Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1944 Historical Event(s)
- January 25, 1944 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Monkey in Chinese astrology.
- March 10, 1944 – Greek Civil War: The Political Committee of National Liberation is established in Greece by the National Liberation Front.
- June 9, 1944 – World War II: the Soviet Union invades East Karelia and the previously Finnish part of Karelia, occupied by Finland since 1941.
- June 13, 1944 – World War II: Germany launches a V1 Flying Bomb attack on England. Only four of the eleven bombs actually hit their targets.
- July 26, 1944 – World War II: the Soviet army enters Lviv, a major city in western Ukraine, liberating it from the Nazis. Only 300 Jews survive out of 160,000 living in Lviv prior to occupation.
- September 8, 1944 – World War II: London is hit by a V2 rocket for the first time.
- October 14, 1944 – Athens, Greece, is liberated by British Army troops entering the city as the Wehrmacht pulls out during World War II. This clears the way for the Greek government-in-exile to return to its historic capital city, with George Papandreou, Sr., as the head-of-government.
- October 20, 1944 – The Soviet Army and Yugoslav Partisans liberate Belgrade, the capital of Yugoslavia
- October 31, 1944 – Dr. jur. Erich Göstl, a member of the Waffen SS, is awarded the Knight’s Cross of the Iron Cross, to recognise extreme battlefield bravery, after losing his face and eyes during the Battle of Normandy.
- November 27, 1944 – World War II: An explosion at a Royal Air Force ammunition dump at Fauld, Staffordshire kills seventy people.
Who Were Born On 1944?
- February 22, 1944 – Tom Okker, Dutch tennis player
- March 8, 1944 – Palito Ortega, Argentine singer and actor
- March 17, 1944 – John Sebastian, American singer and songwriter
- April 8, 1944 – Hywel Bennett, Welsh actor
- May 18, 1944 – W. G. Sebald, German-born writer (d. 2001)
- May 28, 1944 – Jean-Pierre Léaud, French actor
- August 30, 1944 – Molly Ivins, American political humorist (d. 2007)
- September 13, 1944 – Leslie Harvey, Scottish rock guitarist (d.1972)
- October 20, 1944 – David Mancuso, American disc jockey
- December 26, 1944 – Jane Lapotaire, British actress