Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1900 Historical Event(s)
- January 31, 1900 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Rat in Chinese astrology.
- April 30, 1900 – Casey Jones dies in a train wreck in Vaughn, Mississippi, while trying to make up time on the Cannonball Express.
- May 23, 1900 – American Civil War: Sergeant William Harvey Carney becomes the first African American to be awarded the Medal of Honor, for his heroism in the Assault on the Battery Wagner in 1863.
- June 20, 1900 – Boxer Rebellion: The Imperial Chinese Army begins a 55-day siege of the Legation Quarter in Beijing, China.
- June 21, 1900 – Boxer Rebellion. China formally declared war on the United States, Britain, Germany, France and Japan, as an edict issued from the Dowager Empress Cixi.
- August 3, 1900 – The Firestone Tire & Rubber Company is founded.
- September 8, 1900 – Galveston Hurricane of 1900: a powerful hurricane hits Galveston, Texas killing about 8,000 people.
- November 7, 1900 – Battle of Leliefontein, a battle during which the Royal Canadian Dragoons win three Victoria Crosses.
- December 19, 1900 – Hopetoun Blunder: The first Governor-General of Australia John Hope, 7th Earl of Hopetoun, appointed Sir William Lyne as premier of the new state New South Wales, but he is unable to persuade other colonial politicians to join his government and is forced to resign.
Who Were Born On 1900?
- January 25, 1900 – István Fekete, Hungarian writer (d. 1970)
- February 8, 1900 – Ivan Ivanov-Vano Soviet animator and Russian animation director (d. 1987)
- February 21, 1900 – Madeleine Renaud, French theater actress (d. 1994)
- March 13, 1900 – Giorgos Seferis, Greek poet, Nobel laureate (d. 1971)
- March 29, 1900 – John McEwen, eighteenth Prime Minister of Australia (d. 1980)
- June 7, 1900 – Glen Gray, American jazz musician and leader of the Casa Loma Orchestra (d. 1963)
- July 29, 1900 – Eyvind Johnson, Swedish writer, Nobel Prize Laureate (d. 1976)
- October 16, 1900 – Edward Ardizzone, Vietnamese-born British writer and illustrator (d. 1979)
- December 6, 1900 – Agnes Moorehead, American actress (d. 1974)
- December 22, 1900 – Marc Allégret, French film director and screenwriter (d. 1973)