Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1954 Historical Event(s)
- January 7, 1954 – Georgetown-IBM experiment: the first public demonstration of a machine translation system, is held in New York at the head office of IBM.
- January 21, 1954 – The first nuclear-powered submarine, the USS Nautilus, is launched in Groton, Connecticut by Mamie Eisenhower, the First Lady of the United States.
- February 3, 1954 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Horse in Chinese astrology.
- February 13, 1954 – Frank Selvy becomes the only NCAA Division I basketball player ever to score 100 points in a single game
- February 23, 1954 – The first mass inoculation of children against polio with the Salk vaccine begins in Pittsburgh.
- March 1, 1954 – Puerto Rican nationalists attack the United States Capitol building, injuring five Representatives.
- April 18, 1954 – Gamal Abdal Nasser seizes power in Egypt.
- June 9, 1954 – McCarthyism: Joseph Welch, special counsel for the United States Army, lashes out at Senator Joseph McCarthy during hearings on whether Communism has infiltrated the Army giving McCarthy the famous rebuke, “You've done enough. Have you no sense of decency, sir, at long last? Have you left no sense of decency?”
- September 3, 1954 – The German U-Boat U-505 begins its move from a specially constructed dock to its final site at Chicago’s Museum of Science and Industry.
- November 27, 1954 – Alger Hiss is released from prison after serving 44 months for perjury.
Who Were Born On 1954?
- February 2, 1954 – John Tudor, American baseball player
- March 4, 1954 – Catherine O'Hara, Canadian actress
- May 4, 1954 – Robert Michael Snyder, American author and convicted sex offender
- May 11, 1954 – Lubomir Stoykov, Bulgarian journalist and broadcaster
- May 26, 1954 – Danny Rolling, American murderer (d. 2006)
- July 10, 1954 – Neil Tennant, British musician (Pet Shop Boys)
- September 26, 1954 – Kevin Kennedy, American baseball manager
- October 19, 1954 – Sam Allardyce, English football manager
- November 9, 1954 – Dennis Stratton, British musician, (Iron Maiden, Praying Mantis)
- November 14, 1954 – Yanni, Greek musician & composer