Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters AGJEKWU? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters AGJEKWU. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
1842 Historical Event(s)
- January 13, 1842 – Dr. William Brydon, an assistant surgeon in the British East India Company Army during the First Anglo-Afghan War, becomes famous for being the sole survivor of an army of 4,500 men and 12,000 camp followers when he reaches the safety of a garrison in Jalalabad.
- February 7, 1842 – Battle of Debre Tabor: Ras Ali Alula, Regent of the Emperor of Ethiopia defeats warlord Wube Haile Maryam of Semien.
- February 21, 1842 – John Greenough is granted the first U.S. patent for the sewing machine.
- March 9, 1842 – The first documented discovery of gold in California occurs at Rancho San Francisco, six years before the California Gold Rush.
- March 17, 1842 – The Relief Society of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is formed;
- March 30, 1842 – Anesthesia is used for the first time, in an operation by the American surgeon Dr. Crawford Long.
- May 30, 1842 – John Francis attempts to murder Queen Victoria as she drives down Constitution Hill, London with Prince Albert.
- August 1, 1842 – The Lombard Street Riot erupts in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US.
- August 29, 1842 – Treaty of Nanking signing ends the First Opium War.
Who Were Born On 1842?
- April 29, 1842 – Karl Millöcker, Dutch composer (d. 1899)
- May 12, 1842 – Jules Massenet, French composer (d. 1912)
- June 8, 1842 – John Q. A. Brackett, 36th Governor of Massachusetts (d. 1918)
- September 13, 1842 – John H. Bankhead, U.S. Senator (d. 1920)
- October 26, 1842 – Vasili Vasilyevich Vereshchagin, Russian painter (d. 1904)
- December 3, 1842 – Phoebe Hearst, American socialite (d. 1919)
- December 17, 1842 – Sophus Lie, Norwegian mathematician; (d. 1899)
- December 28, 1842 – Calixa Lavallée, French-Canadian composer (O Canada) (d. 1891)