Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1959 Historical Event(s)
- January 22, 1959 – Knox Mine Disaster: Water breaches the River Slope Mine near Pittston City, Pennsylvania in Port Griffith; 12 miners are killed.
- January 30, 1959 – ship MS, said to be the safest ship afloat and “unsinkable” like the RMS Titanic, struck an iceberg on her maiden voyage and sank, killing all 95 aboard.
- February 8, 1959 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Pig in Chinese astrology.
- April 10, 1959 – Akihito, future Emperor of Japan, weds Michiko.
- May 4, 1959 – The 1st Grammy Awards are held.
- May 30, 1959 – The Auckland Harbour Bridge, crossing the Waitemata Harbour in Auckland, New Zealand, is officially opened by Governor-General Lord Cobham.
- June 14, 1959 – Disneyland Monorail System, the first daily operating monorail system in the Western Hemisphere, opens to the public in Anaheim, California.
- July 21, 1959 – Elijah Jerry “Pumpsie” Green becomes the first African-American to play for the Boston Red Sox, the last team to integrate. He came in as a pinch runner for Vic Wertz and stayed in as shortstop in a 2-1 loss to the Chicago White Sox.
- November 19, 1959 – The Ford Motor Company announces the discontinuation of the unpopular Edsel.
- December 29, 1959 – Physicist Richard Feynman gives a speech entitled “There’s Plenty of Room at the Bottom”, which is regarded as the birth of nanotechnology.
Who Were Born On 1959?
- April 25, 1959 – Tony Phillips, American baseball player
- May 29, 1959 – Adrian Paul, English actor
- June 22, 1959 – Ed Viesturs, American mountaineer
- July 12, 1959 – David Brown, Australian weatherman
- July 26, 1959 – Rick Bragg, American writer
- July 27, 1959 – Yiannos Papantoniou, Greek politician
- August 13, 1959 – Danny Bonaduce, American actor
- August 24, 1959 – Adrian Kuiper, former South African cricketer
- September 10, 1959 – Peter Nelson, American actor
- November 29, 1959 – Rahm Emanuel, American politician