Did you know? It takes as little as 8 hours of one-on-one tutoring to improve a full letter grade, according to a nationwide poll of private tutors. Click here to search for a tutor today! More than 80,000 tutors in 300+ subjects. (Sponsored link; US only)
1922 Historical Event(s)
- January 28, 1922 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Dog in Chinese astrology.
- February 6, 1922 – The Washington Naval Treaty is signed in Washington, D.C., limiting the naval armaments of United States, Britain, Japan, France, and Italy.
- March 20, 1922 – The USS Langley is commissioned as the first United States Navy aircraft carrier.
- April 21, 1922 – The first Aggie Muster is held as a remembrance for fellow Texas A&M graduates who had died in the previous year.
- April 24, 1922 – The first segment of the Imperial Wireless Chain providing wireless telegraphy between Leafield in Oxfordshire, England, and Cairo, Egypt, comes into operation.
- June 16, 1922 – General election in the Irish Free State: the pro-Treaty Sinn Féin win a large majority.
- August 2, 1922 – A typhoon hits Shantou, Republic of China killing more than 50,000 people.
- November 17, 1922 – The first executions during the Irish Civil War take place when five Irish Republican Army members are sent to the firing squad by the Irish Free State.
- November 24, 1922 – Author and Irish Republican Army member Robert Erskine Childers is executed by an Irish Free State firing squad for illegally carrying a revolver.
- November 26, 1922 – Toll of the Sea debuts as the first general release film to use two-tone Technicolor (The Gulf Between is the first film to do so but it is not widely distributed).
Who Were Born On 1922?
- January 13, 1922 – Albert Lamorisse, French film director and producer (d. 1970)
- May 11, 1922 – Ameurfina Melencio-Herrera, Filipino Supreme Court jurist
- July 7, 1922 – Alan Armer, American television producer, and director (d. 2010)
- September 9, 1922 – Warwick Kerr, Brazilian geneticist
- October 28, 1922 – Butch van Breda Kolff, American basketball coach (d. 2007)
- November 3, 1922 – Dennis McDermott, Canadian trade unionist (d. 2003)
- November 16, 1922 – Gene Amdahl, American computer scientist
- November 25, 1922 – Gloria Lasso, French-born Spanish singer (d. 2005)
- December 1, 1922 – Paul Picerni, American actor (d. 2011)
- December 11, 1922 – Grace Paley, American writer (d. 2007)