Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1938 Historical Event(s)
- January 31, 1938 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Tiger in Chinese astrology.
- February 11, 1938 – BBC Television produces the world’s first ever science fiction television program, an adaptation of a section of the Karel Capek play R.U.R., that coined the term “robot”.
- March 3, 1938 – Oil is discovered in Saudi Arabia.
- March 18, 1938 – Mexico nationalizes all foreign-owned oil properties within its borders.
- April 30, 1938 – The first televised FA Cup Final takes place between Huddersfield Town and Preston North End.
- June 11, 1938 – Second Sino-Japanese War: The Battle of Wuhan starts.
- September 29, 1938 – Munich Agreement: Germany was given permission from France, Italy, and Great Britain to seize the territory of Sudetenland, Czechoslovakia. The meeting occurred in Munich, and leaders from neither the Soviet Union nor Czechoslovakia attended.
- October 10, 1938 – The Munich Agreement cedes the Sudetenland to Nazi Germany.
- October 30, 1938 – Orson Welles broadcasts his radio play of H. G. Wells’s The War of the Worlds, causing anxiety in some of the audience in the United States.
- October 31, 1938 – Great Depression: In an effort to restore investor confidence, the New York Stock Exchange unveils a fifteen-point program aimed to upgrade protection for the investing public.
Who Were Born On 1938?
- February 1, 1938 – Niculiţă Secrieriu, Romanian painter (d. 2002)
- February 20, 1938 – Richard Beymer, American actor
- March 2, 1938 – Lawrence Payton, American singer and songwriter (The Four Tops) (d. 1997)
- April 8, 1938 – Kofi Annan, Ghanaian diplomat and former United Nations Secretary General
- April 29, 1938 – Fred Dibnah, British television personality (d. 2004)
- May 29, 1938 – Fay Vincent, American baseball commissioner
- July 19, 1938 – Jayant Narlikar, Indian astrophysicist
- July 20, 1938 – Natalie Wood, American actress (d. 1981)
- August 24, 1938 – Mason Williams, American guitarist and composer
- December 9, 1938 – Deacon Jones, American football player