Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1862 Historical Event(s)
- January 31, 1862 – Alvan Graham Clark discovers the white dwarf star Sirius B, a companion of Sirius, through an 18.5 in telescope now located at Northwestern University.
- February 15, 1862 – American Civil War: General Ulysses S. Grant attacks Fort Donelson, Tennessee.
- February 22, 1862 – Jefferson Davis is officially inaugurated for a six-year term as the President of the Confederate States of America in Richmond, Virginia. He was previously inaugurated as a provisional president on February 18, 1861.
- April 20, 1862 – Louis Pasteur and Claude Bernard complete the first pasteurization tests.
- April 25, 1862 – American Civil War: Forces under Union Admiral David Farragut demand the surrender of the Confederate city of New Orleans, Louisiana.
- June 6, 1862 – American Civil War: Battle of Memphis – Union forces capture Memphis, Tennessee, from the Confederates.
- July 23, 1862 – American Civil War: Henry W. Halleck takes command of the Union Army.
- September 13, 1862 – American Civil War: Union soldiers find a copy of Robert E. Lee’s battle plans in a field outside Frederick, Maryland. It is the prelude to the Battle of Antietam.
- November 14, 1862 – American Civil War: President Abraham Lincoln approves General Ambrose Burnside’s plan to capture the Confederate capital at Richmond, Virginia, leading to the Battle of Fredericksburg.
- December 26, 1862 – Four nuns serving as volunteer nurses on board USS Red Rover are the first female nurses on a U.S. Navy hospital ship.
Who Were Born On 1862?
- February 17, 1862 – Mori Ōgai, Japanese novelist and poet (d. 1922)
- February 18, 1862 – Charles M. Schwab, American steel magnate (d. 1939)
- March 23, 1862 – Nathaniel Reed, American outlaw turned evangelist (d. 1950)
- March 28, 1862 – Aristide Briand, French politician, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (d. 1932)
- May 1, 1862 – Marcel Prévost, French author and dramatist (d. 1941)
- June 10, 1862 – Mrs. Leslie Carter, American actress (d. 1937)
- July 2, 1862 – William Henry Bragg, English physicist, Nobel laureate (d. 1942)
- September 11, 1862 – Viscount Byng of Vimy, British army officer (d. 1935)
- October 3, 1862 – Johnny Briggs, English cricketer (d. 1902)
- December 12, 1862 – Joseph Bruce Ismay, British ocean liner executive and Titanic survivor (d. 1937)