Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1949 Historical Event(s)
- January 20, 1949 – Point Four Program a program for economic aid to poor countries announced by United States President Harry S. Truman in his inaugural address for a full term as President.
- January 29, 1949 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Ox in Chinese astrology.
- May 11, 1949 – Israel joins the United Nations.
- June 5, 1949 – Thailand elects Orapin Chaiyakan, the first Thai female member of Thailand’s Parliament.
- July 1, 1949 – The merger of two princely states of India, Cochin and Travancore, into the state of Thiru-Kochi (later re-organized as Kerala) in the Indian Union ends more than 1,000 years of princely rule by the Cochin Royal Family.
- September 4, 1949 – The Peekskill Riots erupt after a Paul Robeson concert in Peekskill, New York.
- September 6, 1949 – A former sharpshooter in World War II, Howard Unruh kills 13 neighbors in Camden, New Jersey, with a souvenir Luger to become the first U.S. single-episode mass murderer.
- October 16, 1949 – The diplomatic relations between the Soviet Union and the German Democratic Republic are established.
- October 24, 1949 – The cornerstone of the United Nations Headquarters is laid.
- November 2, 1949 – The Dutch–Indonesian Round Table Conference ends with the Netherlands agreeing to transfer sovereignty of the Dutch East Indies to the United States of Indonesia.
Who Were Born On 1949?
- January 17, 1949 – Andy Kaufman, American comedian (d. 1984)
- April 30, 1949 – Phil Garner, baseball manager
- June 12, 1949 – John Wetton, English musician (Asia)
- August 24, 1949 – Pia Degermark, Swedish actress
- September 5, 1949 – Clem Clempson, English rock guitarist
- October 23, 1949 – Nick Tosches, American writer
- November 19, 1949 – Amand Theis, German footballer
- November 24, 1949 – Shane Bourne, Australian comedian and actor
- December 22, 1949 – Robin Gibb, English musician (The Bee Gees)
- December 25, 1949 – Joe Louis Walker, American musician