What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Faye’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
1897 Historical Event(s)
- January 23, 1897 – Elva Zona Heaster is found dead in Greenbrier County, West Virginia. The resulting murder trial of her husband is perhaps the only case in United States history where the alleged testimony of a ghost helped secure a conviction.
- February 1, 1897 – Shinhan Bank, the oldest bank in South Korea, opens in Seoul.
- March 13, 1897 – San Diego State University is founded.
- May 19, 1897 – Oscar Wilde is released from Reading Gaol Prison.
- July 2, 1897 – Italian scientist Guglielmo Marconi obtains a patent for radio in London.
- July 26, 1897 – Anglo-Afghan wars: The Pashtun fakir Saidullah leads an army of more than 10,000 to begin a siege of the British garrison in the Malakand Agency of the North West Frontier Province of India.
- September 21, 1897 – The “Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus” editorial is published in the New York Sun.
- November 1, 1897 – The first Library of Congress building opened its doors to the public. The Library had been housed in the Congressional Reading Room in the U.S. Capitol.
- December 9, 1897 – Activist Marguerite Durand founds the feminist daily newspaper, La Fronde, in Paris.
- December 12, 1897 – Belo Horizonte, the first planned city in Brazil, is founded.
Who Were Born On 1897?
- January 23, 1897 – Sir William Samuel Stephenson, Canadian soldier, W.W.II codename, Intrepid. Inspiration for James Bond. (d. 1989)
- February 10, 1897 – John Franklin Enders, American scientist, Nobel Prize Laureate (d. 1985)
- March 28, 1897 – Tillie Voss, American football player (d. 1975)
- May 27, 1897 – John Cockcroft, British physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1967)
- June 11, 1897 – Ram Prasad Bismil, Indian Revolutionary, Founder of Hindustan Republican Association (d. 1927)
- June 16, 1897 – Georg Wittig, German chemist, Nobel laureate (d. 1987)
- September 29, 1897 – Herbert Agar, American journalist and historian (d. 1980)
- November 9, 1897 – Ronald George Wreyford Norrish, British chemist, Nobel laureate (d. 1978)
- November 21, 1897 – Mollie Steimer Russian-born American anarchist (d. 1980)
- December 11, 1897 – Ronald Skirth, conscientious objector of the First World War (d. 1977)