What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Gina’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
1949 Historical Event(s)
- January 29, 1949 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Ox in Chinese astrology.
- February 19, 1949 – Ezra Pound is awarded the first Bollingen Prize in poetry by the Bollingen Foundation and Yale University.
- April 4, 1949 – Twelve nations sign the North Atlantic Treaty creating the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
- August 10, 1949 – U.S. President Harry S. Truman signs the National Security Act Amendment, streamlining the defense agencies of the United States government, and replacing the Department of War with the United States Department of Defense.
- August 22, 1949 – Queen Charlotte earthquake: Canada’s largest earthquake since the 1700 Cascadia earthquake
- September 17, 1949 – The Canadian steamship SS Noronic burns in Toronto Harbour with the loss of over 118 lives.
- October 7, 1949 – The German Democratic Republic (East Germany) is formed.
- October 16, 1949 – Nikolaos Zachariadis, leader of the Communist Party of Greece, announces a “temporary cease-fire”, effectively ending the Greek Civil War.
- November 2, 1949 – The Dutch–Indonesian Round Table Conference ends with the Netherlands agreeing to transfer sovereignty of the Dutch East Indies to the United States of Indonesia.
- December 13, 1949 – The Knesset votes to move the capital of Israel to Jerusalem.
Who Were Born On 1949?
- May 7, 1949 – Marilyn Cole, English model
- May 9, 1949 – Billy Joel, American musician
- July 2, 1949 – Robert Paquette, French-Canadian singer and songwriter
- July 12, 1949 – Rick Hendrick, American NASCAR team owner
- July 17, 1949 – Terence “Geezer” Butler, British musician and lyricist (Black Sabbath)
- August 20, 1949 – Alan Hardwick, English TV presenter
- September 10, 1949 – Don Muraco, professional wrestler
- November 29, 1949 – Wayne Cowan, American wrestler
- December 8, 1949 – Nancy Meyers, American film director, producer and screenwriter
- December 23, 1949 – Adrian Belew, American musician (King Crimson)