Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1948 Historical Event(s)
- January 1, 1948 – The British railway network is nationalised to form British Railways.
- February 10, 1948 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Rat in Chinese astrology.
- May 9, 1948 – Czechoslovakia’s Ninth-of-May Constitution comes into effect.
- May 10, 1948 – The Republic of China implements “temporary provisions” granting President Chiang Kai-shek extended powers to deal with the Communist uprising; they will remain in effect until 1991.
- May 13, 1948 – 1948 Arab-Israeli War: the Kfar Etzion massacre is committed by Arab irregulars, the day before the declaration of independence of the state of Israel on May 14.
- May 24, 1948 – Arab–Israeli War: Egypt captures the Israeli kibbutz of Yad Mordechai, but the five-day effort gives Israeli forces time to prepare enough to stop the Egyptian advance a week later.
- June 26, 1948 – William Shockley files the original patent for the grown junction transistor, the first bipolar junction transistor.
- July 29, 1948 – Olympic Games: The Games of the XIV Olympiad – after a hiatus of 12 years caused by World War II, the first Summer Olympics to be held since the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin, open in London.
- August 18, 1948 – The Australian cricket team completed a 4–0 Ashes series win over England during their undefeated Invincibles tour.
- September 17, 1948 – The Nizam of Hyderabad surrenders his sovereignty over the Hyderabad State and joins the Indian Union.
Who Were Born On 1948?
- January 12, 1948 – Kenny Allen, English footballer
- May 16, 1948 – Judy Finnegan, English TV presenter (Richard & Judy)
- July 15, 1948 – Alicia Bridges, American singer
- August 13, 1948 – Kathleen Battle, American soprano
- August 16, 1948 – Barry Hay, Indian-born Dutch singer (Golden Earring)
- August 20, 1948 – Robert Plant, British Musician (Led Zeppelin)
- August 23, 1948 – Andrei Pleşu, Romanian writer, essayist
- October 20, 1948 – Melih Gökçek, Turkish politician
- November 3, 1948 – Takashi Kawamura, Japanese politician
- December 6, 1948 – Don Nickles, American politician