What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Hudson’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
1947 Historical Event(s)
- January 1, 1947 – The Canadian Citizenship Act 1946 comes into effect, converting British subjects into Canadian citizens. Prime Minister William Lyon Mackenzie King becomes the first Canadian citizen.
- January 22, 1947 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Pig in Chinese astrology.
- March 17, 1947 – First flight of the B-45 Tornado strategic bomber.
- April 6, 1947 – The first Tony Awards are presented for theatrical achievement.
- April 16, 1947 – Texas City Disaster: An explosion on board a freighter in port causes the city of Texas City, Texas, to catch fire, killing almost 600.
- April 28, 1947 – Thor Heyerdahl and five crew mates set out from Peru on the Kon-Tiki to prove that Peruvian natives could have settled Polynesia.
- May 1, 1947 – Portella della Ginestra massacre against May Day celebrations in Sicily by the bandit and separatist leader Salvatore Giuliano; 11 persons are killed and 33 wounded.
- August 4, 1947 – The Supreme Court of Japan is established.
- November 18, 1947 – The Ballantyne’s Department Store fire in Christchurch, New Zealand, kills 41; it is the worst fire disaster in the history of New Zealand.
- November 29, 1947 – The Partition Plan: the United Nations General Assembly votes to partition Israel.
Who Were Born On 1947?
- February 11, 1947 – Kikko Matsuoka, Japanese actress
- February 12, 1947 – Jim Durham, American sportscaster
- March 10, 1947 – Tom Scholz, American songwriter and guitarist (Boston)
- April 11, 1947 – Uli Edel, German film director
- April 16, 1947 – Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, American basketball player
- May 29, 1947 – Gene Robinson, American ecclesiastic
- May 31, 1947 – Junior Campbell, British musician and songwriter (The Marmalade)
- July 7, 1947 – Howard Rheingold, American critic and writer
- July 8, 1947 – Luis Fernando Figari, Peruvian founder of Sodalitium Christianae Vitae
- October 18, 1947 – Joe Morton, American actor