Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters YYPSAQNIIMI? Check your answers here: Words with these letters YYPSAQNIIMI. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
1942 Historical Event(s)
- February 9, 1942 – Year-round Daylight saving time is re-instated in the United States as a wartime measure to help conserve energy resources.
- February 15, 1942 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Horse in Chinese astrology.
- March 20, 1942 – World War II: General Douglas MacArthur, at Terowie, South Australia, makes his famous speech regarding the fall of the Philippines, in which he says: “I came out of Bataan and I shall return”.
- April 8, 1942 – World War II: Siege of Leningrad – Soviet forces open a much-needed railway link to Leningrad.
- May 12, 1942 – Holocaust: 1,500 Jews are sent to gas chambers in Auschwitz.
- June 8, 1942 – World War II: Japanese imperial submarines I-21 and I-24 shell the Australian cities of Sydney and Newcastle.
- July 6, 1942 – Anne Frank and her family go into hiding in the “Secret Annexe” above her father’s office in an Amsterdam warehouse.
- August 19, 1942 – World War II: Operation Jubilee – the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division leads an amphibious assault by allied forces on Dieppe, France and fails, many Canadians are killed or captured. The operation was doomed to fail, and was intended to develop and try new amphibious landing tactics for the coming full invasion in Normandy.
- August 25, 1942 – World War II: Battle of Milne Bay, Papua New Guinea.
- September 27, 1942 – Last day of the September Matanikau action on Guadalcanal as United States Marine Corps troops barely escape after being surrounded by Japanese forces near the Matanikau River.
Who Were Born On 1942?
- February 9, 1942 – Carole King, American singer
- March 26, 1942 – Erica Jong, American author
- March 27, 1942 – John E. Sulston, British chemist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
- April 2, 1942 – Leon Russell, American blues-rock pianist/guitarist
- April 16, 1942 – Jim Lonborg, American baseball player
- June 28, 1942 – Frank Zane, American bodybuilder
- August 10, 1942 – Betsey Johnson, American fashion designer
- August 23, 1942 – Letta Mbulu, Southafrican singer.
- November 10, 1942 – Robert F. Engle, American economist, Nobel laureate
- December 7, 1942 – Harry Chapin, American singer and songwriter (d. 1981)