Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1939 Historical Event(s)
- February 19, 1939 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Rabbit in Chinese astrology.
- March 15, 1939 – World War II: German troops occupy the remaining part of Bohemia and Moravia; Czechoslovakia ceases to exist.
- April 4, 1939 – Faisal II becomes King of Iraq.
- May 17, 1939 – The Columbia Lions and the Princeton Tigers play in the United States’ first televised sporting event, a collegiate baseball game in New York City.
- June 4, 1939 – Holocaust: The MS St. Louis, a ship carrying 963 Jewish refugees, is denied permission to land in Florida, United States, after already being turned away from Cuba. Forced to return to Europe, more than 200 of its passengers later die in Nazi concentration camps.
- September 1, 1939 – The Wound Badge for Wehrmacht, SS, Kriegsmarine, and Luftwaffe soldiers is instituted. The final version of the Iron Cross is also instituted on this date.
- September 10, 1939 – World War II: Canada declares war on Nazi Germany, joining the Allies – France, the United Kingdom, New Zealand and Australia.
- December 2, 1939 – New York City’s La Guardia Airport opens.
- December 17, 1939 – World War II: Battle of the River Plate – The Admiral Graf Spee is scuttled by Captain Hans Langsdorff outside Montevideo.
- December 27, 1939 – Winter War: Finland holds off a Soviet attack in the Battle of Kelja.
Who Were Born On 1939?
- February 15, 1939 – Ole Ellefsæter, Norwegian cross-country skier
- February 17, 1939 – Mary Ann Mobley, American actress and beauty queen
- March 6, 1939 – Kit Bond, American politician
- April 23, 1939 – Lee Majors, American actor
- May 25, 1939 – Dixie Carter, American actress (d. 2010)
- June 12, 1939 – Frank McCloskey, American politician (d. 2003)
- August 12, 1939 – Michael D. Antonovich, American politician
- September 10, 1939 – Hans Sotin, German operatic bass
- November 21, 1939 – Budd Dwyer, American politician (d. 1987)
- December 30, 1939 – Glenda Adams, Australian author (d. 2007)