Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1956 Historical Event(s)
- January 8, 1956 – Operation Auca: Five U.S. missionaries are killed by the Huaorani of Ecuador shortly after making contact with them.
- February 12, 1956 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Monkey in Chinese astrology.
- April 14, 1956 – In Chicago, Illinois, videotape is first demonstrated.
- June 5, 1956 – Elvis Presley introduces his new single, “Hound Dog”, on The Milton Berle Show, scandalizing the audience with his suggestive hip movements.
- June 28, 1956 – in Poznań, workers from HCP factory went to the streets, sparking one of the first major protests against communist government both in Poland and Europe.
- July 30, 1956 – A joint resolution of the U.S. Congress is signed by President Dwight D. Eisenhower, authorizing In God We Trust as the U.S. national motto.
- August 30, 1956 – The Lake Pontchartrain Causeway opens.
- September 27, 1956 – USAF Captain Milburn G. Apt becomes the first man to exceed Mach 3 while flying the Bell X-2. Shortly thereafter, the craft goes out of control and Captain Apt is killed.
- October 17, 1956 – The first commercial nuclear power station is officially opened by Queen Elizabeth II in Sellafield,in Cumbria, England.
- December 9, 1956 – Trans-Canada Air Lines Flight 810, a Canadair North Star, crashes near Hope, British Columbia, Canada, killing all 62 people on board.
Who Were Born On 1956?
- January 1, 1956 – Kōji Yakusho, Japanese actor
- January 22, 1956 – Steve Riley, American drummer
- February 26, 1956 – Kevin Dunn, American actor
- May 23, 1956 – Mark Shaw, New Zealand rugby footballer
- June 22, 1956 – Alfons De Wolf, Belgian cyclist
- July 9, 1956 – Tom Hanks, American actor
- July 26, 1956 – Tommy Rich, American professional wrestler
- July 30, 1956 – Anita Hill, American academic, witness at the sexual harassment trial against Clarence Thomas
- November 7, 1956 – Jonathan Palmer, British Formula One racer
- November 15, 1956 – Brian Douglas Wells, American criminal (d. 2003)