Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1864 Historical Event(s)
- April 8, 1864 – American Civil War: Battle of Mansfield – Union forces are thwarted by the Confederate army at Mansfield, Louisiana.
- April 10, 1864 – Archduke Maximilian of Habsburg is elected emperor of Mexico.
- April 22, 1864 – The U.S. Congress passes the Coinage Act of 1864 that mandates that the inscription In God We Trust be placed on all coins minted as United States currency.
- May 5, 1864 – American Civil War: The Battle of the Wilderness begins in Spotsylvania County, Virginia.
- May 9, 1864 – Second War of Schleswig: The Danish navy defeats the Austrian and Prussian fleets in the Battle of Heligoland.
- July 8, 1864 – Ikedaya Jiken: the Choshu Han shishi’s planned Shinsengumi sabotage on Kyoto, Japan at Ikedaya.
- August 18, 1864 – American Civil War: Battle of Globe Tavern – Union forces try to cut a vital Confederate supply-line into Petersburg, Virginia, by attacking the Wilmington and Weldon Railroad.
- September 1, 1864 – American Civil War: Confederate General John Bell Hood evacuates Atlanta, Georgia after a four-month siege by General Sherman.
- October 28, 1864 – American Civil War: The Battle of Fair Oaks & Darbytown Road (also known as the Second Battle of Fair Oaks) ends – Union forces under General Ulysses S. Grant withdraw from Fair Oaks, Virginia, after failing to breach the Confederate defenses around Richmond, Virginia.
- November 13, 1864 – The new Constitution of Greece is adopted.
Who Were Born On 1864?
- January 11, 1864 – Thomas Dixon, American playwright and legislator (d. 1946)
- March 17, 1864 – Joseph Baptista, Indian Home Rule Movement founder (d. 1930)
- June 3, 1864 – Ransom E. Olds, American pioneer (d. 1950)
- June 13, 1864 – Dwight B. Waldo, American educator and historian (d. 1939)
- June 14, 1864 – Alois Alzheimer, German physician (d. 1915)
- July 15, 1864 – Marie Tempest, English singer and actress (d. 1942)
- July 20, 1864 – Erik Axel Karlfeldt, Swedish writer, Nobel Prize in Literature laureate (d. 1931)
- October 17, 1864 – Elinor Glyn, British writer (d. 1943)
- November 28, 1864 – Lindley M. Garrison, American Secretary of War (d. 1932)
- December 8, 1864 – Camille Claudel, French graphic artist and sculptor (d. 1943)