Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1950 Historical Event(s)
- January 17, 1950 – The Great Brinks Robbery – 11 thieves steal more than $2 million from an armored car Company’s offices in Boston, Massachusetts.
- February 17, 1950 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Tiger in Chinese astrology.
- April 27, 1950 – Apartheid: In South Africa, the Group Areas Act is passed formally segregating races.
- May 13, 1950 – The first round of the Formula One World Championship is held at Silverstone.
- May 19, 1950 – A barge containing munitions destined for Pakistan explodes in the harbor at South Amboy, New Jersey, devastating the city.
- June 8, 1950 – Sir Thomas Blamey becomes the only Australian-born Field Marshal in Australian history.
- August 20, 1950 – Korean War: United Nations repel an offensive by North Korean divisions attempting to cross the Naktong River and assault the city of Taegu.
- November 5, 1950 – Korean War: British and Australian forces from the 27th British Commonwealth Brigade successfully halted the advancing Chinese 117th Division during the Battle of Pakchon.
- November 21, 1950 – Two Canadian National Railway trains collide in northeastern British Columbia in the Canoe River train crash. Twenty-one people are killed, seventeen of them Canadian troops bound for Korea.
- December 16, 1950 – U.S. President Harry S. Truman declares a state of emergency, after Chinese troops enter the fight with communist North Korea in the Korean War.
Who Were Born On 1950?
- January 9, 1950 – David Johansen, American singer
- January 16, 1950 – Damo Suzuki, Japanese singer (Can)
- May 13, 1950 – Manning Marable, American academic and author (d. 2011)
- June 13, 1950 – Michael Stark, Australian actor
- August 12, 1950 – Jim Beaver, American actor and writer
- October 1, 1950 – Mark Helias, American jazz double bass player and composer
- November 16, 1950 – John Swartzwelder, American television writer and novelist
- December 5, 1950 – Osvaldo Golijov, Argentine-born composer
- December 23, 1950 – Ilchi Lee, Korean educator and author
- December 25, 1950 – Karl Rove, former American presidential advisor