Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1950 Historical Event(s)
- January 31, 1950 – President Harry S. Truman announces a program to develop the hydrogen bomb.
- February 17, 1950 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Tiger in Chinese astrology.
- May 29, 1950 – The St. Roch, the first ship to circumnavigate North America, arrives in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
- August 29, 1950 – Korean War: British troops arrive in Korea to bolster the US presence there.
- October 9, 1950 – Goyang Geumjeong Cave Massacre started.
- October 19, 1950 – The People’s Republic of China joins the Korean War by sending thousands of troops across the Yalu river to fight United Nations forces.
- November 1, 1950 – Pope Pius XII claims Papal Infallibility when he formally defines the dogma of the Assumption of Mary.
- November 26, 1950 – Korean War: Troops from the People’s Republic of China launch a massive counterattack in North Korea against South Korean and United Nations forces (Battle of the Ch'ongch'on River and Battle of Chosin Reservoir), ending any hopes of a quick end to the conflict.
- November 29, 1950 – Korean War: North Korean and Chinese troops force United Nations forces to retreat from North Korea.
- December 16, 1950 – U.S. President Harry S. Truman declares a state of emergency, after Chinese troops enter the fight with communist North Korea in the Korean War.
Who Were Born On 1950?
- February 18, 1950 – John Hughes, American film director (d. 2009)
- May 9, 1950 – Tom Petersson, American bass guitarist (Cheap Trick)
- May 14, 1950 – Adolfo Dominguez, Spanish fashion designer
- June 4, 1950 – Dagmar Krause, German singer (Slapp Happy, Henry Cow, Art Bears)
- August 15, 1950 – Tom Kelly, American baseball manager
- September 1, 1950 – Phillip Fulmer, American football coach
- September 28, 1950 – Laurie Lewis, American musician
- September 30, 1950 – Renato Zero, Italian musician
- November 15, 1950 – Egon Vaupel, German politician
- November 30, 1950 – Chris Claremont, British comic book writer