Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1960 Historical Event(s)
- January 28, 1960 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Rat in Chinese astrology.
- February 13, 1960 – Black college students stage the first of the Nashville sit-ins at three lunch counters in Nashville, Tennessee.
- April 4, 1960 – France agrees to grant independence to the Mali Federation, a union of Senegal and French Sudan.
- May 7, 1960 – Cold War: U-2 Crisis of 1960 – Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev announces that his nation is holding American U-2 pilot Gary Powers.
- August 12, 1960 – Echo 1A, NASA’s first successful communications satellite, is launched.
- August 15, 1960 – Republic of the Congo (Brazzaville) becomes independent from France.
- August 16, 1960 – Cyprus gains its independence from the United Kingdom.
- September 18, 1960 – Fidel Castro arrives in New York City as the head of the Cuban delegation to the United Nations.
- September 22, 1960 – The Sudanese Republic is renamed Mali after the withdrawal of Senegal from the Mali Federation.
- November 9, 1960 – Robert McNamara is named president of Ford Motor Co., the first non-Ford to serve in that post. A month later, he quit to join the newly-elected John F. Kennedy administration.
Who Were Born On 1960?
- March 4, 1960 – Christina Sussiek, former German athlete
- March 7, 1960 – Joe Carter, American baseball player
- April 19, 1960 – John Schweitz, American basketball player and coach
- June 18, 1960 – Steve Murphy, Canadian news anchor
- September 2, 1960 – Eric Dickerson, American football player
- September 28, 1960 – Jennifer Rush, American pop singer
- October 29, 1960 – Thorsten Schlumberger, German footballer
- October 30, 1960 – Diego Maradona, Argentine footballer
- December 22, 1960 – Wakin Chau, Chinese singer
- December 28, 1960 – James Caan, British-Pakistani entrepreneur