Did you know? It takes as little as 8 hours of one-on-one tutoring to improve a full letter grade, according to a nationwide poll of private tutors. Click here to search for a tutor today! More than 80,000 tutors in 300+ subjects. (Sponsored link; US only)
1955 Historical Event(s)
- January 24, 1955 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Sheep in Chinese astrology.
- January 25, 1955 – The Soviet Union ends state of war with Germany.
- April 3, 1955 – The American Civil Liberties Union announces it will defend Allen Ginsberg’s book Howl against obscenity charges.
- April 5, 1955 – Winston Churchill resigns as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom amid indications of failing health.
- April 23, 1955 – The Canadian Labour Congress is formed by the merger of the Trades and Labour Congress of Canada and the Canadian Congress of Labour.
- May 12, 1955 – Nineteen days after bus workers went on strike in Singapore, rioting breaks out and seriously impacts Singapore’s bid for independence.
- May 14, 1955 – Cold War: Eight communist bloc countries, including the Soviet Union, sign a mutual defense treaty called the Warsaw Pact.
- June 14, 1955 – Chile becomes a signatory to the Buenos Aires copyright treaty.
- December 14, 1955 – Albania, Austria, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Jordan, Laos, Libya, Nepal, Portugal, Romania, Spain and Sri Lanka join the United Nations.
- December 24, 1955 – NORAD Tracks Santa for the first time in what will become an annual Christmas Eve tradition.
Who Were Born On 1955?
- January 30, 1955 – Curtis Strange, American golfer
- March 2, 1955 – Ken Salazar, American politician, United States Senator from Colorado, 50th United States Secretary of the Interior
- March 13, 1955 – Glenne Headly, American actress
- April 1, 1955 – Humayun Akhtar Khan, Pakistani statesman
- May 7, 1955 – Peter Reckell, American actor
- May 16, 1955 – Hazel O'Connor, English singer
- August 11, 1955 – Sylvia Hermon, British politician
- August 24, 1955 – Mike Huckabee, American politician, Governor/Presidential candidate
- September 21, 1955 – François Cluzet, French actor
- October 25, 1955 – Matthias Jabs, German guitarist (Scorpions)