Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1817 Historical Event(s)
- January 19, 1817 – An army of 5,423 soldiers, led by General José de San Martín, crosses the Andes from Argentina to liberate Chile and then Peru.
- February 6, 1817 – The Argentinian San Martín crosses the Andes with an army in order to liberate Chile from Spanish rule.
- February 8, 1817 – Las Heras crosses the Andes with an army to join San Martín and liberate Chile from Spain.
- February 12, 1817 – An Argentine/Chilean patriotic army, after crossing the Andes, defeats Spanish troops on the Battle of Chacabuco.
- March 8, 1817 – The New York Stock Exchange is founded.
- April 15, 1817 – Thomas Hopkins Gallaudet and Laurent Clerc founded the American School for the Deaf, the first American school for deaf students, in Hartford, Connecticut.
- May 15, 1817 – Opening of the first private mental health hospital in the United States, the Asylum for the Relief of Persons Deprived of the Use of Their Reason (now Friends Hospital) in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- June 5, 1817 – The first Great Lakes steamer, the Frontenac, is launched.
- July 4, 1817 – At Rome, New York, United States, construction on the Erie Canal begins.
- December 10, 1817 – Mississippi becomes the 20th U.S. state.
Who Were Born On 1817?
- February 22, 1817 – Carl Wilhelm Borchardt, German mathematician (d. 1880)
- March 22, 1817 – Braxton Bragg, American Confederate general (d. 1876)
- May 15, 1817 – Debendranath Tagore, Indian religious reformer (d. 1905)
- June 26, 1817 – Branwell Bronte, British painter and poet (d. 1848)
- August 25, 1817 – Marie-Eugénie de Jésus, Founder of the Religious of the Assumption (d. 1898)
- September 6, 1817 – Alexander Tilloch Galt, Canadian politician (d. 1893)
- November 12, 1817 – Bahá'u'lláh, Persian spiritual figure (d. 1892)
- November 25, 1817 – John Bigelow, American statesman and author (d. 1911)
- December 2, 1817 – Heinrich von Sybel, German historian (d. 1895)
- December 8, 1817 – Christian Emil Krag-Juel-Vind-Frijs, Danish nobleman and politician (d. 1896)