Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1939 Historical Event(s)
- February 19, 1939 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Rabbit in Chinese astrology.
- March 2, 1939 – Cardinal Eugenio Pacelli is elected Pope and takes the name Pius XII.
- March 15, 1939 – World War II: German troops occupy the remaining part of Bohemia and Moravia; Czechoslovakia ceases to exist.
- June 6, 1939 – Judge Joseph Force Crater, known as the “Missingest Man in New York”, is declared legally dead.
- June 12, 1939 – The Baseball Hall of Fame opens in Cooperstown, New York.
- August 23, 1939 – World War II: Germany and the Soviet Union sign a non-aggression treaty, the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact. In a secret addition to the pact, the Baltic states, Finland, Romania, and Poland are divided between the two nations.
- September 17, 1939 – World War II: The Soviet Union joins Nazi Germany’s invasion of Poland during the Polish Defensive War of 1939.
- September 18, 1939 – World War II: Polish government of Ignacy Mościcki flees to Romania.
- September 21, 1939 – Romanian Prime Minister Armand Calinescu is assassinated by ultranationalist members of the Iron Guard.
- October 14, 1939 – The GS U-47 sinks the British battleship HMS Royal Oak within her harbour at Scapa Flow, Scotland.
Who Were Born On 1939?
- January 3, 1939 – Bobby Hull, Canadian hockey player
- January 24, 1939 – Ray Stevens, American musician
- February 28, 1939 – Daniel C. Tsui, Chinese-born physicist, Nobel laureate
- March 4, 1939 – Carlos Vereza, Brazilian actor
- March 18, 1939 – Giannis Markopoulos, Greek composer
- July 30, 1939 – Peter Bogdanovich, American film director
- July 31, 1939 – France Nuyen, French actress
- August 29, 1939 – Jolán Kleiber-Kontsek, Hungarian athlete
- September 28, 1939 – Stuart Kauffman, American biologist
- November 26, 1939 – Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, Malaysian politician, 5th Prime Minister of Malaysia