Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1863 Historical Event(s)
- January 4, 1863 – The New Apostolic Church, a Christian and chiliastic church, is established in Hamburg, Germany.
- January 8, 1863 – American Civil War: Second Battle of Springfield
- January 26, 1863 – American Civil War: Governor of Massachusetts John Albion Andrew receives permission from Secretary of War to raise a militia organization for men of African descent.
- May 14, 1863 – American Civil War: The Battle of Jackson takes place.
- May 17, 1863 – Rosalía de Castro publishes Cantares Gallegos, the first book in the Galician language.
- June 7, 1863 – During the French intervention in Mexico, Mexico City is captured by French troops.
- June 20, 1863 – American Civil War: West Virginia is admitted as the 35th U.S. state.
- August 15, 1863 – The Anglo-Satsuma War begins between the Satsuma Domain of Japan and the United Kingdom (Traditional Japanese date: July 2, 1863).
- September 16, 1863 – Robert College of Istanbul-Turkey, the first American educational institution outside the United States, is founded by Christopher Robert, an American philanthropist.
- October 29, 1863 – American Civil War: Battle of Wauhatchie – Forces under Union General Ulysses S. Grant repel a Confederate attack led by General James Longstreet. Union forces thus open a supply line into Chattanooga, Tennessee.
Who Were Born On 1863?
- January 15, 1863 – Wilhelm Marx, Chancellor of Germany (d. 1946)
- March 27, 1863 – Sir Henry Royce, English automobile pioneer (d. 1933)
- March 30, 1863 – Mary Calkins, American philosopher and psychologist (d. 1930)
- April 17, 1863 – Augustus Edward Hough Love, English mathematician (d. 1940)
- April 29, 1863 – Maria Theresa Ledochowska, Polish-Austrian Catholic nun (d. 1922)
- May 21, 1863 – Archduke Eugen of Austria, Austrian field marshal (d. 1954)
- July 1, 1863 – William Grant Stairs, Canadian explorer (d. 1892)
- September 13, 1863 – Arthur Henderson, British politician and union leader, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (d. 1935)
- November 14, 1863 – Leo Hendrik Baekeland, Flemish-American chemist and inventor of the first synthetic plastic, Bakelite (d. 1944)
- November 30, 1863 – Andrés Bonifacio, head of the Philippine Revolutionary Movement Katipunan (KKK) (d. 1897)