Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1864 Historical Event(s)
- March 10, 1864 – American Civil War: The Red River Campaign begins as Union troops reach Alexandria, Louisiana.
- April 12, 1864 – American Civil War: The Fort Pillow massacre: Confederate forces kill most of the African American soldiers that surrendered at Fort Pillow, Tennessee.
- April 18, 1864 – Battle of Dybbøl: A Prussian-Austrian army defeats Denmark and gains control of Schleswig. Denmark surrenders the province in the following peace settlement.
- May 29, 1864 – Emperor Maximilian I of Mexico arrives in Mexico for the first time.
- June 3, 1864 – American Civil War: Battle of Cold Harbor – Union forces attack Confederate troops in Hanover County, Virginia.
- June 15, 1864 – American Civil War: The Second Battle of Petersburg begins.
- September 1, 1864 – American Civil War: Confederate General John Bell Hood evacuates Atlanta, Georgia after a four-month siege by General Sherman.
- November 11, 1864 – American Civil War: Sherman’s March to the Sea – Union General William Tecumseh Sherman begins burning Atlanta, Georgia to the ground in preparation for his march south.
- November 25, 1864 – American Civil War: A group of Confederate operatives calling themselves the Confederate Army of Manhattan starts fires in more than 20 locations in an unsuccessful attempt to burn down New York City.
- November 30, 1864 – American Civil War: Battle of Franklin – The Army of Tennessee led by General John Bell Hood mounts a dramatically unsuccessful frontal assault on Union positions commanded by John McAllister Schofield around Franklin, Tennessee, with Hood losing six generals and almost a third of his troops.
Who Were Born On 1864?
- January 11, 1864 – Thomas Dixon, American playwright and legislator (d. 1946)
- January 28, 1864 – Herbert Akroyd Stuart, English inventor (d. 1927)
- March 12, 1864 – Alice Tegnér, Swedish composer and organist (d. 1943)
- March 13, 1864 – Alexej von Jawlensky, Russian painter (d. 1941)
- April 30, 1864 – Juhan Liiv, Estonian poet (d. 1913)
- July 24, 1864 – Frank Wedekind, German writer (d. 1918)
- September 14, 1864 – Robert Cecil, 1st Viscount Cecil of Chelwood, British diplomat, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize (d. 1958)
- November 1, 1864 – Grand Duchess Elizabeth Fyodorovna (d. 1918)
- December 3, 1864 – Herman Heijermans, Dutch writer (d. 1924)
- December 23, 1864 – Zorka of Montenegro, Princess of Serbia (d. 1890)