Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1942 Historical Event(s)
- January 16, 1942 – Crash of TWA Flight 3, killing all 22 aboard, including film star Carole Lombard.
- February 9, 1942 – Year-round Daylight saving time is re-instated in the United States as a wartime measure to help conserve energy resources.
- February 15, 1942 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Horse in Chinese astrology.
- March 29, 1942 – The Bombing of Lübeck in World War II is the first major success for the RAF Bomber Command against Germany and a German city.
- May 12, 1942 – World War II: Second Battle of Kharkov: in eastern Ukraine, Red Army forces under Marshal Semyon Timoshenko launch a major offensive from the Izium bridgehead, only to be encircled and destroyed by the troops of Army Group South two weeks later.
- May 30, 1942 – World War II: 1000 British bombers launch a 90-minute attack on Cologne, Germany.
- July 22, 1942 – Holocaust: the systematic deportation of Jews from the Warsaw Ghetto begins.
- October 28, 1942 – The Alaska Highway (Alcan Highway) is completed through Canada to Fairbanks, Alaska.
- November 13, 1942 – World War II: Naval Battle of Guadalcanal – U.S. and Japanese ships engage in an intense, close-quarters surface naval engagement during the Battle of Guadalcanal.
- November 28, 1942 – In Boston, Massachusetts, a fire in the Cocoanut Grove nightclub kills 491 people.
Who Were Born On 1942?
- March 5, 1942 – Mike Resnick, American science fiction author
- March 7, 1942 – Charles R. Boutin, American politician
- March 26, 1942 – Erica Jong, American author
- May 22, 1942 – Ted Kaczynski. American terrorist, known as the Unabomber
- June 8, 1942 – Nikos Konstantopoulos, Greek politician
- June 16, 1942 – Eddie Levert, American singer (The O'Jays)
- June 17, 1942 – Mohamed ElBaradei, Egyptian IAEA director, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize
- June 21, 1942 – Dan Henning, American football player
- July 12, 1942 – Tam White, Scottish blues singer and actor (d. 2010)
- September 17, 1942 – Robert Graysmith, Zodiac killer researcher