Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1951 Historical Event(s)
- February 6, 1951 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Rabbit in Chinese astrology.
- April 5, 1951 – Ethel and Julius Rosenberg are sentenced to death for performing espionage for the Soviet Union.
- April 19, 1951 – General Douglas MacArthur retires from the military.
- May 15, 1951 – The Polish cultural attache in Paris, Czesław Miłosz, asks the French government for political asylum.
- May 16, 1951 – The first regularly scheduled transatlantic flights begin between Idlewild Airport (now John F Kennedy International Airport) in New York City and Heathrow Airport in London, operated by El Al Israel Airlines.
- July 16, 1951 – King Léopold III of Belgium abdicates in favor of his son, Baudouin I of Belgium.
- September 1, 1951 – The United States, Australia and New Zealand sign a mutual defense pact, called the ANZUS Treaty.
- October 15, 1951 – Mexican chemist Luis E. Miramontes conducts the very last step of the first synthesis of norethisterone, the progestin that would later be used in one of the first two oral contraceptives.
- December 20, 1951 – The EBR-1 in Arco, Idaho becomes the first nuclear power plant to generate electricity. The electricity powered four light bulbs.
- December 24, 1951 – Libya becomes independent from Italy. Idris I is proclaimed King of Libya.
Who Were Born On 1951?
- January 9, 1951 – M.L. Carr, basketball player and coach
- January 30, 1951 – Bobby Stokes, English former footballer (d. 1995)
- February 20, 1951 – Phil Neal, English footballer
- March 6, 1951 – Gerrie Knetemann, Dutch cyclist (d. 2004)
- May 4, 1951 – Tirso Cruz III, Filipino actor and singer.
- June 9, 1951 – Dave Parker, American baseball player
- June 24, 1951 – David Rodigan, Germany-born British radio DJ and actor
- October 26, 1951 – Tommy Mars, American keyboard player Frank Zappa
- November 2, 1951 – Lindy Morrison, Australian musician (The Go-Betweens)
- November 15, 1951 – Beverly D'Angelo, American actress