Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1893 Historical Event(s)
- January 6, 1893 – The Washington National Cathedral is chartered by Congress. The charter is signed by President Benjamin Harrison.
- January 13, 1893 – U.S. Marines land in Honolulu from the USS Boston to prevent the queen from abrogating the Bayonet Constitution.
- February 28, 1893 – The USS Indiana, the lead ship of her class and the first battleship in the United States Navy comparable to foreign battleships of the time, is launched.
- March 1, 1893 – Nikola Tesla gives the first public demonstration of radio in St. Louis, Missouri.
- August 14, 1893 – France becomes the first country to introduce motor vehicle registration.
- September 16, 1893 – Settlers make a land run for prime land in the Cherokee Strip in Oklahoma.
- October 28, 1893 – Tchaikovsky’s Symphony No. 6 in B Minor, Pathétique, receives its première performance in St. Petersburg, only nine days before the composer’s death.
- November 28, 1893 – Women vote in a national election for the first time: the New Zealand general election.
- November 29, 1893 – The Ziqiang Institute, today known as Wuhan University, is founded by Zhang Zhidong, governor of Hubei and Hunan Provinces in late Qing Dynasty of China after his memorial to the throne is approved by the Qing Government.
- December 23, 1893 – The opera Hänsel und Gretel by Engelbert Humperdinck is first performed.
Who Were Born On 1893?
- January 5, 1893 – Paramahansa Yogananda, Indian guru (d. 1952)
- January 15, 1893 – Ivor Novello, Welsh composer and actor (d. 1951)
- January 27, 1893 – Soong Ching-ling, Chinese wife of Sun Yat-sen (d. 1981)
- February 10, 1893 – Jimmy Durante, American actor and comedian (d. 1980)
- March 18, 1893 – Wilfred Owen, British poet (d. 1918)
- June 30, 1893 – Walter Ulbricht, German Communist leader (d. 1973)
- September 11, 1893 – Douglas Hawkes, British racing driver (d. 1974)
- September 13, 1893 – Larry Shields, American musician (d. 1953)
- September 20, 1893 – Hermann Lux, German footballer (d. 1962)