Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1945 Historical Event(s)
- February 4, 1945 – World War II: The British Indian Army and Imperial Japanese Army begin a series of battles known as the Battle of Pokoku and Irrawaddy River operations.
- February 13, 1945 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Rooster in Chinese astrology.
- March 15, 1945 – World War II: Soviet forces begin an offensive to push Germans from Upper Silesia.
- April 15, 1945 – The Bergen-Belsen concentration camp is liberated.
- May 8, 1945 – World War II: V-E Day, combat ends in Europe. German forces agree in Rheims, France, to an unconditional surrender.
- May 9, 1945 – World War II: Ratification in Berlin-Karlshorst of the German unconditional surrender of May 8 in Rheims, France, with the signatures of Marshal Georgy Zhukov for the Soviet Union, and for the Western Headquarters Sir Arthur Tedder, British Air Marshal and Eisenhower’s deputy, and for the German side of Colonel-General Hans-Jürgen Stumpff as the representative of the Luftwaffe, Field Marshal Wilhelm Keitel as the Chief of Staff of OKW, and Admiral Hans-Georg von Friedeburg as Commander-in-Chief of the Kriegsmarine.
- July 16, 1945 – World War II: The Heavy Cruiser USS Indianapolis (CA-35) leaves San Francisco with parts for the atomic bomb “Little Boy” bound for Tinian Island. This would be the last time the Indianapolis would be seen by the Mainland she would be torpedoed by the Japanese Submarine I-58 on July 30 and sink with 880 out of 1,196 crewmen.
- August 9, 1945 – World War II: Nagasaki is devastated when an atomic bomb, Fat Man, is dropped by the United States B-29 Bockscar. 39,000 people are killed outright.
- September 2, 1945 – Vietnam declares its independence, forming the Democratic Republic of Vietnam.
Who Were Born On 1945?
- February 14, 1945 – Hans-Adam II, Prince of Liechtenstein
- April 26, 1945 – Sylvain Simard, Canadian politician
- June 1, 1945 – Linda Scott, American singer
- July 20, 1945 – Larry Craig, American politician
- August 5, 1945 – Csaba Giczy, Hungarian sprint canoer
- September 11, 1945 – Franz Beckenbauer, German footballer
- September 13, 1945 – Noël Godin, Belgian humorist
- October 5, 1945 – Geoff Leigh, English musician (Henry Cow)
- November 24, 1945 – Lee Michaels, American musician and singer
- December 15, 1945 – Thaao Penghlis, Australian actor