Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters UIIAUGQY? Check your answers here: Unscramble words UIIAUGQY. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
1954 Historical Event(s)
- January 1, 1954 – NBC makes the first coast-to-coast NTSC color broadcast when it telecast the Tournament of Roses Parade, with public demonstrations given across the United States on prototype color receivers.
- February 3, 1954 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Horse in Chinese astrology.
- March 1, 1954 – Nuclear testing: The Castle Bravo, a 15-megaton hydrogen bomb, is detonated on Bikini Atoll in the Pacific Ocean, resulting in the worst radioactive contamination ever caused by the United States.
- March 30, 1954 – The Yonge Street subway line opens in Toronto. It is the first subway in Canada.
- April 1, 1954 – President Dwight D. Eisenhower authorizes the creation of the United States Air Force Academy in Colorado.
- May 6, 1954 – Roger Bannister becomes the first person to run the mile in under four minutes.
- July 5, 1954 – The BBC broadcasts its first television news bulletin.
- October 24, 1954 – Dwight D. Eisenhower pledges United States support to South Vietnam
- November 13, 1954 – Great Britain defeats France to capture the first ever Rugby League World Cup in Paris in front of around 30,000 spectators.
- November 19, 1954 – Télé Monte Carlo, Europe’s oldest private television channel, is launched by Prince Rainier III.
Who Were Born On 1954?
- February 12, 1954 – Joseph Jordania, Australian/Georgian evolutionary musicologist
- April 5, 1954 – Peter Case, American musician (The Nerves)
- April 24, 1954 – Captain Sensible, British guitarist (The Damned)
- May 20, 1954 – Guy Hoffman, American musician (Violent Femmes)
- July 26, 1954 – Vitas Gerulaitis, American tennis player (d. 1994)
- August 2, 1954 – Sammy McIlroy, Northern Irish footballer and manager
- November 7, 1954 – Gil Junger, American director
- November 29, 1954 – Steve Rogers, Australian rugby league footballer (d. 2006)
- December 26, 1954 – Steve Steen, English actor
- December 30, 1954 – Barry Greenstein, American poker player