Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1946 Historical Event(s)
- February 1, 1946 – Trygve Lie of Norway is picked to be the first United Nations Secretary General.
- February 2, 1946 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Dog in Chinese astrology.
- March 18, 1946 – Diplomatic relations between Switzerland and the Soviet Union are established.
- May 5, 1946 – The International Military Tribunal for the Far East begins in Tokyo with twenty-eight Japanese military and government officials accused of war crimes and crimes against humanity.
- June 27, 1946 – In the Canadian Citizenship Act, the Parliament of Canada establishes the definition of Canadian citizenship.
- July 4, 1946 – After 381 years of near-continuous colonial rule by various powers, the Philippines attains full independence from the United States.
- July 22, 1946 – King David Hotel bombing: a Zionist underground organisation, the Irgun, bombs the King David Hotel in Jerusalem, site of the civil administration and military headquarters for Mandate Palestine, resulting in 91 deaths.
- August 4, 1946 – An earthquake of magnitude 8.0 hits northern Dominican Republic. 100 are killed and 20,000 are left homeless.
- September 2, 1946 – The Interim Government of India is formed with Jawaharlal Nehru as Vice President with the powers of a Prime Minister.
- October 1, 1946 – Mensa International is founded in the United Kingdom.
Who Were Born On 1946?
- February 21, 1946 – Tyne Daly, American actress
- March 16, 1946 – Hubert Soudant, Dutch conductor
- March 27, 1946 – Olaf Malolepski, German musician (Die Flippers)
- May 1, 1946 – Joanna Lumley, English actress
- July 5, 1946 – Gerardus 't Hooft, Dutch physicist, Nobel laureate
- July 11, 1946 – Cuthbert Johnson, Benedictine abbot.
- July 29, 1946 – Neal Doughty, American keyboardist (REO Speedwagon)
- August 6, 1946 – Masaaki Sakai, Japanese comedian
- October 5, 1946 – Jean Perron, Canadian ice hockey coach
- November 4, 1946 – Robert Mapplethorpe, American photographer (d. 1989)