What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out John’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
1809 Historical Event(s)
- January 16, 1809 – Peninsular War: The British defeat the French at the Battle of La Coruña.
- March 13, 1809 – Gustav IV Adolf of Sweden is deposed in a coup d'état.
- April 21, 1809 – Two Austrian army corps are driven from Landshut by a First French Empire army led by Napoleon I of France as two French corps to the north hold off the main Austrian army on the first day of the Battle of Eckmühl.
- May 17, 1809 – Napoleon I of France orders the annexation of the Papal States to the French Empire.
- July 5, 1809 – The Battle of Wagram, the largest of the Napoleonic Wars.
- July 16, 1809 – The city of La Paz, in what is today Bolivia, declares its independence from the Spanish Crown during the La Paz revolution and forms the Junta Tuitiva, the first independent government in Spanish America, led by Pedro Domingo Murillo.
- July 28, 1809 – Peninsular War: Battle of Talavera – Sir Arthur Wellesley’s British, Portuguese and Spanish army defeats a French force led by Joseph Bonaparte.
- September 17, 1809 – Peace between Sweden and Russia in the Finnish War. The territory to become Finland is ceded to Russia by the Treaty of Fredrikshamn.
- October 11, 1809 – Along the Natchez Trace in Tennessee, explorer Meriwether Lewis dies under mysterious circumstances at an inn called Grinder’s Stand.
- December 13, 1809 – Dr. Ephraim McDowell performed the first ovariotomy, removing a 22 pound tumor.
Who Were Born On 1809?
- January 15, 1809 – Pierre-Joseph Proudhon, French anarchist (d. 1865)
- February 23, 1809 – William Sprague, American minister and politician from Michigan (d. 1868)
- March 15, 1809 – Karl Josef von Hefele, German theologian (d. 1893)
- March 31, 1809 – Otto Lindblad, Swedish composer (d. 1864)
- August 9, 1809 – William Barret Travis, American Battle of the Alamo figure (d. 1836)
- August 29, 1809 – Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr., American physician and writer (d. 1894)
- September 28, 1809 – Alvan Wentworth Chapman, American physician and botanist (d. 1899)
- October 22, 1809 – Volney E. Howard, American politician (d. 1889)
- November 13, 1809 – John A. Dahlgren, American Navy admiral (d. 1870)
- December 29, 1809 – William Ewart Gladstone, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (d. 1898)