What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Anna’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
1949 Historical Event(s)
- January 29, 1949 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Ox in Chinese astrology.
- April 23, 1949 – Chinese Civil War: Establishment of the People’s Liberation Army Navy.
- April 28, 1949 – Former First Lady of the Philippines Aurora Quezon, 61, is assassinated while en route to dedicate a hospital in memory of her late husband; her daughter and 10 others are also killed.
- May 23, 1949 – The Federal Republic of Germany is established and the Basic Law for the Federal Republic of Germany is proclaimed.
- September 4, 1949 – The Peekskill Riots erupt after a Paul Robeson concert in Peekskill, New York.
- September 17, 1949 – The Canadian steamship SS Noronic burns in Toronto Harbour with the loss of over 118 lives.
- October 7, 1949 – The German Democratic Republic (East Germany) is formed.
- October 14, 1949 – Eleven leaders of the American Communist Party are convicted, after a nine-month trial in a Federal District Court, of conspiring to advocate the violent overthrow of the U.S. Federal Government.
- November 18, 1949 – The Iva Valley Shooting occurs after the coal miners of Enugu in Nigeria go on strike over withheld wages; 21 miners are shot dead and 51 are wounded by police under the supervision of the British colonial administration of Nigeria.
- December 27, 1949 – Indonesian National Revolution: The Netherlands officially recognizes Indonesian independence. End of the Dutch East Indies.
Who Were Born On 1949?
- February 9, 1949 – Judith Light, American actress
- March 22, 1949 – Brian Hanrahan, English journalist and broadcaster (d.2010)
- April 20, 1949 – Jessica Lange, American actress
- April 30, 1949 – Phil Garner, baseball manager
- May 2, 1949 – Alan Titchmarsh, English television presenter
- May 30, 1949 – Klaüs Flouride (né Geoffrey Lyall), American musician (Dead Kennedys)
- September 7, 1949 – Barry Siegel, American journalist
- September 12, 1949 – Irina Rodnina, Russian figure skater
- September 14, 1949 – Eikichi Yazawa, Japanese singer
- October 25, 1949 – Réjean Houle, Canadian ice hockey player