Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1948 Historical Event(s)
- January 1, 1948 – The British railway network is nationalised to form British Railways.
- January 30, 1948 – Indian pacifist and leader Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi known for his non-violent freedom struggle is assassinated by Pandit Nathuram Godse, a Hindu extremist.
- February 10, 1948 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Rat in Chinese astrology.
- February 21, 1948 – NASCAR is incorporated.
- March 25, 1948 – The first successful tornado forecast predicts that a tornado will strike Tinker Air Force Base, Oklahoma.
- April 13, 1948 – The Hadassah medical convoy massacre: In an ambush, 79 Jewish doctors, nurses and medical students from Hadassah Hospital and a British soldier are massacred by Arabs in Sheikh Jarra near Jerusalem.
- May 13, 1948 – 1948 Arab-Israeli War: the Kfar Etzion massacre is committed by Arab irregulars, the day before the declaration of independence of the state of Israel on May 14.
- May 23, 1948 – Thomas C. Wasson, US Consul-General assassinated in Jerusalem.
- October 27, 1948 – Léopold Sédar Senghor founds the Senegalese Democratic Bloc.
- December 11, 1948 – The United Nations passes General Assembly Resolution 194, which established and defined the role of the United Nations Conciliation Commission as an organization to facilitate peace in the British Mandate for Palestine.
Who Were Born On 1948?
- January 11, 1948 – Fritz Bohla, German football player and manager
- March 14, 1948 – Billy Crystal, American actor and comedian
- March 19, 1948 – Vincent van der Bijl, South African cricketer
- March 29, 1948 – Bud Cort, American actor
- April 12, 1948 – Joschka Fischer, Foreign Minister of Germany 1998-2005
- August 11, 1948 – Jan Palach, Czechoslovakian student protester (d. 1969)
- October 18, 1948 – Hans Köchler, Austrian philosopher
- November 5, 1948 – Hridayananda dasa Goswami, ISKCON guru
- November 16, 1948 – Horst Bertram, German footballer
- December 25, 1948 – Alia al Hussein, of Jordan (d. 1977)