Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1950 Historical Event(s)
- February 17, 1950 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Tiger in Chinese astrology.
- March 17, 1950 – Researchers at the University of California, Berkeley announce the creation of element 98, which they name “Californium”.
- June 25, 1950 – The Korean War begins with the invasion of South Korea by North Korea.
- July 5, 1950 – Zionism: the Knesset passes the Law of Return which grants all Jews the right to immigrate to Israel.
- July 20, 1950 – Cold War: In Philadelphia, Harry Gold pleads guilty to spying for the Soviet Union by passing secrets from atomic scientist Klaus Fuchs.
- September 24, 1950 – Forest fires black out the sun over portions of Canada and New England. A blue moon (in the astronomical sense) is seen as far away as Europe.
- September 28, 1950 – Indonesia joins the United Nations.
- October 2, 1950 – Peanuts by Charles M. Schulz is first published
- October 19, 1950 – The People’s Liberation Army takes control of the town of Qamdo; this is sometimes called the “Invasion of Tibet”.
- December 12, 1950 – Paula Ackerman, the first woman appointed to perform rabbinical functions in the United States, leads the congregation in her first services.
Who Were Born On 1950?
- January 17, 1950 – Luis López Nieves, Latin American writer
- May 4, 1950 – Darryl Hunt, English musician (The Pogues)
- May 20, 1950 – Reinaldo Merlo, Argentine footballer
- July 26, 1950 – Rich Vogler, American race car driver (d. 1990)
- August 8, 1950 – Ken Kutaragi, Founder of PlayStation
- August 15, 1950 – Anne, Princess Royal of the United Kingdom
- October 5, 1950 – James Rizzi, American pop artist (d. 2011)
- October 17, 1950 – Howard Rollins, American actor (d. 1996)
- November 22, 1950 – Jim Jefferies, Scottish football manager