Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1950 Historical Event(s)
- January 6, 1950 – The United Kingdom recognizes the People’s Republic of China. The Republic of China severs diplomatic relations with the UK in response.
- February 14, 1950 – Chinese Civil War: The National Revolutionary Army instigates the unsuccessful Battle of Tianquan against the People’s Liberation Army.
- February 17, 1950 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Tiger in Chinese astrology.
- March 7, 1950 – Cold War: The Soviet Union issues a statement denying that Klaus Fuchs served as a Soviet spy.
- May 9, 1950 – Robert Schuman presents his proposal on the creation of an organized Europe, which according to him was indispensable to the maintenance of peaceful relations. This proposal, known as the “Schuman declaration”, is considered by some people to be the beginning of the creation of what is now the European Union.
- July 4, 1950 – The first broadcast by Radio Free Europe.
- September 3, 1950 – “Nino” Farina becomes the first Formula One Drivers’ champion after winning the 1950 Italian Grand Prix.
- September 28, 1950 – Indonesia joins the United Nations.
- October 11, 1950 – Television: CBS’s mechanical color system is the first to be licensed for broadcast by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission.
- November 24, 1950 – The “Storm of the Century”, a violent snowstorm, takes shape on this date before paralyzing the northeastern United States and the Appalachians the next day, bringing winds up to 100 mph and sub-zero temperatures. Pickens, West Virginia, records 57 inches of snow. 353 people would die as a result of the storm.
Who Were Born On 1950?
- January 23, 1950 – John Greaves, English musician (Henry Cow, National Health)
- March 25, 1950 – Chuck Greenberg, American musician (Shadowfax) (d. 1995)
- May 11, 1950 – Jeremy Paxman, British journalist and author
- May 30, 1950 – Dann Glenn, American Guitarist and Composer
- June 3, 1950 – Suzi Quatro, American musician and actress
- July 23, 1950 – Ian Thomas, Canadian singer-songwriter
- August 15, 1950 – Anne, Princess Royal of the United Kingdom
- September 28, 1950 – Laurie Lewis, American musician
- December 2, 1950 – Benjamin Stora, French historian
- December 17, 1950 – Laurence F. Johnson, American educator