Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1948 Historical Event(s)
- February 10, 1948 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Rat in Chinese astrology.
- February 21, 1948 – NASCAR is incorporated.
- April 7, 1948 – A Buddhist monastery burns in Shanghai, China, leaving twenty monks dead.
- April 13, 1948 – The Hadassah medical convoy massacre: In an ambush, 79 Jewish doctors, nurses and medical students from Hadassah Hospital and a British soldier are massacred by Arabs in Sheikh Jarra near Jerusalem.
- May 16, 1948 – Chaim Weizmann is elected the first President of Israel.
- May 18, 1948 – The First Legislative Yuan of the Republic of China officially convenes in Nanking.
- July 14, 1948 – Palmiro Togliatti, leader of the Italian Communist Party, is shot and wounded near the Italian Parliament.
- July 16, 1948 – Following token resistance, the city of Nazareth, revered by Christians as the hometown of Jesus, capitulates to Israeli troops during Operation Dekel in the 1948 Arab-Israeli War.
- August 10, 1948 – Candid Camera makes its television debut after being on radio for a year as Candid Microphone.
- December 30, 1948 – The Cole Porter Broadway musical, Kiss Me, Kate (1,077 performances), opens at the New Century Theatre and becomes the first show to win the Best Musical Tony Award.
Who Were Born On 1948?
- February 28, 1948 – Bernadette Peters, American actress and singer
- March 12, 1948 – James Taylor, American musician
- June 12, 1948 – Herbert Meyer, German footballer
- June 19, 1948 – Nick Drake, English musician (d. 1974)
- June 23, 1948 – Darhyl S. Ramsey, American author
- July 4, 1948 – Jeremy Spencer, English musician
- July 13, 1948 – Daphne Maxwell Reid, American actress
- September 17, 1948 – John Ritter, American actor (d. 2003)
- October 13, 1948 – Ted Poe, American politician
- October 23, 1948 – Hermann Hauser, Austrian-born entrepreneur