Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1912 Historical Event(s)
- February 18, 1912 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Rat in Chinese astrology.
- February 25, 1912 – Marie-Adélaïde, the eldest of six daughters of Guillaume IV, becomes the first reigning Grand Duchess of Luxembourg.
- March 1, 1912 – Albert Berry makes the first parachute jump from a moving airplane.
- March 12, 1912 – The Girl Guides (later renamed the Girl Scouts of the USA) are founded in the United States.
- March 30, 1912 – Sultan Abdelhafid signs the Treaty of Fez, making Morocco a French protectorate.
- April 15, 1912 – The British passenger liner, the RMS Titanic, sinks in the North Atlantic at 2:20 a.m., two and a half hours after hitting an iceberg. 1,517 people are killed.
- July 8, 1912 – Henrique Mitchell de Paiva Couceiro leads an unsuccessful royalist attack against the Portuguese First Republic in Chaves.
- September 4, 1912 – Albanian rebels succeed in their revolt when the Ottoman Empire agrees to fulfill their demands
- October 23, 1912 – First Balkan War: The Battle of Kumanovo between the Serbian and Ottoman armies begins.
- November 7, 1912 – The Deutsche Opernhaus (now Deutsche Oper Berlin) opens in the Berlin neighborhood of Charlottenburg, with a production of Beethoven’s Fidelio.
Who Were Born On 1912?
- January 1, 1912 – Kim Philby, British spy (d. 1988)
- March 4, 1912 – Rodolfo Galeotti Torres, Guatemalan sculptor (d. 1988)
- March 23, 1912 – Wernher von Braun, German-born physicist and engineer (d. 1977)
- June 12, 1912 – Carl Iver Hovland, American psychologist (d. 1961)
- July 19, 1912 – Norman Carr, British conservationist (d. 1997)
- July 23, 1912 – M. H. Abrams, American literary critic and writer
- July 24, 1912 – Essie Summers, New Zealand writer (d. 1998)
- July 27, 1912 – Vernon Elliott, British bassoonist, conductor and composer (d. 1996)
- September 7, 1912 – David Packard, American electrical engineer and businessman (d. 1996)
- December 9, 1912 – Tip O'Neill, American politician & 55th Speaker of the United States House of Representatives (d. 1994)