Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1939 Historical Event(s)
- February 19, 1939 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Rabbit in Chinese astrology.
- March 23, 1939 – The Hungarian air force attacks the headquarters of Slovak air force in the city of Spišská Nová Ves, kills 13 people and began the Slovak–Hungarian War.
- April 9, 1939 – Marian Anderson sings at the Lincoln Memorial, after being denied the right to sing at the Daughters of the American Revolution’s Constitution Hall.
- April 30, 1939 – The 1939-40 New York World’s Fair opens.
- June 6, 1939 – Judge Joseph Force Crater, known as the “Missingest Man in New York”, is declared legally dead.
- June 12, 1939 – Shooting begins on Paramount Pictures’ Dr. Cyclops, the first horror film photographed in three-strip Technicolor.
- October 1, 1939 – After a one-month Siege of Warsaw, hostile forces enter the city.
- November 17, 1939 – Nine Czech students are executed as a response to anti-Nazi demonstrations prompted by the death of Jan Opletal. In addition, all Czech universities are shut down and over 1200 Czech students sent to concentration camps. Since this event, International Students’ Day is celebrated in many countries, especially in the Czech Republic.
- December 4, 1939 – World War II: HMS Nelson is struck by a mine (laid by GS U-31) off the Scottish coast and is laid up for repairs until August 1940.
- December 27, 1939 – Erzincan, Turkey is hit by an earthquake, killing 30,000.
Who Were Born On 1939?
- January 29, 1939 – Germaine Greer, Australian writer
- April 22, 1939 – Jason Miller, American playwright (d. 2001)
- May 2, 1939 – Sumio Iijima, Japanese physicist
- May 12, 1939 – Ron Ziegler, U.S. White House Press Secretary (d. 2003)
- May 26, 1939 – Brent Musburger, American sports broadcaster
- August 2, 1939 – Wes Craven, American film director
- September 25, 1939 – Feroz Khan, Indian actor (d. 2009)
- October 6, 1939 – John LaFalce, American politician, and former Member of the United States House of Representatives from New York
- December 21, 1939 – Lloyd Axworthy, Canadian politician
- December 30, 1939 – Felix Pappalardi, American musician and recording producer (Mountain) (d. 1983)