Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1863 Historical Event(s)
- March 19, 1863 – The SS Georgiana, said to have been the most powerful Confederate cruiser, is destroyed on her maiden voyage with a cargo of munitions, medicines and merchandise then valued at over $1,000,000.
- June 14, 1863 – Second Assault on the Confederate works at the Siege of Port Hudson during the American Civil War.
- July 1, 1863 – American Civil War: the Battle of Gettysburg begins.
- July 3, 1863 – American Civil War: The final day of the Battle of Gettysburg culminates with Pickett’s Charge.
- August 16, 1863 – The Dominican Restoration War begins when Gregorio Luperón raises the Dominican flag in Santo Domingo after Spain had recolonized the country.
- September 16, 1863 – Robert College of Istanbul-Turkey, the first American educational institution outside the United States, is founded by Christopher Robert, an American philanthropist.
- October 30, 1863 – Danish Prince Wilhelm arrives in Athens to assume his throne as George I, King of the Hellenes.
- November 26, 1863 – President Abraham Lincoln proclaims November 26 as a national Thanksgiving Day, to be celebrated annually on the final Thursday of November (since 1941, on the fourth Thursday).
- November 27, 1863 – American Civil War: Battle of Mine Run – Union forces under General George Meade position against troops led by Confederate General Robert E. Lee.
- December 16, 1863 – American Civil War: Joseph E. Johnston replaces Braxton Bragg as commander of the Army of Tennessee.
Who Were Born On 1863?
- January 17, 1863 – David Lloyd George, British Prime Minister (d. 1945)
- March 14, 1863 – Casey Jones, American railroad engineer (d. 1900)
- March 30, 1863 – Mary Calkins, American philosopher and psychologist (d. 1930)
- April 17, 1863 – Augustus Edward Hough Love, English mathematician (d. 1940)
- June 25, 1863 – Emile Francqui, Belgian soldier and diplomat (d. 1935)
- July 12, 1863 – Paul Drude, German physicist (d. 1906)
- July 30, 1863 – Henry Ford, American industrialist (d. 1947)
- October 10, 1863 – Helen Dunbar, American actress (d. 1933)
- November 30, 1863 – Andrés Bonifacio, head of the Philippine Revolutionary Movement Katipunan (KKK) (d. 1897)
- December 7, 1863 – Felix Calonder, Swiss politician (d. 1952)