Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1960 Historical Event(s)
- January 21, 1960 – Little Joe 1B, a Mercury spacecraft, lifts off from Wallops Island, Virginia with Miss Sam, a female rhesus monkey on board.
- January 28, 1960 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Rat in Chinese astrology.
- May 9, 1960 – The Food and Drug Administration announces it will approve birth control as an additional indication for Searle’s Enovid, making Enovid the world’s first approved oral contraceptive pill.
- May 10, 1960 – The nuclear submarine USS Triton completes Operation Sandblast, the first underwater circumnavigation of the earth.
- May 11, 1960 – In Buenos Aires, Argentina, four Israeli Mossad agents capture fugitive Nazi Adolf Eichmann who is living under the alias of Ricardo Klement.
- May 13, 1960 – Hundreds of University of California, Berkeley students congregate for the first day of protest against a visit by the House Committee on Un-American Activities. Thirty-one students are arrested, and the Free Speech Movement is born.
- June 17, 1960 – The Nez Perce tribe is awarded $4 million for 7 e6acre of land undervalued at 4 cents/acre in the 1863 treaty.
- August 1, 1960 – Dahomey (later renamed Benin) declares independence from France.
- August 6, 1960 – Cuban Revolution: Cuba nationalizes American and foreign-owned property in the nation.
- September 28, 1960 – Mali and Senegal join the United Nations.
Who Were Born On 1960?
- January 23, 1960 – Patrick de Gayardon, French skydiver and skysurfing pioneer (d. 1998)
- February 19, 1960 – Prince Andrew, Duke of York
- March 4, 1960 – Christina Sussiek, former German athlete
- April 8, 1960 – John Schneider, American actor
- May 29, 1960 – Neil Crone, Canadian actor
- July 14, 1960 – Jane Lynch, American actress, comedian and singer
- July 21, 1960 – Lance Guest, American actor
- September 8, 1960 – David Steele, English musician
- September 17, 1960 – John Franco, American baseball player
- December 26, 1960 – Jim Toomey, American syndicated cartoonist