Did you know? It takes as little as 8 hours of one-on-one tutoring to improve a full letter grade, according to a nationwide poll of private tutors. Click here to search for a tutor today! More than 80,000 tutors in 300+ subjects. (Sponsored link; US only)
1950 Historical Event(s)
- February 17, 1950 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Tiger in Chinese astrology.
- May 1, 1950 – Guam is organized as a United States commonwealth.
- May 9, 1950 – Robert Schuman presents his proposal on the creation of an organized Europe, which according to him was indispensable to the maintenance of peaceful relations. This proposal, known as the “Schuman declaration”, is considered by some people to be the beginning of the creation of what is now the European Union.
- July 2, 1950 – The Golden Pavilion at Kinkaku-ji in Kyoto, Japan burns down.
- July 5, 1950 – Korean War: Task Force Smith – First clash between American and North Korean forces in the Battle of Osan.
- July 11, 1950 – Pakistan joins the International Monetary Fund and the International Bank.
- July 24, 1950 – Cape Canaveral Air Force Station begins operations with the launch of a Bumper rocket.
- August 20, 1950 – Korean War: United Nations repel an offensive by North Korean divisions attempting to cross the Naktong River and assault the city of Taegu.
- October 30, 1950 – Pope Pius XII witnesses “The Miracle of the Sun” while at the Vatican.
- November 25, 1950 – The Great Appalachian Storm of November 1950, otherwise known at the time as the “Storm of the Century”, strikes New England with hurricane force winds resulting in massive forest blow-downs and storm surge damage along the Northeast coast including New York City. This storm also brings blizzard conditions to the Appalachian Mountains and Ohio Valley, becoming one of the worst storms of all time. 353 people die in the event.
Who Were Born On 1950?
- January 16, 1950 – Robert Schimmel, American Comedian (d. 2010)
- January 17, 1950 – Luis López Nieves, Latin American writer
- January 19, 1950 – Grant Nordman, Canadian politician
- March 4, 1950 – Barrie Cassidy, veteran Australian political journalist
- March 26, 1950 – Martin Short, Canadian comedian
- May 22, 1950 – Bernie Taupin, English songwriter
- May 28, 1950 – Ian Bradley, British writer and academic
- July 1, 1950 – David Duke, American politician and white supremacist
- July 5, 1950 – Michael Monarch, American guitarist (Steppenwolf)
- November 17, 1950 – Tom Walkinshaw, Scottish race car driver and race team owner (d. 2010)