Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1949 Historical Event(s)
- January 20, 1949 – Point Four Program a program for economic aid to poor countries announced by United States President Harry S. Truman in his inaugural address for a full term as President.
- January 29, 1949 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Ox in Chinese astrology.
- March 31, 1949 – The Dominion of Newfoundland joins the Canadian Confederation and becomes the 10th Province of Canada.
- April 1, 1949 – Chinese Civil War: The Communist Party of China holds unsuccessful peace talks with the Kuomintang in Beijing, after three years of fighting.
- April 18, 1949 – The aircraft carrier USS United States is laid down at Newport News Drydock and Shipbuilding. However, construction is canceled five days later, resulting in the Revolt of the Admirals.
- May 5, 1949 – The Treaty of London establishes the Council of Europe in Strasbourg as the first European institution working for European integration.
- June 8, 1949 – George Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four is published.
- September 4, 1949 – The Peekskill Riots erupt after a Paul Robeson concert in Peekskill, New York.
- October 14, 1949 – Eleven leaders of the American Communist Party are convicted, after a nine-month trial in a Federal District Court, of conspiring to advocate the violent overthrow of the U.S. Federal Government.
- December 8, 1949 – United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East is established to provide aid to Palestinian refugees who left their homes during the 1948 Palestinian exodus.
Who Were Born On 1949?
- February 10, 1949 – Nigel Olsson, English drummer
- April 12, 1949 – Scott Turow, American writer
- May 6, 1949 – Ross Bagdasarian, Jr., American voice actor and cartoonist
- July 2, 1949 – Roy Bittan, American keyboardist (E Street Band)
- July 21, 1949 – Al Hrabosky, baseball player
- August 13, 1949 – Bobby Clarke, Canadian ice hockey player
- October 25, 1949 – Réjean Houle, Canadian ice hockey player
- November 12, 1949 – Ron Lapointe, Canadian ice hockey coach (d. 1992)
- December 5, 1949 – John Altman, British film composer
- December 22, 1949 – Maurice Gibb, English musician (The Bee Gees) (d. 2003)