Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1956 Historical Event(s)
- February 12, 1956 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Monkey in Chinese astrology.
- February 25, 1956 – In his speech On the Personality Cult and its Consequences Nikita Khrushchev, leader of the Soviet Union denounces the cult of personality of Joseph Stalin.
- April 3, 1956 – Hudsonville-Standale Tornado: The western half of the Lower Peninsula of Michigan is struck by a deadly F5 tornado.
- April 26, 1956 – First container ship left Port Newark, New Jersey for Houston, Texas.
- June 30, 1956 – A TWA Super Constellation and a United Airlines DC-7 (Flight 718) collide above the Grand Canyon in Arizona, United States, killing all 128 on board the two planes.
- July 16, 1956 – Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus closes its very last “Big Tent” show in Pittsburgh, due to changing economics all subsequent circus shows will be held in arenas.
- July 31, 1956 – Jim Laker becomes the first man to take all 10 wickets in a Test match innings as he returns figures of 10/53 in the Australian 2nd innings. This combined with his 9/37 in the first innings gave him match figures of 19/90 in the 4th Test at Old Trafford.
- October 8, 1956 – New York Yankees’s Don Larsen pitched the only perfect game in a World Series; one of only 20 perfect games in MLB history.
- October 31, 1956 – Suez Crisis: The United Kingdom and France begin bombing Egypt to force the reopening of the Suez Canal.
- November 12, 1956 – Morocco, Sudan and Tunisia join the United Nations.
Who Were Born On 1956?
- January 1, 1956 – Ziad Rahbani, Lebanese composer
- January 17, 1956 – Paul Young, English musician
- April 8, 1956 – Jim Piddock, English actor, writer and producer
- May 17, 1956 – Sugar Ray Leonard, American boxer
- July 13, 1956 – Claude Giroux, Canadian midget wrestler
- October 8, 1956 – Stephanie Zimbalist, American actress
- October 11, 1956 – Nicanor Duarte Frutos, former President of Paraguay, Senator for life
- October 19, 1956 – Carlo Urbani, Italian physician (d. 1993)
- November 25, 1956 – Hélène Goudin, Swedish politician
- December 11, 1956 – Andrew Lansley, British politician