Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters OADFIXKI? Check your answers here: Word scramble OADFIXKI. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
1954 Historical Event(s)
- January 7, 1954 – Georgetown-IBM experiment: the first public demonstration of a machine translation system, is held in New York at the head office of IBM.
- February 3, 1954 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Horse in Chinese astrology.
- February 13, 1954 – Frank Selvy becomes the only NCAA Division I basketball player ever to score 100 points in a single game
- June 9, 1954 – McCarthyism: Joseph Welch, special counsel for the United States Army, lashes out at Senator Joseph McCarthy during hearings on whether Communism has infiltrated the Army giving McCarthy the famous rebuke, “You've done enough. Have you no sense of decency, sir, at long last? Have you left no sense of decency?”
- July 15, 1954 – First flight of the Boeing 367-80, prototype for both the Boeing 707 and C-135 series.
- September 3, 1954 – The German U-Boat U-505 begins its move from a specially constructed dock to its final site at Chicago’s Museum of Science and Industry.
- September 30, 1954 – The U.S. Navy submarine USS Nautilus is commissioned as the world’s first nuclear reactor powered vessel.
- November 30, 1954 – In Sylacauga, Alabama, United States, the Hodges Meteorite crashes through a roof and hits a woman taking an afternoon nap in the only documented case of a human being hit by a rock from space.
- December 2, 1954 – The Sino-American Mutual Defense Treaty, between the United States and the Republic of China, is signed in Washington, D.C.
- December 15, 1954 – The Charter for the Kingdom of the Netherlands is signed.
Who Were Born On 1954?
- February 7, 1954 – Brian Morton, Scottish writer
- February 17, 1954 – Rene Russo, American actress
- February 18, 1954 – John Travolta, American actor
- April 7, 1954 – Jackie Chan, Chinese actor, director, producer, and martial artist
- May 2, 1954 – Stephen Venables, British mountaineer
- June 29, 1954 – Rick Honeycutt, American baseball player
- September 6, 1954 – Patrick O'Hearn, American musician, composer and recording artist
- September 30, 1954 – Barry Williams, American actor
- November 30, 1954 – Lawrence Summers, American economist and government official