Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1957 Historical Event(s)
- January 31, 1957 – Eight people on the ground in Pacoima, California are killed following the mid-air collision between a Douglas DC-7 airliner and a Northrop F-89 Scorpion fighter jet.
- February 18, 1957 – Walter James Bolton becomes the last person legally executed in New Zealand.
- February 22, 1957 – Ngo Dinh Diem of South Vietnam survives a communist shooting assassination attempt in Ban Me Thuot.
- March 4, 1957 – The S&P 500 stock market index is introduced, replacing the S&P 90.
- March 9, 1957 – A magnitude 8.3 earthquake in the Andreanof Islands, Alaska triggers a Pacific-wide tsunami causing extensive damage to Hawaii and Oahu.
- March 31, 1957 – Elections to the Territorial Assembly of the French colony Upper Volta are held. After the elections PDU and MDV form a government.
- July 6, 1957 – Althea Gibson wins the Wimbledon championships, becoming the first black athlete to do so.
- July 28, 1957 – Heavy rain and a mudslide in Isahaya, western Kyūshū, Japan, kill 992.
- November 17, 1957 – Vickers Viscount G-AOHP of British European Airways crashes at Ballerup after the failure of three engines on approach to Copenhagen Airport. The cause is a malfunction of the anti-icing system on the aircraft.
Who Were Born On 1957?
- March 20, 1957 – Vanessa Bell Calloway, American actress
- May 13, 1957 – Koji Suzuki, Japanese writer
- June 4, 1957 – John Treacy, Irish athlete
- June 21, 1957 – Lucien DeBlois, Canadian professional ice hockey player
- July 4, 1957 – Rein Lang, Estonian politician and diplomat
- August 18, 1957 – Denis Leary, American comedian and actor
- August 19, 1957 – Li-Young Lee, Indonesia-born American poet
- September 20, 1957 – Alannah Currie, New Zealander musician (Thompson Twins)
- November 20, 1957 – John Eriksen, Danish footballer (d. 2002)
- December 13, 1957 – Morris Day, American singer (The Time)