Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1953 Historical Event(s)
- January 13, 1953 – Marshal Josip Broz Tito is chosen as President of Yugoslavia.
- February 14, 1953 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Snake in Chinese astrology.
- March 2, 1953 – The Academy Awards are first broadcast on television by NBC.
- April 13, 1953 – CIA director Allen Dulles launches the mind-control program MKULTRA.
- April 24, 1953 – Winston Churchill is knighted by Queen Elizabeth II.
- June 8, 1953 – The United States Supreme Court rules that Washington, D.C. restaurants could not refuse to serve black patrons.
- July 26, 1953 – Fidel Castro leads an unsuccessful attack on the Moncada Barracks, thus beginning the Cuban Revolution. The movement took the name of the date: 26th of July Movement
- July 27, 1953 – Fighting in the Korean War ends when the United States, the People’s Republic of China, and North Korea sign an armistice agreement. Syngman Rhee, President of South Korea, refuses to sign but pledges to observe the armistice.
- November 2, 1953 – The Constituent Assembly of Pakistan names the country The Islamic Republic of Pakistan.
- December 8, 1953 – United States President Dwight D. Eisenhower delivers his “Atoms for Peace” speech, and the U.S. launches its “Atoms for Peace” program that supplied equipment and information to schools, hospitals, and research institutions around the world.
Who Were Born On 1953?
- January 23, 1953 – Alister E. McGrath, British theologian and scientist
- January 26, 1953 – Lucinda Williams, American singer
- March 4, 1953 – Chris Smith, American politician
- July 1, 1953 – Lawrence Gonzi, Maltese politician
- July 26, 1953 – Robert Phillips, American classical guitarist
- July 29, 1953 – Ken Burns, American producer and director
- August 20, 1953 – Gerry Bertier, American wheelchair Olympian (d. 1981)
- August 30, 1953 – Ron George, American politician
- September 11, 1953 – Tommy Shaw, American musician and singer
- October 9, 1953 – Tony Shalhoub, American actor