What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Jose’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
1897 Historical Event(s)
- January 23, 1897 – Elva Zona Heaster is found dead in Greenbrier County, West Virginia. The resulting murder trial of her husband is perhaps the only case in United States history where the alleged testimony of a ghost helped secure a conviction.
- February 28, 1897 – Queen Ranavalona III, the last monarch of Madagascar, is deposed by a French military force.
- May 26, 1897 – Dracula, a novel by Irish author Bram Stoker is published.
- July 26, 1897 – Anglo-Afghan wars: The Pashtun fakir Saidullah leads an army of more than 10,000 to begin a siege of the British garrison in the Malakand Agency of the North West Frontier Province of India.
- August 2, 1897 – Anglo-Afghan wars: The Siege of Malakand ends when a relief column is able to reach the British garrison in the Malakand region of colonial India’s North West Frontier Province.
- August 31, 1897 – Thomas Edison patents the Kinetoscope, the first movie projector.
- September 1, 1897 – The Boston subway opens, becoming the first underground rapid transit system in North America.
- September 10, 1897 – Lattimer massacre: A sheriff’s posse kills 20 unarmed immigrant miners in Pennsylvania, United States.
- September 11, 1897 – After months of pursuit, generals of Menelik II of Ethiopia capture Gaki Sherocho, the last king of Kaffa, bringing an end to that ancient kingdom.
- November 1, 1897 – The first Library of Congress building opened its doors to the public. The Library had been housed in the Congressional Reading Room in the U.S. Capitol.
Who Were Born On 1897?
- January 15, 1897 – Xu Zhimo, Chinese poet (d. 1931)
- February 1, 1897 – Denise Robins, (aka Francesca Wright, Ashley French, Harriet Gray, Julia Kane) British romance novelist (d. 1985)
- April 7, 1897 – Erich Loewenhardt, German flying ace of World War I (d. 1918)
- April 18, 1897 – Ardito Desio, Italian topographer (d. 2001)
- May 2, 1897 – J. Fred Coots, American songwriter (d. 1985)
- June 13, 1897 – Paavo Nurmi, Finnish runner (d. 1973)
- July 26, 1897 – Paul Gallico, American novelist (d. 1976)
- November 17, 1897 – Frank Fay, American actor (d. 1961)
- November 21, 1897 – Mollie Steimer Russian-born American anarchist (d. 1980)
- December 11, 1897 – Ronald Skirth, conscientious objector of the First World War (d. 1977)