Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1862 Historical Event(s)
- February 15, 1862 – American Civil War: General Ulysses S. Grant attacks Fort Donelson, Tennessee.
- May 15, 1862 – President Abraham Lincoln signs a bill into law creating the United States Bureau of Agriculture. It is later renamed the United States Department of Agriculture.
- June 5, 1862 – As the Treaty of Saigon is signed, ceding parts of southern Vietnam to France, the guerrilla leader Truong Dinh decides to defy Emperor Tu Duc of Vietnam and fight on against the Europeans.
- June 9, 1862 – American Civil War: Stonewall Jackson concludes his successful Shenandoah Valley Campaign with a victory in the Battle of Port Republic; his tactics during the campaign are now studied by militaries around the world.
- June 19, 1862 – The U.S. Congress prohibits slavery in United States territories, nullifying Dred Scott v. Sandford.
- July 1, 1862 – The Russian State Library is founded.
- August 5, 1862 – American Civil War: Battle of Baton Rouge – along the Mississippi River near Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Confederate troops drive Union forces back into the city.
- September 22, 1862 – Slavery in the United States: a preliminary version of the Emancipation Proclamation is released.
- November 9, 1862 – American Civil War: Union General Ambrose Burnside assumes command of the Army of the Potomac, after George B. McClellan is removed.
- December 13, 1862 – American Civil War: At the Battle of Fredericksburg, Confederate General Robert E. Lee defeats the Union Major General Ambrose E. Burnside.
Who Were Born On 1862?
- March 4, 1862 – Jacob Robert Emden, Swiss astrophysicist and meteorologist (d. 1940)
- April 11, 1862 – Charles Evans Hughes, 11th Chief Justice of the United States (d. 1948)
- May 1, 1862 – Marcel Prévost, French author and dramatist (d. 1941)
- July 2, 1862 – William Henry Bragg, English physicist, Nobel laureate (d. 1942)
- August 29, 1862 – Maurice Maeterlinck, Belgian poet Nobel laureate (d. 1949)
- September 21, 1862 – James E. Talmage, American religious figure and author (d. 1933)
- October 4, 1862 – Edward Stratemeyer, American author (d. 1930)
- November 1, 1862 – Johan Wagenaar, Dutch composer and organist (d. 1941)
- December 7, 1862 – Paul Adam, French novelist (d. 1920)
- December 22, 1862 – Connie Mack, American baseball executive (d. 1956)