Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters OURSUXTISQRA? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters OURSUXTISQRA. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
1955 Historical Event(s)
- January 24, 1955 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Sheep in Chinese astrology.
- April 15, 1955 – McDonald’s restaurant dates its founding to the opening of a franchised restaurant by Ray Kroc, in Des Plaines, Illinois
- April 19, 1955 – The German automaker Volkswagen, after six years of selling cars in the United States, founds Volkswagen of America in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey to standardize its dealer and service network.
- May 12, 1955 – Nineteen days after bus workers went on strike in Singapore, rioting breaks out and seriously impacts Singapore’s bid for independence.
- May 18, 1955 – Operation Passage to Freedom, the evacuation of 310,000 Vietnamese civilians, soldiers and non-Vietnamese members of the French Army from communist North Vietnam to South Vietnam following the end of the First Indochina War, ends.
- July 27, 1955 – The Allied occupation of Austria stemming from World War II, ends.
- October 3, 1955 – The Mickey Mouse Club debuts on ABC.
- November 4, 1955 – After being destroyed in World War II, the rebuilt Vienna State Opera reopens with a performance of Beethoven’s Fidelio.
- December 5, 1955 – The American Federation of Labor and the Congress of Industrial Organizations merge and form the AFL-CIO.
- December 14, 1955 – Albania, Austria, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Jordan, Laos, Libya, Nepal, Portugal, Romania, Spain and Sri Lanka join the United Nations.
Who Were Born On 1955?
- January 26, 1955 – Eddie Van Halen, Dutch-American musician (Van Halen)
- January 30, 1955 – Mychal Thompson, Bahamian basketball player
- February 22, 1955 – Gordon Banks, American guitarist
- March 3, 1955 – Darnell Williams, British actor
- March 5, 1955 – Julien Dray, French politician
- March 13, 1955 – Glenne Headly, American actress
- March 22, 1955 – Pete Sessions, American politician
- June 7, 1955 – Tim Richmond, American race car driver (d. 1989)
- August 19, 1955 – Ned Yost, American baseball player and manager
- December 16, 1955 – Xander Berkeley, American actor