Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1950 Historical Event(s)
- January 26, 1950 – The Constitution of India comes into force, forming a republic. Rajendra Prasad is sworn in as its first President of India. Observed as Republic Day in India.
- February 17, 1950 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Tiger in Chinese astrology.
- March 7, 1950 – Cold War: The Soviet Union issues a statement denying that Klaus Fuchs served as a Soviet spy.
- March 12, 1950 – The Llandow air disaster occurs near Sigingstone, Wales, in which 80 people die when their aircraft crashed, making it the world’s deadliest air disaster at the time.
- July 4, 1950 – The first broadcast by Radio Free Europe.
- August 17, 1950 – Hill 303 massacre: American POWs were massacred by North Korean Army.
- August 18, 1950 – Julien Lahaut, the chairman of the Communist Party of Belgium is assassinated by far-right elements.
- August 20, 1950 – Korean War: United Nations repel an offensive by North Korean divisions attempting to cross the Naktong River and assault the city of Taegu.
- August 29, 1950 – Korean War: British troops arrive in Korea to bolster the US presence there.
- December 17, 1950 – The F-86 Sabre’s first mission over Korea.
Who Were Born On 1950?
- January 10, 1950 – Ernie Wasson, American gardener and writer
- March 4, 1950 – Ron Climie, retired American professional ice hockey player
- March 20, 1950 – Carl Palmer, English drummer (Emerson, Lake & Palmer)
- March 23, 1950 – Anthony De Longis, American actor
- March 31, 1950 – András Adorján, Hungarian chess player
- April 18, 1950 – Paul Callery, football player
- June 21, 1950 – Anne Carson, Canadian poet
- July 3, 1950 – Ewen Chatfield, New Zealand cricketer
- July 5, 1950 – Huey Lewis, American singer (Huey Lewis and the News)
- September 8, 1950 – Mike Simpson, American politician