Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1949 Historical Event(s)
- January 29, 1949 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Ox in Chinese astrology.
- April 5, 1949 – Fireside Theater debuts on television.
- April 18, 1949 – The aircraft carrier USS United States is laid down at Newport News Drydock and Shipbuilding. However, construction is canceled five days later, resulting in the Revolt of the Admirals.
- October 1, 1949 – The People’s Republic of China is established and declared by Mao Zedong.
- October 3, 1949 – WERD, the 1st black-owned radio station in the United States, opens in Atlanta, Georgia.
- October 7, 1949 – The German Democratic Republic (East Germany) is formed.
- October 14, 1949 – Eleven leaders of the American Communist Party are convicted, after a nine-month trial in a Federal District Court, of conspiring to advocate the violent overthrow of the U.S. Federal Government.
- October 16, 1949 – The diplomatic relations between the Soviet Union and the German Democratic Republic are established.
- December 10, 1949 – Chinese Civil War: The People’s Liberation Army begins its siege of Chengdu, the last Kuomintang-held city in mainland China, forcing President of the Republic of China Chiang Kai-shek and his government to retreat to Taiwan.
- December 27, 1949 – Indonesian National Revolution: The Netherlands officially recognizes Indonesian independence. End of the Dutch East Indies.
Who Were Born On 1949?
- January 25, 1949 – Paul Nurse, English biochemist, Nobel Laureate
- March 8, 1949 – Karel Lismont, Belgian athlete
- March 22, 1949 – Brian Hanrahan, English journalist and broadcaster (d.2010)
- May 7, 1949 – Marilyn Cole, English model
- August 11, 1949 – Eric Carmen, American singer and guitarist (Raspberries)
- September 3, 1949 – José Pekerman, Argentine football manager
- September 9, 1949 – John Curry, British figure skater (d. 1994)
- November 5, 1949 – Armin Shimerman, American actor
- November 25, 1949 – Kerry O'Keeffe, Australian Test cricketer and commentator
- November 30, 1949 – Jimmy London, Jamaican reggae singer