Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1863 Historical Event(s)
- January 1, 1863 – American Civil War: The Emancipation Proclamation takes effect in Confederate territory.
- January 8, 1863 – American Civil War: Second Battle of Springfield
- January 22, 1863 – The January Uprising breaks out in Poland, Lithuania and Belarus. The aim of the national movement is to regain Polish-Lithuanian-Ruthenian Commonwealth from occupation by Russia.
- May 1, 1863 – American Civil War: The Battle of Chancellorsville begins.
- May 6, 1863 – American Civil War: The Battle of Chancellorsville ends with the defeat of the Army of the Potomac by Confederate troops.
- May 27, 1863 – American Civil War: First Assault on the Confederate works at the Siege of Port Hudson.
- June 9, 1863 – American Civil War: Battle of Brandy Station, Virginia.
- July 4, 1863 – American Civil War: Siege of Vicksburg – Vicksburg, Mississippi surrenders to Ulysses S. Grant after 47 days of siege. 150 miles up the Mississippi River, a Confederate Army is repulsed at the Battle of Helena, Arkansas.
- October 30, 1863 – Danish Prince Wilhelm arrives in Athens to assume his throne as George I, King of the Hellenes.
- November 24, 1863 – American Civil War: Battle of Lookout Mountain – Near Chattanooga, Tennessee, Union forces under General Ulysses S. Grant capture Lookout Mountain and begin to break the Confederate siege of the city led by General Braxton Bragg.
Who Were Born On 1863?
- March 11, 1863 – Andrew Stoddart, English cricketer (d. 1915)
- March 14, 1863 – Casey Jones, American railroad engineer (d. 1900)
- April 29, 1863 – Maria Theresa Ledochowska, Polish-Austrian Catholic nun (d. 1922)
- May 10, 1863 – Upendrakishore Ray, Indian writer, painter and composer (d. 1915)
- May 21, 1863 – Archduke Eugen of Austria, Austrian field marshal (d. 1954)
- June 23, 1863 – Sándor Bródy, Hungarian writer (d. 1924)
- June 29, 1863 – Wilbert Robinson, American baseball player and hall-of-famer (d. 1934)
- July 1, 1863 – William Grant Stairs, Canadian explorer (d. 1892)
- October 8, 1863 – Edythe Chapman, American actress (d. 1948)