Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1936 Historical Event(s)
- January 20, 1936 – Edward VIII becomes King of the United Kingdom.
- January 24, 1936 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Rat in Chinese astrology.
- February 29, 1936 – Baby Snooks, played by Fanny Brice, debuts on the radio program The Ziegfeld Follies of the Air.
- March 1, 1936 – The Hoover Dam is completed.
- March 8, 1936 – Daytona Beach Road Course holds its first oval stock car race.
- April 3, 1936 – Bruno Richard Hauptmann is executed for the kidnapping and death of Charles Augustus Lindbergh, Jr., the baby son of pilot Charles Lindbergh.
- August 14, 1936 – Rainey Bethea is hanged in Owensboro, Kentucky in the last public execution in the United States.
- September 7, 1936 – The last surviving member of the thylacine species, Benjamin, dies alone in her cage at the Hobart Zoo in Tasmania.
- October 9, 1936 – Generators at Boulder Dam (later renamed to Hoover Dam) begin to generate electricity from the Colorado River and transmit it 266 miles to Los Angeles, California.
- December 11, 1936 – Abdication Crisis: Edward VIII’s abdication as King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the British Dominions beyond the Seas, and Emperor of India becomes effective.
Who Were Born On 1936?
- February 18, 1936 – Jean Auel, American writer
- March 16, 1936 – Raymond Vahan Damadian, Armenian American practitioner of MRI
- March 31, 1936 – Marge Piercy, American writer
- April 5, 1936 – John Kelly, Irish republican politician (d. 2007)
- June 1, 1936 – Gerald Scarfe, British illustrator
- June 25, 1936 – Bacharuddin Jusuf Habibie, Indonesian politician, President (1998-1999)
- June 30, 1936 – Dave Van Ronk, American folk singer-songwriter (d. 2002)
- September 3, 1936 – Pilar Pallete, Peruvian actress and third wife of American movie star John Wayne
- October 24, 1936 – Jimmy Dawkins, American Chicago blues and electric blues guitarist and singer
- November 11, 1936 – Susan Kohner, American actress