Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1960 Historical Event(s)
- January 9, 1960 – President of Egypt Gamal Abdel Nasser opens construction on the Aswan Dam by detonating ten tons of dynamite to demolish twenty tons of granite on the east bank of the Nile.
- January 28, 1960 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Rat in Chinese astrology.
- January 30, 1960 – The African National Party is founded in Chad, through the merger of traditionalist parties.
- March 5, 1960 – Alister Hardy publicly announces his idea that ape-human divergence may have been due to a coastal phase, giving rise to the Aquatic Ape Hypothesis.
- June 26, 1960 – The former British Protectorate of British Somaliland gains its independence as Somaliland.
- September 18, 1960 – Fidel Castro arrives in New York City as the head of the Cuban delegation to the United Nations.
- October 12, 1960 – Cold War: Nikita Khrushchev pounds his shoe on a desk at United Nations General Assembly meeting to protest a Philippine assertion of Soviet Union colonial policy being conducted in Eastern Europe
- November 1, 1960 – While campaigning for President of the United States, John F. Kennedy announces his idea of the Peace Corps.
- November 28, 1960 – Mauritania becomes independent of France.
- December 31, 1960 – The farthing coin ceases to be legal tender in the United Kingdom.
Who Were Born On 1960?
- January 5, 1960 – Steve Jones, British aviator (Red Bull Air Race World Series)
- March 18, 1960 – Guy Carbonneau, Canadian ice hockey player and coach
- July 23, 1960 – Al Perez, American professional wrestler
- September 8, 1960 – Aguri Suzuki, Japanese racing driver
- September 20, 1960 – Dave Hemingway, British musician, songwriter, and vocalist
- October 31, 1960 – Arnaud Desplechin, French film director
- November 12, 1960 – Ismo Alanko, Finnish musician (Hassisen Kone, Sielun Veljet, Ismo Alanko Säätiö)
- December 4, 1960 – David Green, American baseball player
- December 10, 1960 – Kenneth Branagh, Northern Irish actor and director
- December 19, 1960 – Mike Lookinland, American actor