Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1863 Historical Event(s)
- January 26, 1863 – American Civil War: Governor of Massachusetts John Albion Andrew receives permission from Secretary of War to raise a militia organization for men of African descent.
- April 30, 1863 – A 65-man French Foreign Legion infantry patrol fought a force of nearly 2,000 Mexican soldiers to nearly the last man in Hacienda Camarón, Mexico.
- June 7, 1863 – During the French intervention in Mexico, Mexico City is captured by French troops.
- June 14, 1863 – Second Assault on the Confederate works at the Siege of Port Hudson during the American Civil War.
- July 4, 1863 – The Army of Northern Virginia withdraws from the battlefield after its loss at the Battle of Gettysburg, signalling an end to the Southern invasion of the North.
- July 13, 1863 – New York Draft Riots: in New York City, opponents of conscription begin three days of rioting which will be later regarded as the worst in United States history.
- July 19, 1863 – American Civil War: Morgan’s Raid – At Buffington Island in Ohio, Confederate General John Hunt Morgan’s raid into the north is mostly thwarted when a large group of his men are captured while trying to escape across the Ohio River.
- July 30, 1863 – Indian Wars: Chief Pocatello of the Shoshone tribe signs the Treaty of Box Elder, agreeing to stop the harassment of emigrant trails in southern Idaho and northern Utah.
- August 15, 1863 – The Anglo-Satsuma War begins between the Satsuma Domain of Japan and the United Kingdom (Traditional Japanese date: July 2, 1863).
- October 3, 1863 – The last Thursday in November is declared as Thanksgiving Day by President Abraham Lincoln as are Thursdays, November 30, 1865 and November 29, 1866.
Who Were Born On 1863?
- March 12, 1863 – Vladimir Vernadsky, Russian mineralogist (d. 1945)
- March 14, 1863 – Casey Jones, American railroad engineer (d. 1900)
- May 21, 1863 – Archduke Eugen of Austria, Austrian field marshal (d. 1954)
- May 24, 1863 – George Grey Barnard, American sculptor (d. 1938)
- June 17, 1863 – Duke Charles Michael of Mecklenburg, Russian-born head of the House of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (d. 1934)
- June 18, 1863 – George Essex Evans, Australian poet (d. 1909)
- June 29, 1863 – Wilbert Robinson, American baseball player and hall-of-famer (d. 1934)
- September 9, 1863 – Herbert Henry Ball, Ontario Politician and King’s Printer (d. 1943)
- November 3, 1863 – Alfred Perot, French physicist (d. 1925)
- November 11, 1863 – Paul Signac, French painter (d. 1935)