Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1865 Historical Event(s)
- February 18, 1865 – Union forces under Major General William T. Sherman set the South Carolina State House on fire during the burning of Columbia.
- March 3, 1865 – Opening of the Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation, the founding member of the HSBC Group.
- April 2, 1865 – American Civil War: Confederate President Jefferson Davis and most of his Cabinet flee the Confederate capital of Richmond, Virginia.
- April 4, 1865 – American Civil War: A day after Union forces capture Richmond, Virginia, U.S. President Abraham Lincoln visits the Confederate capital.
- April 10, 1865 – American Civil War: A day after his surrender to Union forces, Confederate General Robert E. Lee addresses his troops for the last time.
- April 27, 1865 – The steamboat Sultana, carrying 2,400 passengers, explodes and sinks in the Mississippi River, killing 1,700, most of whom are Union survivors of the Andersonville and Cahaba Prisons.
- May 13, 1865 – American Civil War: Battle of Palmito Ranch – in far south Texas, more than a month after Confederate General Robert E. Lee’s surrender, the last land battle of the Civil War ends with a Confederate victory.
- June 28, 1865 – The Army of the Potomac is disbanded.
- July 30, 1865 – The steamboat Brother Jonathan sinks off the coast of Crescent City, California, killing 225 passengers, the deadliest shipwreck on the Pacific Coast of the U.S. at the time.
- November 11, 1865 – Treaty of Sinchula is signed by which Bhutan cedes the areas east of the Teesta River to the British East India Company.
Who Were Born On 1865?
- February 19, 1865 – Sven Hedin, Swedish explorer (d. 1952)
- April 1, 1865 – Richard Adolf Zsigmondy, Austrian-born chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1929)
- April 16, 1865 – Henry George Chauvel, Australian general (d. 1945)
- May 2, 1865 – Clyde Fitch, American playwright (d. 1909)
- June 27, 1865 – Sir John Monash, Australian military commander (d. 1931)
- July 14, 1865 – Arthur Capper, American newspaper publisher and politician (d. 1951)
- August 10, 1865 – Alexander Glazunov, Russian composer (d. 1936)
- August 14, 1865 – Guido Castelnuovo, Italian mathematician (d. 1952)
- August 15, 1865 – Usui Mikao, Japanese spiritual figure (d. 1926)
- August 26, 1865 – Arthur James Arnot, Scottish inventor (d. 1946)