Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1959 Historical Event(s)
- January 4, 1959 – Luna 1 becomes the first spacecraft to reach the vicinity of the Moon.
- February 8, 1959 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Earth Pig in Chinese astrology.
- March 24, 1959 – The Party of the African Federation is launched by Léopold Sédar Senghor and Modibo Keita.
- April 10, 1959 – Akihito, future Emperor of Japan, weds Michiko.
- June 9, 1959 – The USS George Washington is launched. It is the first submarine to carry ballistic missiles.
- August 17, 1959 – Kind of Blue by Miles Davis, the much acclaimed and highly influential best selling jazz recording of all time, is released.
- September 14, 1959 – The Soviet probe Luna 2 crashes onto the Moon, becoming the first man-made object to reach it.
- October 7, 1959 – U.S.S.R. probe Luna 3 transmits the first ever photographs of the far side of the Moon.
- November 1, 1959 – In Rwanda, Hutu politician Dominique Mbonyumutwa is beaten up by Tutsi forces, leading to a period of violence known as the wind of destruction.
- December 29, 1959 – Physicist Richard Feynman gives a speech entitled “There’s Plenty of Room at the Bottom”, which is regarded as the birth of nanotechnology.
Who Were Born On 1959?
- January 19, 1959 – Jeff Pilson, American bass guitarist
- March 5, 1959 – Vazgen Sargsyan, Armenian politician and 7th Prime Minister of Armenia (d. 1999)
- March 20, 1959 – Dave Beasant, English football goalkeeper
- April 10, 1959 – Yvan Loubier, Canadian politician
- July 7, 1959 – Jessica Hahn, American model
- July 8, 1959 – Robert Knepper, American actor
- September 20, 1959 – Joanna Domańska, Polish classical pianist and music teacher
- October 21, 1959 – Andy Picheta, English film director
- November 7, 1959 – Alexandre Guimarães, Costa Rican football manager
- November 29, 1959 – Rahm Emanuel, American politician