Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1863 Historical Event(s)
- January 4, 1863 – The New Apostolic Church, a Christian and chiliastic church, is established in Hamburg, Germany.
- January 26, 1863 – American Civil War: General Ambrose Burnside is relieved of command of the Army of the Potomac after the disastrous Fredericksburg campaign. He is replaced by Joseph Hooker.
- June 9, 1863 – American Civil War: Battle of Brandy Station, Virginia.
- June 17, 1863 – Battle of Aldie in the Gettysburg Campaign of the American Civil War.
- July 4, 1863 – American Civil War: Siege of Vicksburg – Vicksburg, Mississippi surrenders to Ulysses S. Grant after 47 days of siege. 150 miles up the Mississippi River, a Confederate Army is repulsed at the Battle of Helena, Arkansas.
- August 16, 1863 – The Dominican Restoration War begins when Gregorio Luperón raises the Dominican flag in Santo Domingo after Spain had recolonized the country.
- August 21, 1863 – Lawrence, Kansas is destroyed by Confederate guerrillas Quantrill’s Raiders in the Lawrence Massacre.
- September 20, 1863 – American Civil War: The Battle of Chickamauga ends.
- November 17, 1863 – American Civil War: Siege of Knoxville begins – Confederate forces led by General James Longstreet place Knoxville, Tennessee under siege.
- December 16, 1863 – American Civil War: Joseph E. Johnston replaces Braxton Bragg as commander of the Army of Tennessee.
Who Were Born On 1863?
- January 1, 1863 – Pierre de Coubertin, French aristocrat and founder of the modern Olympic Games (d. 1937)
- January 14, 1863 – Manuel Gomes da Costa, 96th Prime Minister of Portugal and 10th President of Portugal (d. 1929)
- March 4, 1863 – John Henry Wigmore, American jurist (d. 1943)
- April 28, 1863 – Josiah Thomas, Australian politician (d. 1933)
- May 29, 1863 – Arthur Mold, English cricketer (d. 1921)
- May 31, 1863 – Francis Younghusband, British explorer (d. 1942)
- June 13, 1863 – Lucy, Lady Duff-Gordon, English fashion designer (d. 1935)
- September 29, 1863 – Hugo Haase, German politician and jurist (d. 1919)
- December 5, 1863 – Paul Painlevé, French mathematician and Prime Minister (d. 1933)
- December 7, 1863 – Pietro Mascagni, Italian composer (d. 1945)