Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1937 Historical Event(s)
- January 1, 1937 – Safety glass in vehicle windscreens becomes mandatory in the United Kingdom.
- January 19, 1937 – Howard Hughes sets a new air record by flying from Los Angeles, California to New York City in 7 hours, 28 minutes, 25 seconds.
- January 23, 1937 – In Moscow, 17 leading Communists go on trial accused of participating in a plot led by Leon Trotsky to overthrow Joseph Stalin’s regime and assassinate its leaders.
- February 11, 1937 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Ox in Chinese astrology.
- May 12, 1937 – George VI and Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon are crowned King and Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
- July 26, 1937 – End of the Battle of Brunete in the Spanish Civil War.
- September 21, 1937 – J. R. R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit is published.
- December 16, 1937 – Theodore Cole and Ralph Roe attempt to escape from the American federal prison on Alcatraz Island in San Francisco Bay; neither is ever seen again.
- December 21, 1937 – Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, the world’s first full-length animated feature, premieres at the Carthay Circle Theater.
- December 22, 1937 – The Lincoln Tunnel opens to traffic in New York City.
Who Were Born On 1937?
- January 1, 1937 – Petros Markaris, Greek writer
- February 1, 1937 – Ray Sawyer, American singer (Dr. Hook & the Medicine Show)
- March 2, 1937 – Denny Crum, College basketball coach
- March 4, 1937 – Barney Wilen, French jazz saxophonist (d. 1996)
- March 30, 1937 – Warren Beatty, American actor and director
- May 12, 1937 – George Carlin, American comedian (d. 2008)
- May 13, 1937 – Roch Carrier, Canadian novelist
- June 12, 1937 – Klaus Basikow, German football player and manager
- June 18, 1937 – John D. Rockefeller IV, American politician
- September 6, 1937 – Brigid Berlin, American actor