held in Edinburgh.
- February 11, 1808 – Jesse Fell burns anthracite on an open grate as an experiment in heating homes with coal.
- March 2, 1808 – The inaugural meeting of the Wernerian Natural History Society, a former Scottish learned society, is held in Edinburgh.
- May 2, 1808 – Outbreak of the Peninsular War: The people of Madrid rise up in rebellion against French occupation. Francisco de Goya later memorializes this event in his painting The Second of May 1808.
- May 3, 1808 – Peninsular War: The Madrid rebels who rose up on May 2 are executed near Príncipe Pío hill.
- August 21, 1808 – Battle of Vimeiro: British and Portuguese forces led by General Arthur Wellesley defeat French force under Major-General Jean-Andoche Junot near the village of Vimeiro, Portugal, the first Anglo-Portuguese victory of the Peninsular War.
- September 13, 1808 – Finnish War: In the Battle of Jutas, Swedish forces under Lieutenant General Georg Carl von Döbeln beat the Russians, making von Döbeln a Swedish war hero.
- September 14, 1808 – Finnish War: Russians defeat the Swedes in the bloody Battle of Oravais.
- October 14, 1808 – The Republic of Ragusa is annexed by France.
- December 20, 1808 – Peninsular War: The Siege of Zaragoza begins.
Who Were Born On 1808?
- January 19, 1808 – Lysander Spooner, American philosopher (d. 1887)
- February 4, 1808 – Josef Kajetán Tyl, Czech playwright, author of the Czech national anthem (d. 1856)
- April 13, 1808 – Antonio Meucci, Italian inventor (d. 1889)
- May 2, 1808 – Emma Wedgwood, English naturalist, wife of Charles Darwin, (d. 1896)
- May 22, 1808 – Gérard de Nerval, French writer (d. 1855)
- June 3, 1808 – Jefferson Davis, American politician and President of the Confederate States of America (d. 1889)
- June 17, 1808 – Henrik Wergeland, Norwegian poet, playwright and linguist (d. 1845)
- August 3, 1808 – Hamilton Fish, American politician (d. 1893)
- November 19, 1808 – Janez Bleiweis, Slovenian politician (d. 1881)
- December 29, 1808 – Andrew Johnson, 17th President of the United States (d. 1875)