Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1950 Historical Event(s)
- February 17, 1950 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Tiger in Chinese astrology.
- March 1, 1950 – Cold War: Klaus Fuchs is convicted of spying for the Soviet Union by disclosing top secret atomic bomb data.
- March 16, 1950 – Communist Czechoslovakia’s ministry of foreign affairs asked nuncios of Vatican to leave the country.
- May 19, 1950 – A barge containing munitions destined for Pakistan explodes in the harbor at South Amboy, New Jersey, devastating the city.
- August 24, 1950 – Edith Sampson becomes the first black U.S. delegate to the United Nations.
- August 25, 1950 – President Harry Truman orders the US Army to seize control of the nation’s railroads to avert a strike.
- September 4, 1950 – Darlington Raceway is the site of the inaugural Southern 500, the first 500-mile NASCAR race.
- September 26, 1950 – United Nations troops recapture Seoul from North Korean forces.
- October 30, 1950 – Pope Pius XII witnesses “The Miracle of the Sun” while at the Vatican.
- November 21, 1950 – Two Canadian National Railway trains collide in northeastern British Columbia in the Canoe River train crash. Twenty-one people are killed, seventeen of them Canadian troops bound for Korea.
Who Were Born On 1950?
- January 19, 1950 – Grant Nordman, Canadian politician
- March 9, 1950 – Doug Ault, American baseball player (d. 2004)
- May 20, 1950 – Yvon Lambert, Canadian ice hockey player
- May 30, 1950 – Paresh Rawal, Indian actor
- June 10, 1950 – Elías Sosa, Dominican Major League Baseball pitcher
- August 22, 1950 – Lewis Libby, American White House Chief of Staff for George W. Bush
- September 7, 1950 – Julie Kavner, American actress
- September 14, 1950 – Masami Kuwashima, Japanese race car driver
- September 28, 1950 – John Sayles, American director and screenwriter
- November 11, 1950 – Mircea Dinescu, Romanian poet