Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1956 Historical Event(s)
- February 12, 1956 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Monkey in Chinese astrology.
- February 25, 1956 – In his speech On the Personality Cult and its Consequences Nikita Khrushchev, leader of the Soviet Union denounces the cult of personality of Joseph Stalin.
- April 2, 1956 – As the World Turns and The Edge of Night premiere on CBS-TV. The two soaps become the first daytime dramas to debut in the 30-minute format.
- May 20, 1956 – In Operation Redwing (shot Cherokee), the first United States airborne hydrogen bomb is dropped over Bikini Atoll in the Pacific Ocean;
- July 16, 1956 – Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus closes its very last “Big Tent” show in Pittsburgh, due to changing economics all subsequent circus shows will be held in arenas.
- September 9, 1956 – Elvis Presley appears on The Ed Sullivan Show for the first time.
- September 27, 1956 – USAF Captain Milburn G. Apt becomes the first man to exceed Mach 3 while flying the Bell X-2. Shortly thereafter, the craft goes out of control and Captain Apt is killed.
- October 21, 1956 – Kenyan rebel leader Dedan Kimathi is captured by the British Army, signalling the ultimate defeat of the Mau Mau Uprising, and essentially ending the British military campaign.
- November 1, 1956 – The Indian states Kerala, Andhra Pradesh, and Mysore state are formally created under the States Reorganisation Act.
- December 18, 1956 – Japan joins the United Nations.
Who Were Born On 1956?
- February 29, 1956 – Jonathan Coleman, Anglo-Australian entertainer
- March 26, 1956 – Charly McClain, American singer
- April 25, 1956 – Jaroslava Schallerová, Czech actress
- June 5, 1956 – Richard Butler, English singer (The Psychedelic Furs)
- July 11, 1956 – Sela Ward, American actress
- July 13, 1956 – Claude Giroux, Canadian midget wrestler
- September 17, 1956 – Brian Andreas, American writer, sculptor, painter and publisher
- September 20, 1956 – Gary Cole, American actor
- September 25, 1956 – Jamie Hyneman, American visual effects technician
- December 13, 1956 – Phil Hubbard, American basketball player