Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1933 Historical Event(s)
- January 26, 1933 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Rooster in Chinese astrology.
- March 9, 1933 – Great Depression: President Franklin D. Roosevelt submits the Emergency Banking Act to Congress, the first of his New Deal policies.
- April 5, 1933 – U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs two executive orders: 6101 to establish the Civilian Conservation Corps, and 6102 “forbidding the Hoarding of Gold Coin, Gold Bullion, and Gold Certificates” by U.S. citizens.
- May 18, 1933 – New Deal: President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs an act creating the Tennessee Valley Authority.
- May 27, 1933 – New Deal: The U.S. Federal Securities Act is signed into law requiring the registration of securities with the Federal Trade Commission.
- June 5, 1933 – The U.S. Congress abrogates the United States’ use of the gold standard by enacting a joint resolution (48 Stat. 112) nullifying the right of creditors to demand payment in gold.
- June 16, 1933 – The National Industrial Recovery Act is passed.
- August 7, 1933 – The Simele massacre: The Iraqi Government slaughters over 3,000 Assyrians in the village of Sumail. The day becomes known as Assyrian Martyrs Day.
- August 25, 1933 – The Diexi earthquake strikes Mao County, Sichuan, China and kills 9,000 people.
- September 3, 1933 – Yevgeniy Abalakov is the first man to reach the highest point in the Soviet Union, Communism Peak (now called Ismoil Somoni Peak and situated in Tajikistan) (7495 m).
Who Were Born On 1933?
- January 1, 1933 – Norman Yemm, Australian actor
- March 6, 1933 – Ted Abernathy, American baseball player (d. 2004)
- April 14, 1933 – Boris Strugatsky, Russian author
- April 26, 1933 – Arno Allan Penzias, German-born physicist, Nobel laureate
- July 23, 1933 – Benedict Groeschel, American Roman Catholic priest
- August 10, 1933 – Rocky Colavito, American baseball player
- August 18, 1933 – Just Fontaine, French footballer
- September 3, 1933 – Tompall Glaser, American singer
- September 8, 1933 – Paul M. Fleiss, American pediatrician; father of Heidi Fleiss
- October 26, 1933 – Takis Kanellopoulos, Greek film director and screenwriter (d. 1990)