Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters LPEURNKXPOII? Check your answers here: Word search LPEURNKXPOII. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
1896 Historical Event(s)
- January 28, 1896 – Walter Arnold of East Peckham, Kent became the first person to be convicted of speeding. He is fined 1 shilling, plus costs, for speeding at 8 mph, thus exceeding the contemporary speed limit of 2 mph.
- March 1, 1896 – Battle of Adowa: an Ethiopian army defeats an outnumbered Italian force, ending the First Italo–Ethiopian War.
- March 9, 1896 – Prime Minister Francesco Crispi resigns following the Italian defeat at the Battle of Adowa.
- May 18, 1896 – The United States Supreme Court rules in Plessy v. Ferguson that the “separate but equal” doctrine is constitutional.
- May 20, 1896 – The six ton chandelier of the Palais Garnier falls on the crowd below resulting in the death of one and the injury of many others.
- May 26, 1896 – Charles Dow publishes the first edition of the Dow Jones Industrial Average.
- June 4, 1896 – Henry Ford completes the Ford Quadricycle, his first gasoline-powered automobile, and gives it a successful test run.
- July 28, 1896 – The city of Miami, Florida is incorporated.
- August 23, 1896 – Officially recognised date of the Cry of Pugad Lawin, the start of the Philippine Revolution is made in Pugad Lawin (Quezon City), in the province of Manila (actual date and location is disputed).
Who Were Born On 1896?
- February 4, 1896 – Friedrich Hund, German physicist (d. 1997)
- April 26, 1896 – Ernst Udet, WWI pilot and film actor, Luftwaffe officer (d. 1941)
- July 27, 1896 – Henri Longchambon, French politician (d. 1969)
- August 19, 1896 – Olga Baclanova, Russian-born actress (d. 1974)
- August 26, 1896 – Ivan Mihailov, Bulgarian revolutionary (d. 1990)
- September 22, 1896 – Uri Zvi Grinberg, Israeli poet and journalist (d. 1981)
- October 27, 1896 – Edith Brown, survivor of the Titanic (d. 1997)
- November 7, 1896 – Esdras Minville, Quebec writer, economist and sociologist (d. 1975)
- November 23, 1896 – Venere Pizzinato, Italian supercentenarian (d. 2011)
- November 28, 1896 – Dawn Powell, American writer (d. 1965)