Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters WLTNKAEXUPE? Check your answers here: Word scramble WLTNKAEXUPE. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
1957 Historical Event(s)
- January 22, 1957 – Israel withdraws from the Sinai Peninsula.
- January 31, 1957 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Fire Rooster in Chinese astrology.
- March 6, 1957 – Ghana becomes the first Sub-Saharan country to gain Independence from the British
- March 9, 1957 – A magnitude 8.3 earthquake in the Andreanof Islands, Alaska triggers a Pacific-wide tsunami causing extensive damage to Hawaii and Oahu.
- March 25, 1957 – United States Customs seizes copies of Allen Ginsberg’s poem “Howl” on the grounds of obscenity.
- April 5, 1957 – In India, Communists win the first elections in united Kerala and E.M.S. Namboodiripad is sworn in as the first chief minister.
- July 28, 1957 – Heavy rain and a mudslide in Isahaya, western Kyūshū, Japan, kill 992.
- July 29, 1957 – The International Atomic Energy Agency is established.
- September 2, 1957 – President Ngo Dinh Diem of South Vietnam becomes the first foreign head of state to make a state visit to Australia.
- November 17, 1957 – Vickers Viscount G-AOHP of British European Airways crashes at Ballerup after the failure of three engines on approach to Copenhagen Airport. The cause is a malfunction of the anti-icing system on the aircraft.
Who Were Born On 1957?
- March 10, 1957 – Osama bin Laden, Saudi Islamist and leader of al-Qaeda (d. 2011)
- March 23, 1957 – Amanda Plummer, American actress
- May 17, 1957 – Pascual Pérez, Dominican baseball player
- May 25, 1957 – Edward Lee, American writer
- May 28, 1957 – Kirk Gibson, American baseball player
- July 9, 1957 – Kelly McGillis, American actress
- July 25, 1957 – Steve Podborski, Canadian downhill ski racer
- August 2, 1957 – Farhat Basir Khan, Indian Photography and Media Activist Academician, a critically acclaimed Media Professional.
- September 11, 1957 – Brad Bird, American director and animator
- December 4, 1957 – Eric S. Raymond, American open source advocate