Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1942 Historical Event(s)
- February 1, 1942 – World War II: U.S. Navy conducts Marshalls-Gilberts raids, the first offensive action by the United States against Japanese forces in the Pacific Theater.
- February 14, 1942 – Battle of Pasir Panjang contributes to the fall of Singapore.
- February 15, 1942 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Horse in Chinese astrology.
- April 8, 1942 – World War II: The Japanese take Bataan in the Philippines.
- May 8, 1942 – World War II: The Battle of the Coral Sea comes to an end with Japanese Imperial Navy aircraft carrier aircraft attacking and sinking the United States Navy aircraft carrier USS Lexington. The battle marks the first time in the naval history that two enemy fleets fight without visual contact between warring ships.
- May 9, 1942 – Holocaust: The SS murders 588 Jewish residents of the Podolian town of Zinkiv (Khmelnytska oblast, Ukraine). The Zoludek Ghetto (in Belarus) is destroyed and all its inhabitants murdered or deported.
- June 3, 1942 – World War II: Japan begins the Aleutian Islands Campaign by bombing Unalaska Island.
- July 19, 1942 – World War II: Battle of the Atlantic – German Grand Admiral Karl Dönitz orders the last U-boats to withdraw from their United States Atlantic coast positions in response to the effective American convoy system.
- July 22, 1942 – Holocaust: the systematic deportation of Jews from the Warsaw Ghetto begins.
- September 12, 1942 – World War II: First day of the Battle of Edson’s Ridge during the Guadalcanal campaign. U.S. Marines protecting Henderson Field on Guadalcanal are attacked by Imperial Japanese Army forces.
Who Were Born On 1942?
- March 4, 1942 – David Matthews, American keyboardist
- March 28, 1942 – Jerry Sloan, American basketball player and head coach
- April 25, 1942 – Katsuji Adachi, Japanese professional wrestler
- June 8, 1942 – Nikos Konstantopoulos, Greek politician
- June 18, 1942 – Hans Vonk, Dutch conductor (d. 2004)
- July 22, 1942 – Peter Habeler, Austrian mountaineer
- September 28, 1942 – Edward “Little Buster” Forehand, soul and blues musician (d. 2006)
- October 17, 1942 – Steve Jones, American basketball player
- November 10, 1942 – Hans-Rudolf Merz, Swiss Federal Councilor
- December 12, 1942 – Peter Sarstedt, British musician