Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1954 Historical Event(s)
- January 1, 1954 – NBC makes the first coast-to-coast NTSC color broadcast when it telecast the Tournament of Roses Parade, with public demonstrations given across the United States on prototype color receivers.
- January 7, 1954 – Georgetown-IBM experiment: the first public demonstration of a machine translation system, is held in New York at the head office of IBM.
- January 10, 1954 – BOAC Flight 781 A de Havilland DH.106 Comet 1 explodes into the Tyrrhenian Sea killing 35 people.
- February 3, 1954 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Horse in Chinese astrology.
- February 28, 1954 – The first color television sets using the NTSC standard are offered for sale to the general public.
- May 7, 1954 – Indochina War: The Battle of Dien Bien Phu ends in a French defeat (the battle began on March 13).
- May 29, 1954 – First of the annual Bilderberg conferences.
- July 31, 1954 – First ascent of K2, by an Italian expedition led by Ardito Desio.
- August 24, 1954 – The Communist Control Act goes into effect. The American Communist Party is outlawed.
- November 10, 1954 – U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower dedicates the USMC War Memorial (Iwo Jima memorial) in Arlington National Cemetery.
Who Were Born On 1954?
- January 20, 1954 – Rudy La Scala, Venezuelan singer-songwriter
- February 27, 1954 – Neal Schon, American musician (Journey)
- May 28, 1954 – John Tory, Canadian politician
- July 27, 1954 – Philippe Alliot, French race car driver
- August 6, 1954 – Paul Steigerwald, American sports announcer
- September 16, 1954 – William McKeen, American author
- November 8, 1954 – Michael D. Brown, U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency director
- November 20, 1954 – Steve Dahl, American radio personality
- November 26, 1954 – Roz Chast, American cartoonist
- December 29, 1954 – Albrecht Böttcher, German mathematician