Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1917 Historical Event(s)
- January 11, 1917 – The Kingsland munitions factory explosion occurs as a result of sabotage.
- January 23, 1917 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Snake in Chinese astrology.
- February 5, 1917 – The Congress of the United States passes the Immigration Act of 1917 over President Woodrow Wilson’s veto. Also known as the Asiatic Barred Zone Act, it forbade immigration from nearly all of south and southeast Asia.
- March 4, 1917 – Jeannette Rankin of Montana becomes the first female member of the United States House of Representatives.
- April 6, 1917 – World War I: The United States declares war on Germany (see President Woodrow Wilson’s address to Congress).
- June 4, 1917 – The first Pulitzer Prizes are awarded: Laura E. Richards, Maude H. Elliott, and Florence Hall receive the first Pulitzer for biography (for Julia Ward Howe). Jean Jules Jusserand receives the first Pulitzer for history for his work With Americans of Past and Present Days. Herbert B. Swope receives the first Pulitzer for journalism for his work for the New York World.
- October 20, 1917 – The Military Revolutionary Committee of the Petrograd Soviet, in charge of preparation and carrying out the Russian Revolution, holds its first meeting.
- October 24, 1917 – Battle of Caporetto; Italy suffers a catastrophic defeat by the forces of Austria-Hungary and Germany on the Austro-Italian front of World War I (lasts until 19 November - also called Twelfth Battle of the Isonzo).
- November 8, 1917 – The People’s Commissars give authority to Vladimir Lenin, Leon Trotsky, and Joseph Stalin.
- November 20, 1917 – World War I: Battle of Cambrai begins – British forces make early progress in an attack on German positions but are later pushed back.
Who Were Born On 1917?
- January 30, 1917 – Paul Frère, Belgian racing driver and motorsport journalist (d. 2008)
- February 17, 1917 – Guillermo González Camarena, Mexican inventor (d. 1965)
- March 12, 1917 – Millard Kaufman, American screenwriter (d. 2009)
- April 11, 1917 – Danny Gallivan, Canadian radio and television sportscaster (d. 1993)
- May 1, 1917 – John Beradino, American actor and baseball player (d. 1996)
- May 12, 1917 – Frank Clair, American-born Canadian football coach (d. 2005)
- August 29, 1917 – Isabel Sanford, American actress (d. 2004)
- August 30, 1917 – Denis Healey, British politician, Chancellor of the Exchequer
- September 13, 1917 – Robert Ward, American composer
- October 19, 1917 – Walter Munk, Austrian-born American oceanographer