Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1928 Historical Event(s)
- January 23, 1928 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Dragon in Chinese astrology.
- February 25, 1928 – Charles Jenkins Laboratories of Washington, D.C. becomes the first holder of a television license from the Federal Radio Commission.
- July 27, 1928 – Tich Freeman becomes the only bowler ever to take 200 first-class wickets before the end of July.
- September 18, 1928 – Juan de la Cierva makes the first autogyro crossing of the English Channel.
- October 2, 1928 – The “Prelature of the Holy Cross and the Work of God”, commonly known as Opus Dei, is founded by Saint Josemaría Escrivá.
- October 10, 1928 – Chiang Kai-Shek becomes Chairman of the Republic of China.
- October 12, 1928 – An iron lung respirator is used for the first time at Children’s Hospital, Boston
- October 15, 1928 – The airship, Graf Zeppelin completes its first trans-Atlantic flight, landing at Lakehurst, New Jersey, United States.
- November 12, 1928 – SS Vestris sinks approximately 200 mi off Hampton Roads, Virginia, killing at least 110 passengers, mostly women and children who die after the vessel is abandoned.
- December 6, 1928 – The government of Colombia sends military forces to suppress a month-long strike by United Fruit Company workers, resulting in an unknown number of deaths.
Who Were Born On 1928?
- May 19, 1928 – Gil McDougald, American baseball player (d. 2010)
- May 23, 1928 – Jeannie Carson, English actress and comedian
- June 7, 1928 – James Ivory, American film director
- June 20, 1928 – Jean-Marie Le Pen, French politician
- July 30, 1928 – Joe Nuxhall, American baseball player and sportscaster (d. 2007)
- August 27, 1928 – Mangosuthu Buthelezi, South African politician
- September 11, 1928 – Reubin O'Donovan Askew, American politician
- September 30, 1928 – Elie Wiesel, Romanian Holocaust survivor; Nobel laureate
- October 4, 1928 – Torben Ulrich, Danish musician and filmmaker
- November 30, 1928 – Joe B. Hall, American basketball coach