What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Josiah’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
1944 Historical Event(s)
- January 3, 1944 – World War II: Top Ace Major Greg “Pappy” Boyington is shot down in his Corsair by Captain Masajiro Kawato flying a Zero.
- January 25, 1944 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Monkey in Chinese astrology.
- April 22, 1944 – World War II: Operation Persecution is initiated – Allied forces land in the Hollandia (currently known as Jayapura) area of New Guinea.
- May 18, 1944 – World War II: Battle of Monte Cassino – Conclusion after seven days of the fourth battle as German paratroopers evacuate Monte Cassino.
- June 15, 1944 – World War II: Battle of Saipan: The United States invade Japanese-occupied Saipan.
- June 30, 1944 – World War II: The Battle of Cherbourg ends with the fall of the strategically valuable port to American forces.
- August 12, 1944 – Alençon is liberated by General Leclerc, the first city in France to be liberated from the Nazis by French forces.
- August 25, 1944 – World War II: Paris is liberated by the Allies.
- September 27, 1944 – The Kassel Mission results in the largest loss by a USAAF group on any mission in World War II.
- November 16, 1944 – Operation Queen, the costly Allied thrust to the Rur river was launched
Who Were Born On 1944?
- February 29, 1944 – Steve Mingori, American baseball player (d. 2008)
- March 5, 1944 – Roy Gutman, American journalist, Pulitzer Prize winner
- May 16, 1944 – Danny Trejo, American actor
- July 27, 1944 – Barbara Thompson (musician), English jazz saxophonist, flautist and composer
- August 4, 1944 – Richard Belzer, American actor and comedian
- August 30, 1944 – Tug McGraw, American baseball player (d. 2004)
- September 25, 1944 – Michael Douglas, American actor and producer
- October 23, 1944 – Mike Harding, English singer and comedian
- October 28, 1944 – Coluche, French comedian and actor (d. 1986)
- December 13, 1944 – Hwang Jang Lee, Korean martial artist and film actor