Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1863 Historical Event(s)
- February 24, 1863 – Arizona is organized as a United States territory.
- May 2, 1863 – American Civil War: Stonewall Jackson is wounded by friendly fire while returning to camp after reconnoitering during the Battle of Chancellorsville. He succumbs to pneumonia eight days later.
- May 4, 1863 – American Civil War: The Battle of Chancellorsville ends with a Union retreat.
- July 4, 1863 – American Civil War: Siege of Vicksburg – Vicksburg, Mississippi surrenders to Ulysses S. Grant after 47 days of siege. 150 miles up the Mississippi River, a Confederate Army is repulsed at the Battle of Helena, Arkansas.
- August 16, 1863 – The Dominican Restoration War begins when Gregorio Luperón raises the Dominican flag in Santo Domingo after Spain had recolonized the country.
- September 8, 1863 – American Civil War: Second Battle of Sabine Pass – on the Texas-Louisiana border at the mouth of the Sabine River, a small Confederate force thwarts a Union invasion of Texas.
- September 19, 1863 – American Civil War: Battle of Chickamauga.
- September 20, 1863 – American Civil War: The Battle of Chickamauga ends.
- October 3, 1863 – The last Thursday in November is declared as Thanksgiving Day by President Abraham Lincoln as are Thursdays, November 30, 1865 and November 29, 1866.
- November 24, 1863 – American Civil War: Battle of Lookout Mountain – Near Chattanooga, Tennessee, Union forces under General Ulysses S. Grant capture Lookout Mountain and begin to break the Confederate siege of the city led by General Braxton Bragg.
Who Were Born On 1863?
- February 17, 1863 – Fyodor Sologub, Russian symbolist novelist and poet (d. 1927)
- March 4, 1863 – Reginald Innes Pocock, British zoologist (d. 1947)
- April 17, 1863 – Augustus Edward Hough Love, English mathematician (d. 1940)
- June 13, 1863 – Lucy, Lady Duff-Gordon, English fashion designer (d. 1935)
- August 24, 1863 – Dragutin Lerman, Croatian explorer (d. 1918)
- September 13, 1863 – Arthur Henderson, British politician and union leader, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (d. 1935)
- December 6, 1863 – Charles Martin Hall, American chemist (d. 1914)
- December 7, 1863 – Felix Calonder, Swiss politician (d. 1952)
- December 15, 1863 – Arthur Dehon Little, American chemist and chemical engineer (d. 1935)
- December 18, 1863 – Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria (d. 1914)