Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
1961 Historical Event(s)
- January 24, 1961 – 1961 Goldsboro B-52 crash: A bomber carrying two H-bombs breaks up in mid-air over North Carolina. The uranium core of one weapon remains lost.
- February 15, 1961 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Metal Ox in Chinese astrology.
- April 18, 1961 – CONCP is founded in Casablanca as a united front of African movements opposing Portuguese colonial rule.
- May 30, 1961 – Long time Dominican dictator Rafael Trujillo is assassinated in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.
- June 17, 1961 – The New Democratic Party of Canada is founded by the merger of the Cooperative Commonwealth Federation and the Canadian Labour Congress.
- July 31, 1961 – At Fenway Park in Boston, Massachusetts, the first All-Star Game tie in major league baseball history occurs when the game is stopped in the 9th inning because of rain.
- August 13, 1961 – The German Democratic Republic closes the border between the eastern and western sectors of Berlin to thwart its inhabitants’ attempts to escape to the West.
- September 18, 1961 – U.N. Secretary-General Dag Hammarskjöld dies in a plane crash while attempting to negotiate peace in the war-torn Katanga region of the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- September 19, 1961 – Betty and Barney Hill claim that they saw a mysterious craft in the sky and that it tried to abduct them.
- October 30, 1961 – Because of “violations of Lenin’s precepts”, it is decreed that Joseph Stalin’s body be removed from its place of honour inside Lenin’s tomb and buried near the Kremlin wall with a plain granite marker instead.
Who Were Born On 1961?
- January 1, 1961 – Sam Backo, Australian rugby league footballer
- January 4, 1961 – Lee Curreri, American actor
- March 14, 1961 – Gary Dell'Abate, American radio producer
- May 27, 1961 – Peri Gilpin, American actress
- July 15, 1961 – Jean-Christophe Grangé, French writer and screenwriter
- September 24, 1961 – Luc Picard, Canadian writer
- October 1, 1961 – Gary Ablett, Australian rules footballer
- November 6, 1961 – Florent Pagny, French songwriter and singer
- November 28, 1961 – Martin Clunes, British actor
- December 13, 1961 – Gary Zimmerman, American football player