Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1956 Historical Event(s)
- January 8, 1956 – Operation Auca: Five U.S. missionaries are killed by the Huaorani of Ecuador shortly after making contact with them.
- January 28, 1956 – Elvis Presley made his first US TV appearance
- February 12, 1956 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Monkey in Chinese astrology.
- February 29, 1956 – U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower announces to the nation that he is running for a second term.
- May 1, 1956 – A doctor in Japan reports an “epidemic of an unknown disease of the central nervous system”, marking the official discovery of Minamata disease.
- June 30, 1956 – A TWA Super Constellation and a United Airlines DC-7 (Flight 718) collide above the Grand Canyon in Arizona, United States, killing all 128 on board the two planes.
- October 8, 1956 – New York Yankees’s Don Larsen pitched the only perfect game in a World Series; one of only 20 perfect games in MLB history.
- October 15, 1956 – Fortran, the first modern computer language, is shared with the coding community for the first time.
- October 17, 1956 – The first commercial nuclear power station is officially opened by Queen Elizabeth II in Sellafield,in Cumbria, England.
- December 9, 1956 – Trans-Canada Air Lines Flight 810, a Canadair North Star, crashes near Hope, British Columbia, Canada, killing all 62 people on board.
Who Were Born On 1956?
- March 5, 1956 – Marco Paolini, Italian stage actor and author
- March 9, 1956 – David Willetts, UK Minister of State for Universities and Science (Conservative)
- May 10, 1956 – Jonathan Roberts, American writer played Mufasa from Lion King.
- May 12, 1956 – Bernie Federko, Canadian ice hockey player
- July 18, 1956 – Razor Shines, American baseball player, manager and coach
- July 20, 1956 – Paul Cook, English musician (The Sex Pistols)
- July 27, 1956 – Carol Leifer, American actress
- November 15, 1956 – Michael Hampton, American guitarist (Funkadelic)
- November 26, 1956 – Dale Jarrett, American race car driver
- November 29, 1956 – Hinton Battle, American dancer