Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1950 Historical Event(s)
- February 14, 1950 – Chinese Civil War: The National Revolutionary Army instigates the unsuccessful Battle of Tianquan against the People’s Liberation Army.
- February 17, 1950 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Tiger in Chinese astrology.
- March 7, 1950 – Cold War: The Soviet Union issues a statement denying that Klaus Fuchs served as a Soviet spy.
- June 25, 1950 – The Korean War begins with the invasion of South Korea by North Korea.
- June 28, 1950 – Bodo League massacre: Korean War.
- July 11, 1950 – Pakistan joins the International Monetary Fund and the International Bank.
- October 9, 1950 – Goyang Geumjeong Cave Massacre started.
- October 11, 1950 – Television: CBS’s mechanical color system is the first to be licensed for broadcast by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission.
- November 19, 1950 – US General Dwight D. Eisenhower becomes supreme commander of NATO-Europe
- November 25, 1950 – The Great Appalachian Storm of November 1950, otherwise known at the time as the “Storm of the Century”, strikes New England with hurricane force winds resulting in massive forest blow-downs and storm surge damage along the Northeast coast including New York City. This storm also brings blizzard conditions to the Appalachian Mountains and Ohio Valley, becoming one of the worst storms of all time. 353 people die in the event.
Who Were Born On 1950?
- January 18, 1950 – Gilles Villeneuve, Canadian race car driver (d. 1982)
- February 24, 1950 – Steve McCurry, American photojournalist
- March 15, 1950 – Jørgen Olsen, Danish singer
- April 18, 1950 – Kenny Ortega, American film and TV producer and choreographer
- June 22, 1950 – Zenonas Petrauskas, Lithuanian lawyer and politician (d. 2009)
- July 26, 1950 – Susan George, English actress
- September 17, 1950 – Narendra Modi, Indian politician
- October 24, 1950 – Rawly Eastwick, American baseball player
- December 20, 1950 – Arturo Marquez, Mexican composer
- December 27, 1950 – Terry Bozzio, American drummer (Missing Persons)