Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1850 Historical Event(s)
- January 29, 1850 – Henry Clay introduces the Compromise of 1850 to the U.S. Congress.
- March 5, 1850 – The Britannia Bridge across the Menai Strait between the Isle of Anglesey and the mainland of Wales is opened.
- March 18, 1850 – American Express is founded by Henry Wells and William Fargo.
- April 4, 1850 – The Great Fire of Cottenham, a large part of the Cambridgeshire village (England) is burnt to the ground under suspicious circumstances.
- May 15, 1850 – The Bloody Island Massacre takes place in Lake County, California, in which a large number of Pomo Indians in Lake County are slaughtered by a regiment of the United States Cavalry, led by Nathaniel Lyon.
- July 9, 1850 – The Persian prophet Báb is executed in Tabriz, Persia.
- July 10, 1850 – Millard Fillmore is inaugurated as the 13th President of the United States upon the death of President Zachary Taylor, 16 months into his term.
- September 9, 1850 – The Compromise of 1850 transfers a third of Texas’s claimed territory (now parts of Colorado, Kansas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Wyoming) to federal control in return for the U.S. federal government assuming $10 million of Texas’s pre-annexation debt.
- September 29, 1850 – The Roman Catholic hierarchy is re-established in England and Wales by Pope Pius IX.
- November 29, 1850 – The treaty, Punctation of Olmütz, is signed in Olomouc. Prussia capitulates to Austrian Empire, which took over the leadership of German Confederation.
Who Were Born On 1850?
- February 8, 1850 – Kate Chopin, American author (d. 1904)
- March 7, 1850 – Tomáš Masaryk, first President of Czechoslovakia (d. 1937)
- May 1, 1850 – Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught and Strathearn, Governor General of Canada (d. 1942)
- May 21, 1850 – Giuseppe Mercalli, Italian vulcanologist (d. 1914)
- June 24, 1850 – Horatio Kitchener, 1st Earl Kitchener of Khartoum, British field marshal (d. 1916)
- July 11, 1850 – Annie Armstrong, American missionary leader (d. 1938)
- July 12, 1850 – Otto Schoetensack, German anthropologist (d. 1912)
- July 18, 1850 – Rose Hartwick Thorpe, American poet (d. 1939)
- September 4, 1850 – Luigi Cadorna, Italian Field Marshal (d. 1928)
- November 12, 1850 – Mikhail Chigorin, Russian chess player (d. 1908)