Create unlimited collages for every occasion, big or small. Share online with animation and music, or print as heartfelt decor, keepsake cards, or frame-worthy gifts. Turn photos into art with Smilebox. It’s FREE - download now! (Sponsored link)
1962 Historical Event(s)
- February 5, 1962 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Tiger in Chinese astrology.
- April 2, 1962 – The first official Panda crossing is opened outside Waterloo station, London.
- April 16, 1962 – Walter Cronkite takes over as the lead news anchor of the CBS Evening News, during which time he would become “the most trusted man in America”.
- July 5, 1962 – The Late Late Show, the world’s longest-running chat show by the same broadcaster, airs on RTÉ One for the first time.
- July 23, 1962 – The International Agreement on the Neutrality of Laos is signed.
- August 15, 1962 – James Joseph Dresnok defects to the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea after running across the Korean DMZ. Dresnok still resides in the capital, Pyongyang.
- August 17, 1962 – East German border guards kill 18-year-old Peter Fechter as he attempts to cross the Berlin Wall into West Berlin becoming one of the first victims of the wall.
- October 25, 1962 – Nelson Mandela is sentenced to five years in prison.
- December 13, 1962 – NASA Relay 1 launch, first active repeater communications satellite in orbit.
Who Were Born On 1962?
- March 2, 1962 – Tom Nordlie, Norwegian football coach
- March 21, 1962 – Mark Waid, American comic book writer
- March 29, 1962 – Billy Beane American baseball player and executive
- May 25, 1962 – Rick Nattress, Canadian ice hockey player
- June 18, 1962 – Mitsuharu Misawa, Japanese professional wrestler (d. 2009)
- June 21, 1962 – Takeshi Asami, Japanese racing driver
- August 4, 1962 – Roger Clemens, American baseball player
- October 16, 1962 – Nico Lazaridis, German footballer
- October 24, 1962 – Dave Blaney, American race car driver
- November 6, 1962 – Aznil Nawawi, Malaysian host, actor and singer