Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1956 Historical Event(s)
- January 8, 1956 – Operation Auca: Five U.S. missionaries are killed by the Huaorani of Ecuador shortly after making contact with them.
- January 28, 1956 – Elvis Presley made his first US TV appearance
- February 12, 1956 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Monkey in Chinese astrology.
- February 29, 1956 – U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower announces to the nation that he is running for a second term.
- April 26, 1956 – First container ship left Port Newark, New Jersey for Houston, Texas.
- April 30, 1956 – Former Vice President and Senator Alben Barkley dies during a speech in Virginia. He collapses after proclaiming “I would rather be a servant in the house of the lord than sit in the seats of the mighty.”
- May 1, 1956 – The polio vaccine developed by Jonas Salk is made available to the public.
- July 25, 1956 – 45 miles south of Nantucket Island, the Italian ocean liner SS Andrea Doria collides with the MS Stockholm in heavy fog and sinks the next day, killing 51.
- December 2, 1956 – The Granma yacht reaches the shores of Cuba’s Oriente province and Fidel Castro, Che Guevara and 80 other members of the 26th of July Movement disembark to initiate the Cuban Revolution.
- December 6, 1956 – A violent water polo match between Hungary and the USSR takes place during the 1956 Summer Olympics in Melbourne, against the backdrop of the 1956 Hungarian Revolution.
Who Were Born On 1956?
- January 5, 1956 – Chen Kenichi, Japanese-born chef
- March 13, 1956 – Jamie Dimon, American Banking executive
- April 12, 1956 – Herbert Grönemeyer, German singer
- May 13, 1956 – Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, Indian spiritual figure
- May 23, 1956 – Albert Voorn, Dutch equestrian
- June 3, 1956 – Brad Nessler, American sports broadcaster
- August 12, 1956 – Sidath Wettimuny, Sri Lankan cricketer
- October 10, 1956 – Amanda Burton, Northern Irish actress
- November 10, 1956 – Sinbad, American actor
- November 26, 1956 – Dale Jarrett, American race car driver