Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1937 Historical Event(s)
- January 25, 1937 – The Guiding Light debuts on NBC radio from Chicago. In 1952 it moves to CBS television, where it remains until Sept. 18, 2009.
- February 11, 1937 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Ox in Chinese astrology.
- March 2, 1937 – The Steel Workers Organizing Committee signs a collective bargaining agreement with U.S. Steel, leading to unionization of the United States steel industry.
- April 9, 1937 – The Kamikaze arrives at Croydon Airport in London – it is the first Japanese-built aircraft to fly to Europe.
- May 3, 1937 – Gone with the Wind, a novel by Margaret Mitchell, wins the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.
- June 14, 1937 – Pennsylvania becomes the first (and only) state of the United States to celebrate Flag Day officially as a state holiday.
- August 14, 1937 – Chinese Air Force Day: The beginning of air-to-air combat of the Second Sino-Japanese War and World War II in general, when 6 Imperial Japanese Mitsubishi G3M bombers are shot down by the Nationalist Chinese Air Force while raiding Chinese air bases.
- September 21, 1937 – J. R. R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit is published.
- November 5, 1937 – Adolf Hitler holds a secret meeting and states his plans for acquiring “living space” for the German people.
- December 13, 1937 – Nanjing Massacre. Japanese troops begin carrying out several weeks of raping and killing of civilians and suspected Chinese resistance after the fall of Nanjing.
Who Were Born On 1937?
- January 19, 1937 – Giovanna Marini, Italian singer-songwriter
- February 27, 1937 – Barbara Babcock, American actress
- May 3, 1937 – Nélida Piñon, Brazilian writer
- May 15, 1937 – Madeleine Albright, American Secretary of State
- July 4, 1937 – Thomas Nagel, American philosopher
- September 1, 1937 – Ron O'Neal, American actor, film director and screenwriter (d. 2004)
- September 20, 1937 – Birgitta Dahl, Swedish politician
- October 15, 1937 – Linda Lavin, American actress
- November 20, 1937 – Eero Mäntyranta, Finnish cross-country skier
- December 29, 1937 – Wayne Huizenga, American football team owner