Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1940 Historical Event(s)
- February 8, 1940 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Dragon in Chinese astrology.
- May 5, 1940 – World War II: Norwegian refugees form a government-in-exile in London
- May 6, 1940 – John Steinbeck is awarded the Pulitzer Prize for his novel The Grapes of Wrath.
- May 13, 1940 – World War II: Germany’s conquest of France begins as the German army crosses the Meuse. Winston Churchill makes his “blood, toil, tears, and sweat” speech to the House of Commons.
- May 28, 1940 – World War II: Norwegian, French, Polish and British forces recapture Narvik in Norway. This is the first allied infantry victory of the War.
- June 26, 1940 – World War II: under the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, the Soviet Union presents an ultimatum to Romania requiring it to cede Bessarabia and the northern part of Bukovina.
- October 4, 1940 – Meeting between Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini at the Brenner Pass.
- October 25, 1940 – Benjamin O. Davis, Sr. is named the first African American general in the United States Army.
- December 29, 1940 – World War II: In The Second Great Fire of London, the Luftwaffe fire-bombs London, killing almost 200 civilians.
Who Were Born On 1940?
- January 22, 1940 – George Seifert, American football coach
- March 4, 1940 – Tom Pedigo, American set decorator (d. 2000)
- March 12, 1940 – Joe Unger, American actor
- March 25, 1940 – Anita Bryant, American singer
- April 17, 1940 – Billy Fury, British singer (d. 1983)
- May 15, 1940 – Lainie Kazan, American actress and singer
- May 20, 1940 – Sadaharu Oh, Japanese baseball player
- June 20, 1940 – John Mahoney, English actor
- July 3, 1940 – Lamar Alexander, American politician
- August 7, 1940 – Jean-Luc Dehaene, Belgian politician