Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters GBAHUOMQ? Check your answers here: Word finder GBAHUOMQ. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
1953 Historical Event(s)
- January 19, 1953 – 68% of all television sets in the United States are tuned in to I Love Lucy to watch Lucy give birth.
- February 14, 1953 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Snake in Chinese astrology.
- March 6, 1953 – Georgy Maksimilianovich Malenkov succeeds Joseph Stalin as Premier of the Soviet Union and First Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union.
- April 10, 1953 – Warner Brothers premieres the first 3-D film from a major American studio, entitled House of Wax.
- April 27, 1953 – Operation Moolah is initiated by General Mark W. Clark against Communist pilots.
- May 18, 1953 – Jackie Cochran becomes the first woman to break the sound barrier.
- June 19, 1953 – Julius and Ethel Rosenberg are executed at Sing Sing, in New York.
- July 26, 1953 – Fidel Castro leads an unsuccessful attack on the Moncada Barracks, thus beginning the Cuban Revolution. The movement took the name of the date: 26th of July Movement
- August 12, 1953 – Nuclear weapons testing: the Soviet atomic bomb project continues with the detonation of Joe 4, the first Soviet thermonuclear weapon.
- October 30, 1953 – Cold War: U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower formally approves the top secret document National Security Council Paper No. 162/2, which states that the United States’ arsenal of nuclear weapons must be maintained and expanded to counter the communist threat.
Who Were Born On 1953?
- January 2, 1953 – Vincent Racaniello American virologist
- January 23, 1953 – John Luther Adams, American composer
- February 7, 1953 – Dan Quisenberry, baseball player (d. 1998)
- April 28, 1953 – Roberto Bolaño, Chilean novelist and poet (d. 2003)
- June 22, 1953 – Bruce McAvaney, Australian sports broadcaster
- July 20, 1953 – Dan Shaughnessy, American sports writer
- July 24, 1953 – Claire McCaskill, American politician
- August 19, 1953 – Lynwood Slim, American blues musician
- September 6, 1953 – Anne Lockhart, American actress
- November 16, 1953 – Griff Rhys Jones, Welsh comedian, writer and actor