Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1950 Historical Event(s)
- February 14, 1950 – Chinese Civil War: The National Revolutionary Army instigates the unsuccessful Battle of Tianquan against the People’s Liberation Army.
- February 17, 1950 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Tiger in Chinese astrology.
- May 5, 1950 – Bhumibol Adulyadej crowns himself King Rama IX of Thailand.
- June 8, 1950 – Sir Thomas Blamey becomes the only Australian-born Field Marshal in Australian history.
- June 28, 1950 – Bodo League massacre: Korean War.
- July 11, 1950 – Pakistan joins the International Monetary Fund and the International Bank.
- August 18, 1950 – Julien Lahaut, the chairman of the Communist Party of Belgium is assassinated by far-right elements.
- August 22, 1950 – Althea Gibson becomes the first black competitor in international tennis.
- November 19, 1950 – US General Dwight D. Eisenhower becomes supreme commander of NATO-Europe
- November 24, 1950 – The “Storm of the Century”, a violent snowstorm, takes shape on this date before paralyzing the northeastern United States and the Appalachians the next day, bringing winds up to 100 mph and sub-zero temperatures. Pickens, West Virginia, records 57 inches of snow. 353 people would die as a result of the storm.
Who Were Born On 1950?
- January 21, 1950 – Gary Locke, American politician, 21st Governor of Washington, and 36th United States Secretary of Commerce
- March 20, 1950 – Carl Palmer, English drummer (Emerson, Lake & Palmer)
- April 14, 1950 – Francis Collins, American scientist, director of National Health Institutes
- June 8, 1950 – Kathy Baker, American actress
- July 19, 1950 – Freddy Moore, American songwriter
- July 23, 1950 – Alan Turner, Australian cricketer
- November 10, 1950 – Bob Orton, Jr., American wrestler
- November 11, 1950 – Mircea Dinescu, Romanian poet
- December 1, 1950 – Keith Thibodeaux, American actor and drummer
- December 18, 1950 – Heinz-Josef Kehr, German footballer