Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1954 Historical Event(s)
- January 14, 1954 – The Hudson Motor Car Company merges with Nash-Kelvinator Corporation forming the American Motors Corporation.
- February 3, 1954 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Horse in Chinese astrology.
- June 12, 1954 – Pope Pius XII canonises Dominic Savio, who was 14 years old at the time of his death, as a saint, making him the youngest non-martyr saint in the Roman Catholic Church.
- June 15, 1954 – UEFA (Union of European Football Associations) is formed in Basel, Switzerland.
- June 27, 1954 – The 1954 FIFA World Cup quarterfinal match between Hungary and Brazil, highly anticipated to be exciting, instead turns violent, with three players ejected and further fighting continuing after the game.
- July 20, 1954 – Germany: Otto John, head of West Germany’s secret service, defects to East Germany.
- July 31, 1954 – First ascent of K2, by an Italian expedition led by Ardito Desio.
- August 24, 1954 – Getúlio Dornelles Vargas, president of Brazil, commits suicide and is succeeded by João Café Filho.
- September 14, 1954 – In a top secret nuclear test, a Soviet Tu-4 bomber drops a 40 kiloton atomic weapon just north of Totskoye village, exposing some 45,000 soldiers and 10,000 civilians to nuclear fallout.
- December 2, 1954 – The Sino-American Mutual Defense Treaty, between the United States and the Republic of China, is signed in Washington, D.C.
Who Were Born On 1954?
- January 21, 1954 – Idrissa Ouedraogo, Burkinabé filmmaker
- February 2, 1954 – Hansi Hinterseer, Austrian singer and actor
- February 15, 1954 – Matt Groening, American cartoonist
- May 28, 1954 – Andy Hamilton, British comedian
- June 8, 1954 – Marios Tokas, Greek-Cypriot composer (d. 2008)
- July 25, 1954 – Ken Greer, pedal steel guitarist (Red Rider)
- October 10, 1954 – David Lee Roth, American singer (Van Halen)
- October 24, 1954 – Malcolm Turnbull, Australian politician
- November 29, 1954 – Joel Coen, American film director, producer, and writer
- December 7, 1954 – Mike Nolan, Irish singer (Bucks Fizz)