Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1950 Historical Event(s)
- January 26, 1950 – The Constitution of India comes into force, forming a republic. Rajendra Prasad is sworn in as its first President of India. Observed as Republic Day in India.
- February 17, 1950 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Tiger in Chinese astrology.
- March 1, 1950 – Cold War: Klaus Fuchs is convicted of spying for the Soviet Union by disclosing top secret atomic bomb data.
- March 16, 1950 – Communist Czechoslovakia’s ministry of foreign affairs asked nuncios of Vatican to leave the country.
- June 25, 1950 – The Korean War begins with the invasion of South Korea by North Korea.
- June 28, 1950 – Bodo League massacre: Korean War.
- July 16, 1950 – Chaplain-Medic massacre: American POWs were massacred by North Korean Army.
- August 24, 1950 – Edith Sampson becomes the first black U.S. delegate to the United Nations.
- November 24, 1950 – The “Storm of the Century”, a violent snowstorm, takes shape on this date before paralyzing the northeastern United States and the Appalachians the next day, bringing winds up to 100 mph and sub-zero temperatures. Pickens, West Virginia, records 57 inches of snow. 353 people would die as a result of the storm.
- November 25, 1950 – The Great Appalachian Storm of November 1950, otherwise known at the time as the “Storm of the Century”, strikes New England with hurricane force winds resulting in massive forest blow-downs and storm surge damage along the Northeast coast including New York City. This storm also brings blizzard conditions to the Appalachian Mountains and Ohio Valley, becoming one of the worst storms of all time. 353 people die in the event.
Who Were Born On 1950?
- March 6, 1950 – Hirotaka Suzuoki, Japanese Seiyu (d. 2006)
- April 18, 1950 – Paul Callery, football player
- June 4, 1950 – George Noory, American radio personality
- June 28, 1950 – David Lanz, American New Age pianist
- June 30, 1950 – Leonard Whiting, British actor
- September 28, 1950 – John Sayles, American director and screenwriter
- October 6, 1950 – David Brin, American author
- November 3, 1950 – Joe Queenan, American writer
- November 18, 1950 – Dennis Haskins, American actor
- December 28, 1950 – Hugh McDonald, American musician (Bon Jovi)