Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1909 Historical Event(s)
- January 16, 1909 – Ernest Shackleton’s expedition finds the magnetic South Pole.
- January 22, 1909 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Rooster in Chinese astrology.
- April 9, 1909 – The U.S. Congress passes the Payne-Aldrich Tariff Act.
- April 27, 1909 – Sultan of Ottoman Empire Abdul Hamid II is overthrown, and is succeeded by his brother, Mehmed V.
- September 20, 1909 – The Parliament of the United Kingdom passes the South Africa Act 1909, creating the Union of South Africa from the British Colonies of the Cape of Good Hope, Natal, Orange River Colony, and the Transvaal Colony.
- September 23, 1909 – The Phantom of the Opera (original title: Le Fantôme de l'Opéra), a novel by French writer Gaston Leroux, is first published as a serialization in Le Gaulois.
- November 2, 1909 – Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity is founded at Boston University.
- November 18, 1909 – Two United States warships are sent to Nicaragua after 500 revolutionaries (including two Americans) are executed by order of José Santos Zelaya.
- December 4, 1909 – The Montreal Canadiens ice hockey club, the oldest professional hockey franchise in the world, is founded as a charter member of the National Hockey Association.
- December 14, 1909 – New South Wales Premier Charles Wade signed the Seat of Government Surrender Act 1909, formally completing the transfer of State land to the Commonwealth to create the Australian Capital Territory.
Who Were Born On 1909?
- February 2, 1909 – Frank Albertson, American actor (d. 1964)
- February 21, 1909 – Hans Erni, Swiss painter
- March 27, 1909 – Golo Mann, German historian (d. 1994)
- May 11, 1909 – Ellis R. Dungan, American born Indian film director (d. 2001)
- May 18, 1909 – Fred Perry, British former tennis player (d. 1995)
- August 22, 1909 – Mel Hein, American football player (d. 1992)
- September 4, 1909 – Eduard Wirths, Nazi physician (d. 1945)
- November 4, 1909 – Evelyn Johnson, American aviator
- November 18, 1909 – Johnny Mercer, American lyricist (d. 1976)
- November 26, 1909 – Frances Dee, American actress (d. 2004)