Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters UVXFTIOJAZ? Check your answers here: Word scramble UVXFTIOJAZ. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
1842 Historical Event(s)
- January 13, 1842 – Dr. William Brydon, an assistant surgeon in the British East India Company Army during the First Anglo-Afghan War, becomes famous for being the sole survivor of an army of 4,500 men and 12,000 camp followers when he reaches the safety of a garrison in Jalalabad.
- February 21, 1842 – John Greenough is granted the first U.S. patent for the sewing machine.
- March 9, 1842 – The first documented discovery of gold in California occurs at Rancho San Francisco, six years before the California Gold Rush.
- March 17, 1842 – The Relief Society of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is formed;
- March 30, 1842 – Anesthesia is used for the first time, in an operation by the American surgeon Dr. Crawford Long.
- May 30, 1842 – John Francis attempts to murder Queen Victoria as she drives down Constitution Hill, London with Prince Albert.
- August 9, 1842 – The Webster-Ashburton Treaty is signed, establishing the United States-Canada border east of the Rocky Mountains.
- August 29, 1842 – Treaty of Nanking signing ends the First Opium War.
- November 26, 1842 – The University of Notre Dame is founded.
Who Were Born On 1842?
- January 10, 1842 – Luigi Pigorini, Italian palaeoethnologist, archaeologist and ethnographer (d. 1925)
- February 7, 1842 – Alexandre Ribot, French statesman (d. 1923)
- March 1, 1842 – Nikolaos Gyzis, Greek painter (d. 1901)
- April 17, 1842 – Maurice Rouvier, French statesman (d. 1911)
- June 11, 1842 – Carl von Linde, German engineer and industrialist (d. 1934)
- September 21, 1842 – Abdul Hamid II, Ottoman Sultan (d. 1918)
- September 29, 1842 – Louis J. Weichmann, chief witness in the trial of the assassination of Abraham Lincoln (d. 1902)
- October 27, 1842 – Giovanni Giolitti, Italian statesman (d. 1928)
- November 12, 1842 – John Strutt, 3rd Baron Rayleigh, English physicist, Nobel laureate (d. 1919)
- December 17, 1842 – Sophus Lie, Norwegian mathematician; (d. 1899)