Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1959 Historical Event(s)
- February 8, 1959 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Pig in Chinese astrology.
- February 20, 1959 – The Avro Arrow program to design and manufacture supersonic jet fighters in Canada is cancelled by the Diefenbaker government amid much political debate.
- March 9, 1959 – The Barbie doll makes its debut at the American International Toy Fair in New York.
- July 1, 1959 – The Party of the African Federation holds its constitutive conference.
- July 24, 1959 – At the opening of the American National Exhibition in Moscow, U.S. Vice President Richard Nixon and Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev have a “Kitchen Debate”.
- September 14, 1959 – The Soviet probe Luna 2 crashes onto the Moon, becoming the first man-made object to reach it.
- September 16, 1959 – The first successful photocopier, the Xerox 914, is introduced in a demonstration on live television from New York City.
- September 19, 1959 – Nikita Khrushchev is barred from visiting Disneyland due to security concerns.
- September 25, 1959 – Solomon Bandaranaike, Prime Minister of Sri Lanka is mortally wounded by a Buddhist monk, Talduwe Somarama, and dies the next day.
- October 31, 1959 – Lee Harvey Oswald attempts to renounce his American citizenship at the US Embassy in Moscow, USSR.
Who Were Born On 1959?
- January 14, 1959 – Geoff Tate, American musician (Queensrÿche)
- April 21, 1959 – Robert Smith, British musician (The Cure)
- May 2, 1959 – Tony Wakeford, English musician (Sol Invictus)
- June 16, 1959 – The Ultimate Warrior, American professional wrestler
- August 3, 1959 – Koichi Tanaka, Japanese engineer and chemist, Nobel laureate
- September 6, 1959 – Bill Root, Canadian ice hockey defenceman
- September 22, 1959 – Tai Babilonia, American figure skater
- October 16, 1959 – Marc Collins-Rector, American businessman and sex offender
- November 22, 1959 – Eddie Frierson, American voice actor and stage actor
- December 25, 1959 – Michael P. Anderson, astronaut (d. 2003)