Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1954 Historical Event(s)
- January 7, 1954 – Georgetown-IBM experiment: the first public demonstration of a machine translation system, is held in New York at the head office of IBM.
- February 3, 1954 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Horse in Chinese astrology.
- February 10, 1954 – President Dwight Eisenhower warns against United States intervention in Vietnam.
- February 15, 1954 – Canada and the United States agree to construct the Distant Early Warning Line, a system of radar stations in the far northern Arctic regions of Canada and Alaska.
- March 13, 1954 – Battle of Điện Biên Phủ: Viet Minh forces attack the French.
- June 12, 1954 – Pope Pius XII canonises Dominic Savio, who was 14 years old at the time of his death, as a saint, making him the youngest non-martyr saint in the Roman Catholic Church.
- August 10, 1954 – At Massena, New York, the groundbreaking ceremony for the Saint Lawrence Seaway is held.
- August 15, 1954 – Alfredo Stroessner begins his dictatorship in Paraguay.
- October 31, 1954 – Algerian War of Independence: The Algerian National Liberation Front begins a revolt against French rule.
- November 19, 1954 – Télé Monte Carlo, Europe’s oldest private television channel, is launched by Prince Rainier III.
Who Were Born On 1954?
- January 5, 1954 – László Krasznahorkai, Hungarian writer
- February 21, 1954 – Ivo Van Damme, Belgian athlete (d. 1976)
- April 13, 1954 – Jimmy Destri, American keyboardist
- May 28, 1954 – Youri Egorov, Soviet classical pianist (d. 1988)
- June 9, 1954 – Paul Chapman, Welsh guitarist (UFO, Lone Star)
- June 15, 1954 – James Belushi, American actor
- August 19, 1954 – Oscar Larrauri, Argentine racing driver
- August 29, 1954 – Michael P. Kube-McDowell, American science fiction novelist
- September 6, 1954 – Demetris Kizas, Greek-Cypriot footballer
- October 3, 1954 – Al Sharpton, American Baptist minister