Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1848 Historical Event(s)
- February 2, 1848 – Mexican-American War: The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo is signed.
- March 4, 1848 – Carlo Alberto di Savoia signs the Statuto Albertino that will later represent the first constitution of the Regno d'Italia
- March 11, 1848 – Louis-Hippolyte Lafontaine and Robert Baldwin become the first Prime Ministers of the Province of Canada to be democratically elected under a system of responsible government.
- May 19, 1848 – Mexican-American War: Mexico ratifies the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo thus ending the war and ceding California, Nevada, Utah and parts of four other modern-day U.S. states to the United States for US$15 million.
- July 11, 1848 – Waterloo railway station in London opens.
- September 20, 1848 – The American Association for the Advancement of Science is created.
- October 28, 1848 – The first railroad in Spain – between Barcelona and Mataró – is opened.
- November 3, 1848 – A greatly revised Dutch constitution, drafted by Johan Rudolf Thorbecke, severely limiting the powers of the Dutch monarchy, and strengthening the powers of parliament and ministers, is proclaimed.
- November 9, 1848 – Robert Blum, a German revolutionary, is executed in Vienna.
- December 5, 1848 – California Gold Rush: In a message before the U.S. Congress, US President James K. Polk confirms that large amounts of gold had been discovered in California.
Who Were Born On 1848?
- January 21, 1848 – Henri Duparc, French composer (d. 1933)
- February 5, 1848 – Belle Starr, American outlaw (d. 1889)
- February 17, 1848 – Louisa Lawson, Australian suffragist and writer (d. 1920)
- February 27, 1848 – Hubert Parry, English composer (d. 1918)
- March 18, 1848 – Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll, daughter of Queen Victoria (d. 1939)
- April 16, 1848 – Kandukuri Veeresalingam, Indian social reformer (d. 1919)
- May 23, 1848 – Otto Lilienthal, German aviation pioneer (d. 1896)
- November 10, 1848 – Sir Surendranath Banerjea, leader, Indian National Congress (d. 1925)