Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1960 Historical Event(s)
- January 14, 1960 – The Reserve Bank of Australia, the country’s central bank and banknote issuing authority, is established.
- January 28, 1960 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Rat in Chinese astrology.
- February 3, 1960 – British Prime Minister Harold Macmillan speaks of the “a wind of change” of increasing national consciousness blowing through colonial Africa, signalling that his Government is likely to support decolonisation.
- February 29, 1960 – An earthquake in Morocco kills over 3,000 people and nearly destroys Agadir in the southern part of the country.
- March 17, 1960 – U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower signs the National Security Council directive on the anti-Cuban covert action program that will ultimately lead to the Bay of Pigs Invasion.
- July 4, 1960 – Due to the post-Independence Day admission of Hawaii as the 50th U.S. state on August 21, 1959, the 50-star flag of the United States debuts in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania almost ten and a half months later (see Flag Act).
- July 8, 1960 – Francis Gary Powers is charged with espionage resulting from his flight over the Soviet Union.
- October 12, 1960 – Cold War: Nikita Khrushchev pounds his shoe on a desk at United Nations General Assembly meeting to protest a Philippine assertion of Soviet Union colonial policy being conducted in Eastern Europe
- October 24, 1960 – Nedelin catastrophe: An R-16 ballistic missile explodes on the launch pad at the Soviet Union’s Baikonur Cosmodrome space facility, killing over 100. Among the dead is Field Marshal Mitrofan Nedelin, whose death is reported to have occurred in a plane crash
Who Were Born On 1960?
- February 3, 1960 – Kerry Von Erich, American professional wrestler (d. 1993)
- February 8, 1960 – Benigno Aquino III, Philippine President
- April 6, 1960 – Warren Haynes, American guitarist and song writer
- April 11, 1960 – Jeremy Clarkson, British journalist and television presenter
- April 26, 1960 – Roger Taylor, British musician (Duran Duran)
- June 4, 1960 – Miloš Đelmaš, Serbian footballer
- June 6, 1960 – Lola Forner, Spanish actress
- June 20, 1960 – John Taylor, English musician (Duran Duran)
- August 2, 1960 – Linda Fratianne, American figure skater
- August 26, 1960 – Nancy Martinez, Canadian-born singer