Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1858 Historical Event(s)
- January 9, 1858 – Anson Jones, the last President of the Republic of Texas, commits suicide.
- January 14, 1858 – Napoleon III of France escapes an assassination attempt.
- June 16, 1858 – Abraham Lincoln delivers his House Divided speech in Springfield, Illinois.
- June 18, 1858 – Charles Darwin receives a paper from Alfred Russel Wallace that includes nearly identical conclusions about evolution as Darwin’s own, prompting Darwin to publish his theory.
- July 1, 1858 – Joint reading of Charles Darwin and Alfred Russel Wallace’s papers on evolution to the Linnean Society.
- July 29, 1858 – United States and Japan sign the Harris Treaty.
- August 11, 1858 – The Eiger in the Bernese Alps is ascended for the first time by Charles Barrington accompanied by Christian Almer and Peter Bohren.
- August 16, 1858 – U.S. President James Buchanan inaugurates the new transatlantic telegraph cable by exchanging greetings with Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom. However, a weak signal forces a shutdown of the service in a few weeks.
- August 23, 1858 – The Round Oak rail accident occurs in Brierley Hill in the Black Country, England. It is 'Arguably the worst disaster ever to occur on British railways'.
Who Were Born On 1858?
- January 4, 1858 – Carter Glass, American politician (d. 1946)
- January 22, 1858 – Beatrice Webb, English economist (d. 1943)
- March 1, 1858 – Georg Simmel, German sociologist and philosopher (d. 1918)
- April 4, 1858 – Remy de Gourmont, French poet (d. 1915)
- June 20, 1858 – Charles W. Chesnutt, American writer (d. 1932)
- August 1, 1858 – Hans Rott, Austrian composer (d. 1884)
- September 16, 1858 – Andrew Bonar Law, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (d. 1923)
- September 18, 1858 – Kate Booth, the oldest daughter of William and Catherine Booth (d. 1955)
- October 4, 1858 – Michael I. Pupin, Serbian-born telephone pioneer (d. 1935)