Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1950 Historical Event(s)
- January 6, 1950 – The United Kingdom recognizes the People’s Republic of China. The Republic of China severs diplomatic relations with the UK in response.
- February 17, 1950 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Tiger in Chinese astrology.
- March 17, 1950 – Researchers at the University of California, Berkeley announce the creation of element 98, which they name “Californium”.
- June 3, 1950 – First successful ascent of an Eight-thousander; Annapurna is summited by Maurice Herzog and Louis Lachenal
- July 20, 1950 – Cold War: In Philadelphia, Harry Gold pleads guilty to spying for the Soviet Union by passing secrets from atomic scientist Klaus Fuchs.
- August 17, 1950 – Hill 303 massacre: American POWs were massacred by North Korean Army.
- August 29, 1950 – Korean War: British troops arrive in Korea to bolster the US presence there.
- October 3, 1950 – Korean War: The First Battle of Maryang San, primarily pitting Australian and British forces against communist China, begins.
- October 19, 1950 – The People’s Liberation Army takes control of the town of Qamdo; this is sometimes called the “Invasion of Tibet”.
- November 26, 1950 – Korean War: Troops from the People’s Republic of China launch a massive counterattack in North Korea against South Korean and United Nations forces (Battle of the Ch'ongch'on River and Battle of Chosin Reservoir), ending any hopes of a quick end to the conflict.
Who Were Born On 1950?
- January 12, 1950 – Ricky Ray Rector, American murderer (d. 1992)
- January 17, 1950 – Luis López Nieves, Latin American writer
- January 19, 1950 – Grant Nordman, Canadian politician
- July 4, 1950 – David Jensen, Canadian-born British radio DJ
- July 17, 1950 – P.J. Soles, German-born American actress
- July 25, 1950 – Mark Clarke (musician), British musician, bass player and singer
- August 2, 1950 – Lance Ito, American judge
- September 5, 1950 – Paul William Roberts, Canadian writer
- September 18, 1950 – Shabana Azmi, Indian actress
- October 12, 1950 – Caroline Ellis, English actress