Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1956 Historical Event(s)
- February 12, 1956 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Monkey in Chinese astrology.
- March 2, 1956 – Morocco gains its independence from France.
- March 23, 1956 – Pakistan becomes the first Islamic republic in the world. (Republic Day in Pakistan)
- July 16, 1956 – Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus closes its very last “Big Tent” show in Pittsburgh, due to changing economics all subsequent circus shows will be held in arenas.
- July 31, 1956 – Jim Laker becomes the first man to take all 10 wickets in a Test match innings as he returns figures of 10/53 in the Australian 2nd innings. This combined with his 9/37 in the first innings gave him match figures of 19/90 in the 4th Test at Old Trafford.
- October 17, 1956 – The first commercial nuclear power station is officially opened by Queen Elizabeth II in Sellafield,in Cumbria, England.
- October 23, 1956 – Thousands of Hungarians protest against the government and Soviet occupation. (The Hungarian Revolution is crushed on November 4).
- October 29, 1956 – The Tangier Protocol is signed: The international city Tangier is reintegrated into Morocco.
- December 18, 1956 – Japan joins the United Nations.
- December 19, 1956 – Irish-born physician John Bodkin Adams is arrested in connection with the suspicious deaths of more than 160 patients. Eventually he is convicted only of minor charges.
Who Were Born On 1956?
- January 3, 1956 – Mel Gibson, American-Australian actor and director
- June 4, 1956 – John Hockenberry, American journalist
- June 7, 1956 – Antonio Reid, American music producer
- June 14, 1956 – King Diamond, Danish singer (King Diamond, Mercyful Fate)
- August 10, 1956 – Fred Ottman, American wrestler
- September 6, 1956 – Bill Ritter, American politician
- September 19, 1956 – Charlie Reliford, American baseball umpire
- October 27, 1956 – Jaq D. Hawkins, British author, occultist and lecturer
- November 3, 1956 – Gary Ross, American film director
- December 19, 1956 – Tom Lawless, American baseball player