Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1944 Historical Event(s)
- January 25, 1944 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Monkey in Chinese astrology.
- February 15, 1944 – World War II: The assault on Monte Cassino, Italy, begins.
- June 10, 1944 – In baseball, 15-year old Joe Nuxhall of the Cincinnati Reds becomes the youngest player ever in a major-league game.
- July 22, 1944 – The Polish Committee of National Liberation publishes its manifesto, starting the period of Communist rule in Poland
- August 19, 1944 – World War II: Liberation of Paris – Paris rises against German occupation with the help of Allied troops.
- August 20, 1944 – World War II: the Battle of Romania begins with a major Soviet offensive.
- September 15, 1944 – Battle of Peleliu begins as the United States Marine Corps’ 1st Marine Division and the United States Army’s 81st Infantry Division hit White and Orange beaches under heavy fire from Japanese infantry and artillery.
- October 23, 1944 – World War II: Battle of Leyte Gulf – The largest naval battle in history begins in the Philippines.
- November 12, 1944 – World War II: The Royal Air Force launches 29 Avro Lancaster bombers in one of the most successful precision bombing attacks of war and sinks the German battleship Tirpitz, with 12,000 lb Tallboy bombs off Tromsø, Norway.
Who Were Born On 1944?
- February 5, 1944 – Tamanoumi Masahiro, Japanese sumo wrestler, the 51st Yokozuna (d. 1971)
- February 16, 1944 – Richard Ford, American novelist
- April 13, 1944 – Charles Burnett, American film director
- April 22, 1944 – Steve Fossett, American adventurer (d. 2007)
- April 24, 1944 – Tony Visconti, American record producer
- April 25, 1944 – Len Goodman, English dancer
- June 27, 1944 – Patrick Sercu, Belgian cyclist
- June 30, 1944 – Glenn Shorrock, Australian singer-songwriter (Little River Band)
- October 25, 1944 – Kati Kovács, Hungarian singer
- November 30, 1944 – George Graham, Scottish former footballer