Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1945 Historical Event(s)
- January 30, 1945 – World War II: The Wilhelm Gustloff, overfilled with refugees, sinks in the Baltic Sea after being torpedoed by a Soviet submarine, leading to the deadliest known maritime disaster, killing approximately 9,400 people.
- February 13, 1945 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Rooster in Chinese astrology.
- February 19, 1945 – World War II: Battle of Iwo Jima – about 30,000 United States Marines land on the island of Iwo Jima.
- April 8, 1945 – World War II: After an air raid accidentally destroys a train carrying about 4,000 Nazi concentration camp internees in Prussian Hanover, the survivors are massacred by Nazis.
- April 9, 1945 – The United States Atomic Energy Commission is formed.
- April 15, 1945 – The Bergen-Belsen concentration camp is liberated.
- April 21, 1945 – World War II: Soviet Union forces south of Berlin at Zossen attack the German High Command headquarters.
- May 9, 1945 – World War II: Ratification in Berlin-Karlshorst of the German unconditional surrender of May 8 in Rheims, France, with the signatures of Marshal Georgy Zhukov for the Soviet Union, and for the Western Headquarters Sir Arthur Tedder, British Air Marshal and Eisenhower’s deputy, and for the German side of Colonel-General Hans-Jürgen Stumpff as the representative of the Luftwaffe, Field Marshal Wilhelm Keitel as the Chief of Staff of OKW, and Admiral Hans-Georg von Friedeburg as Commander-in-Chief of the Kriegsmarine.
- July 26, 1945 – The Potsdam Declaration is signed in Potsdam, Germany.
- October 10, 1945 – The Chinese Communist Party and the Kuomintang signed a principle agreement in Chongqing about the future of post-war China. Later, the pact is commonly referred to as the Double-Ten Agreement.
Who Were Born On 1945?
- February 20, 1945 – Andrew Bergman, American screenwriter and film director
- June 14, 1945 – Marilyn Schreffler, American voice actor (d. 1988)
- June 26, 1945 – Malachi York, Nuwaubian leader
- September 17, 1945 – Phil Jackson, American basketball player and NBA head coach
- October 7, 1945 – Kevin Godley, British musician (10cc)
- October 14, 1945 – Daan Jippes, Dutch cartoonist
- October 24, 1945 – Alan Titus, American baritone
- October 25, 1945 – Peter Ledger, Australian artist (d. 1994)
- November 15, 1945 – Roger Donaldson, Australian producer/director
- November 20, 1945 – Nanette Workman, American-born Canadian singer and actress